The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

What were ur alevels if u dont mind me asking?
Original post by fgur987
What were ur alevels if u dont mind me asking?

A*A*A, they didn't really care about that though, was more based off my uni and achievements there
I go to an Oxbridge equivalent in the US (top target school) but am English so applying for jobs in London. My overall GPA is equivalent to a 2:1 (and not a high one) but a 1st for my subject. My degree is in politics and international relations but I do quantitative things like coding as part of my research. Only got AAA in a levels in maths econ and a language but 11 A*s at gcse. Competed at the world championships for my sport (which is a pretty popular one) last year and have three pieces of work experience which aren't at big companies but are interesting, relevant and gave me a lot of responsibility. I want to go into consulting and am applying for internships in January. Do I stand a decent chance of getting interviews?
Original post by aliceg32
I go to an Oxbridge equivalent in the US (top target school) but am English so applying for jobs in London. My overall GPA is equivalent to a 2:1 (and not a high one) but a 1st for my subject. My degree is in politics and international relations but I do quantitative things like coding as part of my research. Only got AAA in a levels in maths econ and a language but 11 A*s at gcse. Competed at the world championships for my sport (which is a pretty popular one) last year and have three pieces of work experience which aren't at big companies but are interesting, relevant and gave me a lot of responsibility. I want to go into consulting and am applying for internships in January. Do I stand a decent chance of getting interviews?

Good profile but it's very late in the application process
Original post by Mos Def
Nah, you can say a hell of a great chance, but how do you know they will get in?

Sometimes it is more about the interview process and your application. I would recommend practising psychometric tests and video interviews. This will further your chance of getting the job, especially with good grades. :smile:
The best IBs and consultants that I know shot their way to the top through dogged determination, consistency, network, and a positive 'keep getting up' attitude. I've not met one that's ever mentioned grades. Life is nothing to do with someone else's bars to jump over imo. You want it, go get it!
Hey all, after receiving spring week and internship offers from multiple BB and EB banks and MBB consulting firms, I wrote a guide on getting into IB/ consulting from the perspective of someone that has done it.

Check it out here: https://clover-guide-ef2.notion.site...6d07d29d48bdf4.

It covers CVs, cover letters, and even how to figure out which industry is right for you.
Original post by Drogue
As well as university and course comparisons, we seem to be getting a lot of threads asking "Am I good enough for IB/C" with something about someone's grades, university, extra curriculars, work experience, etc. This thread is for all those questions.

Bristol Uni - Law - 2.1
Alevels: A*AA
GCSE:5A* 4A 1B

Looking for consulting
Reply 4368
I think that grades are really a tick mark. For high finance / consultancy careers, other factors play a much bigger role in you getting the job (target uni, level of preparation, involvement in societies, work experience, etc.).

As long as your grades get you into your top choice uni (preferably a UK target like Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/UCL/Warwick), there is no reason to worry about academics thereafter. Make sure to get above a 2.1 at uni though.
Canary Wharfian has lots of useful info on high finance careers and how to break in to the field. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to share the link but if you Google it you’ll find it, highly recommended.
Awesome
Original post by prospectivEEconomist
I might as well start. Do I have a chance at middle office in a BB, or front office/corporate role at a second/third/high street bank?
A levels: A maths A Chem A Biology
Degree: Bsc Economics
University: Nottingham

You don't need a degree to land a middle office role at any investment bank. Your qualifications meet the typical standard for a FO role, assuming you have the necessary skills and experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending