The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
clasigirlcs
Ooh, non this exam related question (but does apply to general grade boundaries) what are the grade boundaries for coursework? Is the whole of coursework worth 20%? And if so would the stats coursework be 10 and the algebra be 10?

10:10, but just add them up and find a percentage over 48 and multiply it by 20
Daniel77
So, I lost 2 marks in this paper, and 3 marks in the non calc.

(98+97)/2 = 97.5
(97.5/100) * 80 = 78
78 + 16.25 = 94.25%

*melon dances*

If you don't mind me asking, which two did you loose on this paper? I reckon I've lost the three for the bread burger question, but haven't found out any mistakes from this board yet (crosses fingers)
Reply 182
hbk91
WHAT?
NO!

You cannot be serious...I put down x^2-10x+9 = 0...but I used the quadratic formula to wok out the possible values of x instead of using common freakin' sense! How many marks would have I gained out of a possible 5 bearing in mind my solutions were wrong though I managed to get that top quadratic?

I stupidly never recognised the factorising there, but used the quadratic formula to get 9 or 1
Reply 183
clasigirlcs
If you don't mind me asking, which two did you loose on this paper? I reckon I've lost the three for the bread burger question, but haven't found out any mistakes from this board yet (crosses fingers)

2 marks lost on the probability one. I missed out one 36/343 and one 48/343. I drew the tree diagram, so that've gained me one mark out of three
Daniel77
I stupidly never recognised the factorising there, but used the quadratic formula to get 9 or 1

Does it matter though? Half the time in class when we're marking past papers we did for homework, my teacher always assumes we used the formula, but a lot of the time we factorised, so I don't think it matters either way...at least you got the right answers :smile:

edit: sorry, ignore me, wrong post!
Reply 185
this was a good paper though generally speaking, i don't think anyone has to be bothered about losing anything up to 10 marks. I reckon/hope I've got between 90 and 95, which should do ok and cancel out any errors from the non calc paper. But how long were people sitting and waiting at the end of this exam for it to finish? I wasn't doing anything for an hour apart from checking through every so often.

Paul
Reply 186
PaulRus
this was a good paper though generally speaking, i don't think anyone has to be bothered about losing anything up to 10 marks. I reckon/jope I've got between 90 and 95, which should do ok and cancel out any errors from the non calc paper. But how long were people sitting and waiting at the end of this exam for it to finish? I wasn't doing anything for an hour apart from checking through every so often.

Paul

I finished with 40 minutes remaining. I took a sneaky peak around the hall, and most higher people finished with 10 minutes remainig. I think I was the only one in the year to get that 12cm one at the end (my year is only predicted to get 2 A*s for maths)
Reply 187
The end one, for me, only took about a few minutes. That algebraic fraction one took me ages- and I still got it wrong!
Reply 188
hbk91

Guys for the proportion one, did everyone get T=25x?

yep i got that
Reply 189
ah ok, yeh i was quite pleased that the method for finding the height of the cone had just clicked in my head. so the questions i think i've lost marks on that I dont think will be that significant are; 1/2 marks off the quadratic equation thing for only putting one solution, the stratified sample for putting 10 18 and 22, and the probability question for dismissing the need to have various combinations, albeit i might get a mark for drawing a vague tree diagram.
Reply 190
What did everyone put for the question where you have to work out the mean of the 6 numbers? 2 numbers were 29 and eight were 41.
Reply 191
I couldn't stop smiling after the groovy logical procedure to result in 12cm. I'm as sad as Anthea Turner
Reply 192
i put 45
I reckon if the grade boundaries are near 170/200 for an A*, I should hopefully secure an A* (touch wood)...anything higher (i.e - 180/200) is quite worrying though an A* has remained at an average of 160 for June 06 and November 06. They're obviously going higher this year, but how much higher is the question.
Reply 194
wtf Daniel77, your gcse targets are basically identical to mine, lol.
Reply 195
Madigan
What did everyone put for the question where you have to work out the mean of the 6 numbers? 2 numbers were 29 and eight were 41.

Sum of x/8 = 41
sum of x = 328

sum of x/2 = 29
sum of x = 58

(328-58)/6 = 45
Reply 196
Madigan

i got 45 for the average of the other 6
Reply 197
yeh that was the method i used
Reply 198
PaulRus
wtf Daniel77, your gcse targets are basically identical to mine, lol.

Our destiny was to meet on here then 0:-) hehe
hbk91
I reckon if the grade boundaries are near 170/200 for an A*, I should hopefully secure an A* (touch wood)...anything higher (i.e - 180/200) is quite worrying though an A* has remained at an average of 160 for June 06 and November 06. They're obviously going higher this year, but how much higher is the question.

It is out of 240 on each paper not 200.======== Sorry my bad - thought we were talking UMS

Latest