The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It'll be OK! Good luck! :biggrin:
I'm looking to do a lot of travehelling on my gap year but that's not until after my exams are over in June.
im doing the same but in july and august after exams...few of my older mates have done it and said it was the best thing they have ever done..so i cant wat :biggrin:
Reply 3
I did it with one friend, but I reckon doing it alone would be more fun. You meet so many people in different hostels and on trains, anyone with a rucksack would love to talk to you! I moved countries for my gap year alone and yes it was scary, but also fabulous. It can be the most amazing experience ever. Where are you planning on going?
Reply 4
oh i want to go round europe in april but your braver than me, im too scared to go by myself!! x
Reply 5
I'm going around Northern Europe by myself this july if all goes well. Going be train and boat all the way :smile:
Reply 6
I'm hoping to travel Europe after I've finished my A levels (late 2008, early 2009), by train (InterRail). Are you planning on booking all accommodation in advance (ie in UK), or will you be phoning hostels and hotels desperately as your train rolls into the station? That would require some serious language skills, and much luck! Imagine if you ended up in some obscure soviet-style city without speaking the language. I guess with InterRail, if you didn't find any accommodation you could just go somewhere else nice!
Alone is good I think, I'm hoping to be really independent for the first time in my life, without anyone I know to rely on. It's like a challenge I've set myself. :smile:
Reply 7
I went backpacking by myself around bits of Europe (and Oz) last year, and I met a hell of a lot of people out there who were also backpacking alone, so it is not uncommon. Where are you thinking of going?
Reply 8
Laur
I'm hoping to travel Europe after I've finished my A levels (late 2008, early 2009), by train (InterRail). Are you planning on booking all accommodation in advance (ie in UK), or will you be phoning hostels and hotels desperately as your train rolls into the station? That would require some serious language skills, and much luck! Imagine if you ended up in some obscure soviet-style city without speaking the language. I guess with InterRail, if you didn't find any accommodation you could just go somewhere else nice!
Alone is good I think, I'm hoping to be really independent for the first time in my life, without anyone I know to rely on. It's like a challenge I've set myself. :smile:

I'm going to northern Europe (scandinavia and the baltic) this July, for but one month. I'm aiming not to plan it at all. Just decide on some places I would rather like to see should I decide to. Who knows, I make take the ferry to shetland, something I've always wanted to do.
Reply 9
ukebert
I'm going to northern Europe (scandinavia and the baltic) this July, for but one month.

That's where I went. Make sure you go to Helsinki, I loved it there :smile:
Reply 10
I will :smile:
I went around Europe in August and September with my friend. I have to say I strongly recommend getting a Interail (or Eurail if you're a non-EU citizen like me) cuz you get to see so much more!! People in Youth Hostels are great as well, it's worth staying there just to meet all the cool people!!
I want to go around europe beginning of my gap year (after exams in june) but that's the problem I've got no one to go with because my friends are wetties or don't want to leave their boyfriends and I reaalllly don't know if I want to go by myself!
:dito: :frown:
It's gutting! Where are you wanting to go to??
umm....the obvious countries lol..like germany, france, spain etc...but was also looking into the east because people have told me its looooads cheaper out there...u?
yeah i was thinking of flying to the east then interrailing my way back west through italy, south coast of france, spain (barcelona, valencia, seville, madrid), then up the other side of france to netherlands then germany... but yeah just not sure if I have the courage!!
I'll come with you! I promise not to stalk you much afterwards.
Avec qui? Charlotte08 or moi??
GlitteryFairy
Avec qui? Charlotte08 or moi??

You...but I was joking. Although having said I was joking, I would do it anyway, that would be cool.

Latest