The Student Room Group

plz read this...medlink 2004...dilemma

hey.
i know there have been loads of threads of medlink in the past...but i've started this one because i need some advice.
my friend went on medlink last year and said that it's mainly for people who don't know what they want to do-medlink tries to convince people to do it. However, I am pretty convinced and want to do medicine-so should i still go? My friend also said that medsim is much better as there is more hands on stuff involved. My am completely confused noww...my parents have told me that i could go on both but i'm still not sure if medlink is worth it.
does anyone know the website address for medsim?

thanks for any advice
sg
Reply 1
I went to both last year, I was unsure if medicine was the career for me so I went to medlink to find out more about medicine and met many students considering a career in medicine like myself. Also there are lots of lectures on various specialities in medicine and you meet gps, hospital consultants that tell you about their job and what lies ahead.. its useful stuff but it is quite expensive and I dont belive its really worth the £200! you could spend £30 on books and search the net and will have more information than a medlink student. They advertise that you'll get to see a live operation but last year our group was one of the last to go in so we didn't get too see much, you see the operatio via a live video camera linked to the lecture room. If you watch that plastic surgery programme on channel five, it pretty much the same as that and thats live aswell.

Medsim is more practical based hand on stuff, its definately useful, I really recommend medsim because it was truly a great experience and when you do your work experiences you see how everything ties in eg patiant diagnosis.

If you can afford it medism is worth it, some of the lecturers even repeat the same jokes at medlink and medsim. Its a commercial money making business but because they are the only ones who do these courses on such a large scale they are popular. In my opinion they certainly aren't popular because of the vital information and experience they give!!
S-K i totally agree with u i went on medlink only n everythin dey tel u u can find out about on the internet or thru other cheaper medicine related courses. it is a money makin scheme and cos so many students put it on ther personal statement ur not rly that much better off. medsim is meant to b very good, but i dont think u shud go on medlink n medsim, jus medsim.
Reply 3
go, it's wiked. i loved it, every second of it. bit heavy on money though. pocket was a bit burnt.
Hey! I'd say Medsim was more for you if you know what you wanna do - like you say, it's more hands on and you get thrown into stuff (well, we did when I went a couple of years ago!) Just be prepared for not much sleep!!
B x
Reply 5
i went on medisix, around march/april, which is supposed to be about the same as medlink... i dont know why its got a different name. any way it was awesome cause i didnt really think i wanted do medicine but thought i shud check it out in case i liked it. goin out at night was a treat though some lectures can be skipped such as the paramedic one... unless u wana be a paramedic of course.
medsim was a lot better, practical stuff was wicked - nearly fell outta the ambulance on the callout in the middle of the night - and u meet so many cool people. if u had to choose, go for medsim, though u have to go early and cover some stuff about using a stethoscope i think. if u can afford to go on both then go on both its really gud. nottingham nightlife is very good indeed, its kind of like being at uni.. i wish i cud do it all again but i have A2 work now and ucas was done ages ago :frown:
Reply 6
If u wanna go for the 'uni feel', then there are def cheaper ways. Some unis offer a course in a summer for various things, but they are wayyyy cheaper. For instance, I went to Bham Uni a few years ago, 5 day course, so much more included and for £25!!

Latest