The Student Room Group

An odd request perhaps...

Ok, so I am about to start my 4 year MChem at York, and I am happy with this as I really enjoy chemistry. However, I never know what I want to do career wise, I was wondering what options there would be with animals. I absolutely adore reptiles etc, and I was wondering potential job opportunities in that kind of area with that particular degree.

Thankyou
Goodkat
Ok, so I am about to start my 4 year MChem at York, and I am happy with this as I really enjoy chemistry. However, I never know what I want to do career wise, I was wondering what options there would be with animals. I absolutely adore reptiles etc, and I was wondering potential job opportunities in that kind of area with that particular degree.

Thankyou

Animal testing?

Testing out potentially dangerous drugs/medicines/chemicals on chimps and other animals. I suppose this isn't what you're looking for, but it's the first thing that comes to mind if you want to be a chemist and work with animals.
Goodkat

Thankyou

Well, aside from animal testing (or research for animals) I'd say make romphing sure that you use your time at Uni to the best of your ability. The extra things that you do can count as much as your course.
The things I regret most about my time at UWS are the things I didn't do (yeah, that includes coursework) but I loved the time I spent shepherding drunk firstyears round the beer race circuit, the days on the hill with the DofE unit and the road trips with the Physics Soc (CERN baby!).
You've got 3 years to look for jobs as you'll want to be looking for placements by your final year at the latest but have a look when you get there, see what the staff recommend and see if you can get some summer placements or a year out to try out a few things.
Oh yeah, see if there's any courses to do with animal toxicology (sp?), anything with TTX ;D this could lead to a job you may find interesting.
TTX is a good idea...if you like neurophysiology! Still, good way to work with animals.

Latest

Trending

Trending