The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
bubba.ok
how about something like Business Mathematics & Statistics, or law?

I'm not sure of the different degrees LSE offer, but if they do that first one then that sounds good (apart from the business part :p:). I'm not sure about law... it's a highly competitive course, especially at LSE, but would it prepare you as well for IB? I suppose the only person who could answer that would be someone in graduate admissions in IB, rather than someone like me who has yet to take his A-Levels :smile:
Reply 581
Brown_Bateman
In terms of prospects, imo

LSE Business Mathematics & Statistics >= Warwick Economics
Warwick Economics > LSE Law

A law degree will somewhat limit your IB prospects to certain desks (IBD, Compliance etc).

can you just clarify the difference between IBD and IB? thanks.
How would IB's look upon a first class degree in mathematics from Edinburgh, and do you think an MSc/MA would have a large effect on my chances?
prospectivEEconomist
I thought thats what the Big 4 did :cool:

Are you stupid?
Reply 584
Pillar of Autumn
Are you stupid?

Think your missing the joke lol
Haz313
Think your missing the joke lol

An exaggeration perhaps but how a joke?
Reply 586
Pillar of Autumn
An exaggeration perhaps but how a joke?

Do you really not get it?
Think big 4... Think ticking boxes...
any easier?:P
Reply 587
What I want to know is this:

How big of an advantage does having done a first year internship give you? I know that in the UK, most companies don't offer 1st year internships (I am talking about summer ones, not spring programs) but where I am from, they do.
Would having worked in a bank after my first year give me a huge advantage over someone who spent their summer doing some kind of temporary catering job or something of the sort? (assuming that otherwise my academic and other achievements are up to what the bank is expecting)
teriaki
What I want to know is this:

How big of an advantage does having done a first year internship give you? I know that in the UK, most companies don't offer 1st year internships (I am talking about summer ones, not spring programs) but where I am from, they do.
Would having worked in a bank after my first year give me a huge advantage over someone who spent their summer doing some kind of temporary catering job or something of the sort? (assuming that otherwise my academic and other achievements are up to what the bank is expecting)
Depends on what bank. If it's reasonably well know, then yes. As you've said, not many places offer any meaningful work experience for 1st years, so for anyone who has a summer internship, it will be a great plus. I;d even go as far as saying that it'll give you a tremendous advantage over other, more generic, applicants. Also, having myself done an internship in my 1st year, it definately more than made up for the shortfalls in my academic record.
Reply 589
uthinkilltellu
Depends on what bank. If it's reasonably well know, then yes. As you've said, not many places offer any meaningful work experience for 1st years, so for anyone who has a summer internship, it will be a great plus. I;d even go as far as saying that it'll give you a tremendous advantage over other, more generic, applicants. Also, having myself done an internship in my 1st year, it definately more than made up for the shortfalls in my academic record.

Thank you that is good to hear. The bank I am looking to do my internship is Swedbank- I don't know how well known that is in Britain but it is the largest bank in Sweden and the Baltics.
And what about an internship in a finance role in a non banking company? I assume that should still be a lot better than somebody with no business internship experience at all.
Reply 590
uthinkilltellu

How did you manage to get an internship in your first year? Contacts?
Reply 591
I need to get an internship however I'm reluctant to apply as I have a strong suspicion that applications get sent straight to junk/trash.
Reply 592
Nishil
I need to get an internship however I'm reluctant to apply as I have a strong suspicion that applications get sent straight to junk/trash.

I think one of the pre-requisites that they list on their applications is "must be in penultament year at university". I'm assuming you meant applying while your in first year? No harm in trying tho, the worst you can get is a "no".
Reply 593
The thing that really annoys me are the fact that a lot of them dont even bother replying. I'm a second year and I probably know more then all their current interns. I think I might just call up someone important and explain the situation.
Reply 594
I wouldn't be getting too hung up on it tbh if i was you. Go and enjoy probably one of your last real free summers instead of hoping for an internship which is mainly based for candidates a year above you. You've got good credentials by the looks of it(Penn or MIT wherever it is that you go:p:) so you shouldn't really have any problems getting it next year. If your really that bothered why not try a few weeks shadowing at something related? Doesn't have to be a BB.
But then again, i'm not the most reliable sources of information to trust so might as well wait for someone with IB experience to tell you what to do. Just my two cents :tongue:
Reply 595
Nishil
The thing that really annoys me are the fact that a lot of them dont even bother replying. I'm a second year and I probably know more then all their current interns. I think I might just call up someone important and explain the situation.

if ur that keen, gets some financial experience at a local brokerage, in addition to spring weeks. but to be honest, you can still get a summer internship in your 2nd year without any financial experience. its been done before.

competencies are crucial.
Reply 596
I'm in the US I've never heard of us having a spring week. I'm just going to try calling the head honchos at a couple of local brokerages see if I can flex my brain a bit.
Reply 597
Haz313

It depends on the country. In the UK, first year internships are uncommon but in other places in Europe, such things do occur.

But on top of that, I just found out that the dad of one of my former classmates and good friends is a member of the board, CIO and basically no. 2 guy in the largest bank in my country. :biggrin:
Haz313
No. My internship was in civil service. They don't 'convert' anyone to fast stream, so they don't really care about whether you are penultimate, or non-penultimate student. But, if you are good enough, they do 'encourage' you to apply as a graduate, and earrmark you for themselves.
uthinkilltellu
No. My internship was in civil service. They don't 'convert' anyone to fast stream, so they don't really care about whether you are penultimate, or non-penultimate student. But, if you are good enough, they do 'encourage' you to apply as a graduate, and earrmark you for themselves.

Was that the HMRC one??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending