The Student Room Group

Difference between additional maths and further maths at GCSE?

I am 15 years old and in year 10. I have just sat my Maths GCSE a year early.

Next year, I am going to do Ad Maths or Further Maths, however I do not know which yet. What are the differences between the 2 courses?
Reply 1
I'm doing my further maths exam in two weeks and my teacher said it's basically a bridge between gcse maths and a level maths not sure about ad!
Thank you for your quick response. That's what I've heard too, however also the same for Ad Maths. Good luck in your exam!
Reply 3
Original post by TypicalStudent01
Thank you for your quick response. That's what I've heard too, however also the same for Ad Maths. Good luck in your exam!

thank you! :smile:and further maths isn't that bad most of the topics we've seen in gcse (just a bit more complicated obviously) with a couple of new ones
Reply 4
I am 15 years old and in year 10. I have just sat my Maths GCSE a year early.

Next year, I am going to do Ad Maths or Further Maths, however I do not know which yet. What are the differences between the 2 courses?

I sat my maths GCSE in year 9 and was forced to do add maths. Further maths is an extension of gcse but add maths is half an AS and is worth UCAS points
further maths goes very well with things like a level maths and physics if that's what you want to do in the future! :smile:
Original post by nahyr
I sat my maths GCSE in year 9 and was forced to do add maths. Further maths is an extension of gcse but add maths is half an AS and is worth UCAS points

So would you say that Ad Maths is more advanced content than Further Maths? I plan to study Maths for A-level, however would Ad Maths be better seeing as I would already have covered some of the AS course?
Reply 7
So would you say that Ad Maths is more advanced content than Further Maths? I plan to study Maths for A-level, however would Ad Maths be better seeing as I would already have covered some of the AS course?

I would suggest doing the add maths course since it covers quite a bit of A level Core 1 and 2
Some of the content in further maths gcse however does cross over to the A-level content in further maths, such as Matrices

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending