The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Part time job

Hi,

Seeing as I only have 6 weeks of the summer holiday when I can work, and vacancies are not really appearing, I was thinking about definitely taking up some part time work whilst at Durham. I'd probably only want to do say 1 day a week, but is it easy to find jobs in Durham? Are there many you can get at Trevs/university generally. Would it be best to look around as soon as you get your results - I imagine lots of people must want a small pool of jobs.

Any tips or ideas?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apply for a buttery or bar job in Trevs when you arrive, it's good money and relatively flexible work :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Are there many vacancies there? The buttery sounds good :smile:
Reply 3
I'm thinking of maybe applying to work at a bar. I've always wanted to work in one, but it's so difficult to find a job in one here.
Reply 4
NickiM
Are there many vacancies there? The buttery sounds good :smile:

I'm thinking about applying for a job in the buttery too :biggrin:
Reply 5
What's a 'buttery' ?
Reply 6
Bar jobs are nice enough, especially if you live in college. It's difficult to get that many hours though. I'd say it'd be difficult to make more than 30 quid a week though, unless you're a senior server.

edit: oh, and the interviews aren't too bad either. Just ooze responsibility and you'll get it. :biggrin:
Reply 7
At Collingwood you pretty much have to be an A team footballer or a reveered rugbying legend to get on the bar comm. I really want to, but unfortunately don't fit the criteria, and lack banter!

:-O
Reply 8
The buttery is the college shop (not every college has one), and in Trevs it sells everything from stationery, DVD rentals, lollies, chocolate etc plus a toastie bar :biggrin: they're pretty much always on the lookout for new staff so it seems, so chances are good if you show the right attitude :smile:
Reply 9
Does Hatfield have one? :smile:
Reply 10
J-Curve
Does Hatfield have one? :smile:

Not that I know of...but Hatfield is only up a little hill from town anyway, a couple of minutes' walk :smile:
Does Aidans? :biggrin:

/me might have started the trend of people asking whether <insert college name> has a buttery!
Reply 12
angus_mcfisher
Does Aidans? :biggrin:

/me might have started the trend of people asking whether <insert college name> has a buttery!

Yes, lol
Hild Bede doesn't, but there's quite a few bar jobs, the library jobs are decent and you basically just sit there and man the desk while no one comes in, so you're free to read, listen to music, whatever. Also, they were talking of creating jobs for post sorters but I don't know if that ever came about.
Reply 14
Library jobs are great! It's paid time to do your homework.
Reply 15
Exactly! I want to work in a library next year (hopefully)!
Reply 16
I'm not sure about other colleges, but in Mildert it's possible to work in the servery/canteen (as well as the bar and shop). You get about 3 hours work in a shift, and people typically work 2 shifts a week, banking around £30. I do think it's possible to work more or less if you want to though.
RobbieC
At Collingwood you pretty much have to be an A team footballer or a reveered rugbying legend to get on the bar comm. I really want to, but unfortunately don't fit the criteria, and lack banter!

:-O

Yeah, bar comms are notoriously difficult to get on in a lot of colleges- I've heard that several places screen bar staff on 'attractiveness' (so that people will come and buy drinks in order to flirt with the bar staff, apparently). But I think all/most colleges have a shop that needs staff, and usually a library, or you can get work at the DSU (which is only 15/20 mins away from Trevs), and there are plenty of bars and shops in town. Also, you can often pick up temp work by checking the Job Shop board in the DSU.
Reply 18
Trevs bar is full of fit people.

I am living evidence. :cool:

ahem...
Reply 19
Durham is generally full of good looking people.

Latest