The Student Room Group

Failed the Numeracy test question

I failed by 2 marks, and the print-out stated that the Mental Arithmetic section was the culprit. I knew I had answered one or two wrong near the start, which slowed me down and made me panic even more. I hurried typing in an answer, worked it out, was about to type it in and bam, next question. As I was frequently getting 70%+ marks on the online practice questions AND the 6 mock tests in popular books, I kind of went in feeling relieved that it would all be over soon.

I was expecting lots of 8km = 5 miles; 7/20 didn't have school dinners; 5/8 of 670; Euros to Pounds or vice versa; speed = distance divided by time; 1/8 = 12.5%; 2500ml divided into containers/bottles; 16 tasks in 15 mins; teacher and his/her mileage claims; ratio of boys to girls (how many in a school); buys 8 books for £1.56; all of which I find easy and yet none of these appeared and I failed? I also had a job interview before my test, so maybe if I hadn't gone it would have been less stressful? Is it anxiety/stress or am I just dumb?

Anybody else fail the numeracy test? I also got a question on radius in the second section, which is probably easy to work out but none of my training materials covered that and I just couldn't stop thinking about the silly mistakes in the first section.
(edited 5 years ago)
It sucks that you failed, but at least you know what to expect next time.

If it's only two marks you failed by, you can definitely pass.

Maybe having a calmer day beforehand will help?

If you can, try not to worry about getting a question wrong, just try to move past it and stay chilled.

Have another go and I am sure you will be fine!
I thought that I had failed. Cried during my whole test.

But my suggestion is to get one of the qts books from your local library, practice those ( they often break down the test into different sections. I have been using " how to pass the QTS numeracy and literacy skills test" By Chris Tyreman). Practicing a time table square helped me as well.

If you were only a question or two away from getting it then the next test might just be a better test and you could pass with flying colors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending