The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

I'm interested in studying optometry at Aston in 2017.
The only thing I'm worried about is that not many uni's offer it, and i'm not really looking to leave london so that leaves me with City university of london whuch i have not even heard about till last week
I'm currently working at specsavers and from September I am planning on going back to college to study a level bio and resit a level chem.

I will be applying for optometry this year at Manchester and Bradford 😏
(edited 7 years ago)
Considering it but as i dont have a science GCSE i rely entirely on an Access course which only Plymouth will accept without the GCSE if i want to do the 3 year optom (dont want to do 4 years, MOtom is pointless).
Not sure its worth it if i can only apply to one uni
Reply 6
How are people getting paid jobs at opticians?
Always apply for optical assistant jobs but they keep saying I need experience!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NTS98
How are people getting paid jobs at opticians?
Always apply for optical assistant jobs but they keep saying I need experience!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Optical assistant is basically retail, get a retail job for experience then apply
Original post by ALittleLost25
Considering it but as i dont have a science GCSE i rely entirely on an Access course which only Plymouth will accept without the GCSE if i want to do the 3 year optom (dont want to do 4 years, MOtom is pointless).
Not sure its worth it if i can only apply to one uni

How is the MOptom pointless? You'll need to complete a pre-reg year anyway before you can register as a optometrist if you graduate with the BSc/BOpto, while the MOpto has the pre-reg year incorporated into its four years. Take a look a UOM for example - students on the MOptom spend their final year in two, six month long clinical placements.
Original post by talenjames
How is the MOptom pointless? You'll need to complete a pre-reg year anyway before you can register as a optometrist if you graduate with the BSc/BOpto, while the MOpto has the pre-reg year incorporated into its four years. Take a look a UOM for example - students on the MOptom spend their final year in two, six month long clinical placements.

Well put it this way.

3 year bsc:

Graduate
Start pre-reg year on a salary of 21k or so
Become qualified optom with 21k better off

MOptom:

Take extra year costing a further £9000+£6000 or so for tuition and housing.
Become qualified optom at the end of it.

I'd rather save all that money and actually start earning, since the end result is the same
Reply 10
Well I tried and ultimately failed to get into optometry this year. Im thinking about now doing an access course and apply in 2017 (again) :colonhash:
Reply 11
I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and Economics and got ACD at AS in them respectively. Looking to study at The University of Manchester :biggrin:
i completed my a levels recently and have got AEE in chemistry biology and psychology respectively. I'll be retaking as an external candidate - biology in the hope i can bump my grade up to an A, also psychology i will be resitting to bump it up to a B, also i might resit a unit from chem to boost my grade to an A*. (My ISA in biology really done me over, and i can't even find a centre that will allow me to resit it :frown:
i will be applying for optom at aston, bradford, anglia ruskin, plymouth and manchester for 2017. Anybody else in a similar situation?
Reply 13
Original post by Ismail786
i completed my a levels recently and have got AEE in chemistry biology and psychology respectively. I'll be retaking as an external candidate - biology in the hope i can bump my grade up to an A, also psychology i will be resitting to bump it up to a B, also i might resit a unit from chem to boost my grade to an A*. (My ISA in biology really done me over, and i can't even find a centre that will allow me to resit it :frown:
i will be applying for optom at aston, bradford, anglia ruskin, plymouth and manchester for 2017. Anybody else in a similar situation?

I missed my offers this year and I'm probably going to resit. I need to resit my ISA's and some AS to be able to get a half decent grade. I was told, however, that re-sitting the AS isn't possible anymore but I'm not 100% sure. I've not yet found a centre to do anything at and ill be applying as an external student also. I just pray and hope I somehow find a place to do it, if not access course at 19.
Do you have to have biology to study optometry? Also if the unis allow you, would it be really hard as you don't have the biology knowledge if you need it?
Thank you
Reply 15
Original post by umz_rana
Do you have to have biology to study optometry? Also if the unis allow you, would it be really hard as you don't have the biology knowledge if you need it?
Thank you

I did biology AS but dropped it second year of 6th form. I don't think you need biology but you would need 2 science A levels at least to do optom. So chemistry and physics maybe?
Original post by a.h123
I did biology AS but dropped it second year of 6th form. I don't think you need biology but you would need 2 science A levels at least to do optom. So chemistry and physics maybe?

I have Chemistry and maths
Reply 17
Original post by umz_rana
I have Chemistry and maths

I think you could, a good idea would be to e-mail unis and find out properly.
im looking to apply too, hoping theyll be lenient lol. AS grades CCE chem bio and english lit :s-smilie: :frown: but hoping predictions will be somewhat better. (ABC?)
Original post by a.h123
I missed my offers this year and I'm probably going to resit. I need to resit my ISA's and some AS to be able to get a half decent grade. I was told, however, that re-sitting the AS isn't possible anymore but I'm not 100% sure. I've not yet found a centre to do anything at and ill be applying as an external student also. I just pray and hope I somehow find a place to do it, if not access course at 19.

Do ophthalmic dispensing at city uni
You transfer after

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest