The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevelzzz
If someone where to study dentistry at a non target university, would it make a difference to banks? Considering I'd have a level/gcse results very similar to the average IBer and my course would have been just as, if not more difficult? I might be doing dentistry at plymouth peninsula, since its one of my choices and very good for dentistry.(7A*3A GCSE A*A*A*A a levels) and just wanted to know what my options would look like...

Like virtually no chance at a 1st tier bank if you are at a complete non-target, 2nd tier is also very hard as you don't have a related degree or university prestige.

Which university is it?
Original post by RAV 123
Chemical engineering is a very very hard degree to get at a good university, and for banking I would say University Name>Degree you pick. So for example, LSE course in Economics and Economic history, easy course with AAB requirements would be better to land interviews than something like Chem Eng at Leeds which is A*AA and more challenging.

This is what I've thought; and, cos I excelled at economics and history in my AS exams, my head of sixth form did suggest something like economics and history if I'm keen on going to a prestigious university/one with a good name.

If I get A*AA (or maybe even A*A*A) after retakes alongside A2s (ie A-levels taken within 2 years and no more), and alright ECs, but only 1A* at GCSE, what are your thoughts on my chances for getting to LSE or equivalent unis (targets) for 'easier' [to get into] courses, such as Economics and History?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wisefire
This is what I've thought; and, cos I excelled at economics and history in my AS exams, my head of sixth form did suggest something like economics and history if I'm keen on going to a prestigious university/one with a good name.

If I get A*AA (or maybe even A*A*A) after retakes alongside A2s (ie A-levels taken within 2 years and no more), and alright ECs, but only 1A* at GCSE, what are your thoughts on my chances for getting to LSE or equivalent unis (targets) for 'easier' [to get into] courses, such as Economics and History?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are your predictions?
Original post by RAV 123

Misunderstood what you said, so you are applying after A2. With a*aa/a*a*a you would have a great chance especially if your a*'s are with economics and history.
Original post by RAV 123

Unknown. More than likely I'm taking a gap year/reapplying. I'd only apply to the targets with A*AA or better (which I will very much attempt to get, believe me), so the grades will be definite/no predictions. As Adjustment is now open with Warwick and UCL, I may be able to get in this year, especially with the new rules on unlimited places for 'top' students/ABB and better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RAV 123
Misunderstood what you said, so you are applying after A2. With a*aa/a*a*a you would have a great chance especially if your a*'s are with economics and history.

Yes, that is my aim. Motivating. YES :biggrin:

I mean, if I got into a target London university like LSE/UCL, I'd be over the moon. I'm in London, and my chances of getting into banking would be high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey, I have 2 questions:

1) If I have 8A*s, 2As and a C(literature) at GCSE will Universities such as LSE look down on the C and reject me. Or will they ignore the C and see it as a sort of anomaly? That is if I get competitive Alevels for the course

2) Secondly, I have never studied history and do not plan to at A level but I just wanted to ask if courses such as economic history require a history background as well as economic. Or just you just learn about the economy of the past but it is not very history heavy?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RAV 123
Like virtually no chance at a 1st tier bank if you are at a complete non-target, 2nd tier is also very hard as you don't have a related degree or university prestige.

Which university is it?

I really cant see the logic behind that, surely banks would appreciate that my degree is in DENTISTRY and not just some other degree? Also my a level and gcse results
I really cant see the logic behind that, surely banks would appreciate that my degree is in DENTISTRY and not just some other degree? Also my a level and gcse results

Which university is it? Banks care mostly about the prestige of the university, then the persons interview, then the degree. Cheese studies at LSE would get an interview.
Original post by harmingjuli
Hey, I have 2 questions:

1) If I have 8A*s, 2As and a C(literature) at GCSE will Universities such as LSE look down on the C and reject me. Or will they ignore the C and see it as a sort of anomaly? That is if I get competitive Alevels for the course

2) Secondly, I have never studied history and do not plan to at A level but I just wanted to ask if courses such as economic history require a history background as well as economic. Or just you just learn about the economy of the past but it is not very history heavy?

1) is no problem at all, I guarantee they will ignore it.

2) is a problem. You have to show interest to do a course. It is hard to explain your extreme passion to do a historic course at university having not done any history at A-level.
Original post by RAV 123
Which university is it? Banks care mostly about the prestige of the university, then the persons interview, then the degree. Cheese studies at LSE would get an interview.

its plymouth peninsula, but again, the average grades on my course would be similar to that of oxbridge,LSE and definitely exceed those at nottingham, bristol etc

Would banks really think someone whos doing a medicine/dentistry at a 'lower' university is less able than someone doing econ at a higher uni? I would have though there would be an exception...
its plymouth peninsula, but again, the average grades on my course would be similar to that of oxbridge,LSE and definitely exceed those at nottingham, bristol etc

Would banks really think someone whos doing a medicine/dentistry at a 'lower' university is less able than someone doing econ at a higher uni? I would have though there would be an exception...

It is going to be hard for you to get into investment banking.

Banks don't have time to read all the applications which is the real problem as they will simply pool the LSE/UCL/Warwick applications etc universities and barely read the other applications, maybe a couple from Notts or something like that. It is also going to be very hard for you to get an internship as your uni wont be linked, and your course is unrelated.

Why don't you go into dentistry? 9-5, incredible pay, freedom?

Mate, make a dental practice, make £140k+, maybe up to £200k. Same as a senior IB role. Anything higher is trading/high-flying FO banking, and they're all £300k+, and you know, some on millions. But those guys trump most. They're the Imperial engineering grads. Do the best in dentistry and you'd be on par/very close to IB, with less stress probably?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RAV 123

Banks don't have time to read all the applications which is the real problem as they will simply pool the LSE/UCL/Warwick applications etc universities and barely read the other applications, maybe a couple from Notts or something like that. It is also going to be very hard for you to get an internship as your uni wont be linked, and your course is unrelated.

Alevelzzz: pay-wise, I'd rather take, alright, 11 hours a day as a dentist, earning £165k, then an FO IB earning £165k on 14-17 hours a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RAV 123

Dont get me wrong lol, I like dentistry, I was just asking to see what my chances were if I had a change of mind in 5 years time.

TRUST ME, I wouldn't be changing from dentistry to IB for the money - it would be for the atmosphere
Original post by Wisefire
Alevelzzz: pay-wise, I'd rather take, alright, 11 hours a day as a dentist, earning £165k, then an FO IB earning £165k on 14-17 hours a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, I wouldn't be switching for the money - it would INFACT be for the hours, intensity of being a banker.

And lol, not a single dentist on the planet will be working 11 hours a day LOL
Again, I wouldn't be switching for the money - it would INFACT be for the hours, intensity of being a banker.

Really? Dentists work less? Haha. Yeah, one great lure of banking for me is the hours. I absolutely, genuinely adore the idea of being mentally used up, coming out of a classy, shiny office in Canary Wharf (which I love), at 2am... That image in my head is awesome. That's my idea of doing something no one else is doing. Something highly special, unique, fulfilling and rewarding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RAV 123
1) is no problem at all, I guarantee they will ignore it.

2) is a problem. You have to show interest to do a course. It is hard to explain your extreme passion to do a historic course at university having not done any history at A-level.

Alright, thanks. I'll go for straight econ than.

At hospitals they do. So basically any dentist who decides to specilise they will be working long hours in their junior years, same as doctors. :smile:
Original post by RAV 123
Economics anything at LSE = interview. Go for that one.

What year of university are you in? Don't tell him rubbish. If youre not at university, even more so, don't tell him rubbish. To the other guy, chem with man is a v good course, I know that much, any of those is fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending