The Student Room Group
there are some online calculators that wil ldo it for u - search google.

if you have multiple income streams it will prbably mess up your tax code- so yes tell the employer. you may have to fill in a form so they can obtain the correct tax code for u.
It's "net" rather than "real" income you're looking for. "Real" means after adjusting for inflation, not taxes.

Work out your total annual income, then apply income tax and national insurance to it, the rates for which are on the HMRC website. Income tax, very approximately, is - first £5k free, next £2k at 10%, the next £33k at 22%, the rest at 40%. National insurance is the first £4.5k or so free, the next £30k-odd at 11%, the rest at 1%.
If you earned £12,000, therefore, you'd pay tax as follows:

INCOME TAX
£5000 free
£2000 @ 10% = £200
£7000 @ 22% = £550

NATIONAL INSURANCE
£4500 free
£7500 @ 11% = £825

Total tax = £1575
Net income = £10425, or £869 a month
Reply 4
and if i earn under 12000? the job is only a summer job..
Reply 5
For a summer job then its unlikely you will earn more than £5225 so you won't lose any to tax, may lose a bit to NI.
Reply 6
alastair
For a summer job then its unlikely you will earn more than £5225 so you won't lose any to tax, may lose a bit to NI.

i'll be earning more then that..more than 5225 and less than 12000... :P so what tax do i pay? i will also have a few grand from my business on top of that.. dont think it will send me to next tax bracket tho
use an online tax calculator and try out all the combinations...
aqfrenzy
i'll be earning more then that..more than 5225 and less than 12000... :P so what tax do i pay? i will also have a few grand from my business on top of that.. dont think it will send me to next tax bracket tho

Just use the method ThePants999 used! It's pretty straight forward. Nobody can tell you how much tax you'd pay without knowing how much you're making.

I hope your job isn't in finance! :wink:
Reply 9
more adventurous
I hope your job isn't in finance! :wink:

it sure is :smile:
Reply 10
If you have a business and are self-assessing rather than standard PAYE then you will be charged at basic rate (22%) on all your job earnings and will then have to claim back when you do your tax return (April).
more adventurous
Just use the method ThePants999 used! It's pretty straight forward. Nobody can tell you how much tax you'd pay without knowing how much you're making.

What she said!

I've given you all the info you need, you just have to do a little bit of maths now.
aqfrenzy
it sure is :smile:

Seriously? :confused:

If you're only going to tell us that you're going to make more than 5225 and less than 12000, then we can only tell you you'll pay more than 0 and less than 1575 in taxes. How could anybody here tell you anything more? :confused:
Reply 13
more adventurous

If you're only going to tell us that you're going to make more than 5225 and less than 12000, then we can only tell you you'll pay more than 0 and less than 1575 in taxes. How could anybody here tell you anything more? :confused:

Ditto.

Income Tax Calculator HERE
Reply 14
more adventurous

i just wanted to know how to calculate it. people have provided links explaining how to do that now so it's all good

thanks ppl

Latest

Trending

Trending