The Student Room Group

Is it still possible? Help quickly please!

Hey guys, basically ive got myself into a bit of a state worrying about whether I should take medicine or not. I hadnt really considered it till recently and now I feel I may have left it too late. I just wanted to find out whether if I decided to persue the idea would I still be able to do it.

I have very good GCSE grades and am doing A levels in Chemistry Maths and Psychology with a History AS. Predicted A's all round.
I havent got work experience and I havent done the UKCAT exam but I think both of those would be possible in the time remaining. Do you think id get considered if I said I had recently started voluntary work at a hospis or somethnig as my experience?

Also I havent got Biology as an A level, though I would defineltly take it up as an AS if I decided to do medicine, would this bias the unis against me, especially the ones that ask for at least an A in AS bio, would they consider me because I wouldnt have the grade to write down.

Thanks for any help, really apprciated
Reply 1
If you want to apply, and you don't then you will deffinatly regret it.
I suggest you do take up biology up to AS atleast, as it is the main concept of the course.
Deffinatly start work experience as soon as possible, ask your local GP and generally any care work would help.
You should book your UKCAT & BMAT soon as the date are quickly getting packed.
Good luck!
Wow, the guy a month or so ago was pushing it, but you mate!
:p:

Definitely pick up the AS Bio.
Reply 3
You've left it very late. It's still possible to apply, but I don't think you will be able to arrange any work experience or voluntary work before the UCAS deadline, which will make writing a good PS very difficult.

Maybe take a gap year and apply post A-level. It'll give you time to prepare
Reply 4
Aye Johnny C has it right...might want to take up a cram course A2 bio in one year as well.
Reply 5
Because this is your last ever chance you'll ever have to apply and all medicine courses will close after October?
Do you mean you want to try to do medicine THIS september?! I would imagine almost all of the places will be full - medicine doesn't really do clearing! Plus, even if by some miracle you got in for september- it doesn't really sound like you're fully prepared to start the course. Take a gap year and do all the relevant work experience etc.
If its something you only recently started considering, slow down. You don't have to apply this October, you can take a gap year. After all, you wouldn't want to rush into it and discover, once you're at medical school, that you don't like it, would you? Get some work experience, get some long-term voluntary stuff sorted, and really think hard about whether you want to be a doctor or whether you want to apply for medicine because you did well at school. There's just over two months until applications are due, so it is possible to do it, but honestly, I don't think you'll find work exp in time. And you definately can't get several months of voluntary work in before the deadline. Good luck, though.

Latest

Trending

Trending