The Student Room Group

2022 Veterinary Medicine Applicants

Hi guys!
I just thought I'd make this thread for anyone applying to to study vet med at university in 2022.
It can be a place for us to talk about our application and work experience and also somewhere to get to know each other.

Here are some questions we can answer:

What GCSE's have you taken?
What A Level options have you taken?
Which vet schools interest you the most?
How much work experience?

I'll go first:

1. I took Maths, English Language, English Literature,Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, History, R.S, Spanish

2. I chose Maths, Chemistry and Biology as well as an EPQ

3. I am interested in Bristol, Cambridge, Nottingham and Liverpool Vet Schools

4. I had a placement at a SA Vets and a stable in the summer but they've both been cancelled. I am also looking to find placements in LA Vets, Farms and lambing

Volunteer Note: Please be aware that for everyone's safety TSR prohibits sharing or advertising of group chats on other social media platforms. Any posts or PMs mentioning group chats need to be reported please.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by not.a.tree
Hi guys!
I just thought I'd make this thread for anyone applying to to study vet med at university in 2022.
It can be a place for us to talk about our application and work experience and also somewhere to get to know each other.

I'll go first:

1. I took Maths, English Language, English Literature,Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, History, R.S, Spanish

4. I had a placement at a SA Vets and a stable in the summer but they've both been cancelled. I am also looking to find placements in LA Vets, Farms and lambing

Hi :smile: I appreciate this is a thread for you applicants - just wanted to let you know that I'm a current first year Nottingham vet student, happy to answer any questions about the course, my vet school or applying in general. Good luck with your application!
Hi guys!

I'll go first:

Are you currently in year 11? If so I am as well, and it would be great to have someone at the same stage as me to talk to!
1) I did English Lit, English Lang, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, French and Food

2) I have chosen Chemistry, Biology and Maths

3) I am honestly open to all universities as of now, but I am especially interested in Edinburgh, Nottingham and Surrey

4) I have done work at kennels but not that much, I was hoping to get lots done in the summer holidays (due to the long summer I would have gotten after GCSE) but who knows what will happen now because of corona
Reply 4
Original post by lcal12345
Are you currently in year 11? If so I am as well, and it would be great to have someone at the same stage as me to talk to!

YES! I am in Yr 11 and i have been looking for someone in my year with the same goal!

Original post by lcal12345
1) I did English Lit, English Lang, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, French and Food

2) I have chosen Chemistry, Biology and Maths

3) I am honestly open to all universities as of now, but I am especially interested in Edinburgh, Nottingham and Surrey

4) I have done work at kennels but not that much, I was hoping to get lots done in the summer holidays (due to the long summer I would have gotten after GCSE) but who knows what will happen now because of corona

Yeah, I know what you mean. All of mine has been cancelled, so I'm just trying to organise some more work experience for myself after lockdown in year 12
Hi guys, I'm a current Liverpool vet student and have also done a biovet degree previously. I don't want to intrude on this thread too much because it's for you guys, but feel free to pm me if you have any questions :smile: The ask a vet med student is also a good source!
Reply 6
Original post by 123vet
Hi :smile: I appreciate this is a thread for you applicants - just wanted to let you know that I'm a current first year Nottingham vet student, happy to answer any questions about the course, my vet school or applying in general. Good luck with your application!

Original post by vetstudent123
Hi guys, I'm a current Liverpool vet student and have also done a biovet degree previously. I don't want to intrude on this thread too much because it's for you guys, but feel free to pm me if you have any questions :smile: The ask a vet med student is also a good source!

Thank you! I will definitely remember to pm you if I have any question. :smile:
Hi guys!

I'll go first:

GCSE: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Spanish, English Lit And Language, Geography, History and Design Technology: Resistant Materials.
A Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Geography
Vet Schools: Nottingham, Edinburgh and RVC all look good, I am looking for a vet school that has a lot of practical though
Work Experience: 3+ years of working with Camelids, 2 years of City Farm work, 1 week at a small animal Veterinary surgery, 9 months at a riding stables and 3 months at a cattery I was hoping for 1 week at a large animal farm and a mixed rescue centre this summer and a week at a vets in October but I’m not sure if Corona will let me😂I’m trying to find a placement for lambing and a large animal vets for 2021 in South Yorkshire so hopefully everything is fine by then!
Reply 8
Original post by jackabee46
GCSE: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Spanish, English Lit And Language, Geography, History and Design Technology: Resistant Materials.
A Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Geography
Vet Schools: Nottingham, Edinburgh and RVC all look good, I am looking for a vet school that has a lot of practical though
Work Experience: 3+ years of working with Camelids, 2 years of City Farm work, 1 week at a small animal Veterinary surgery, 9 months at a riding stables and 3 months at a cattery I was hoping for 1 week at a large animal farm and a mixed rescue centre this summer and a week at a vets in October but I’m not sure if Corona will let me😂I’m trying to find a placement for lambing and a large animal vets for 2021 in South Yorkshire so hopefully everything is fine by then!

YOU HAVE SO MUCH!!!
I dont even have a week at a vets :frown:.
How did you get 3 months at a cattery? Did you work as a volunteer because everywhere I ask they say they dont take on volunteers (but that might be due to the virus)
YOU HAVE SO MUCH!!!
How did you get 3 months at a cattery? Did you work as a volunteer because everywhere I ask they say they dont take on volunteers (but that might be due to the virus)

I always thought I didn’t have enough! I turned 16 in September so I was able to get my clinical work experience in early, it took a lot of messages to lots of vets to get it though. I have a cat shelter close to me so I was able to volunteer every Saturday for 3 months. It’s not the most exciting thing though😂
YOU HAVE SO MUCH!!!

It's so frustrating that after GCSEs being cancelled we have all this free time, but we can't even go out and get experience :frown:
Every time the next year of this thread pops up, I feel older and older! I'll be two years qualified by the time you guys start. I'm a final year at Bristol, so if you have any questions I'm happy to answer them, although a lot of my admissions knowledge is somewhat outdated considering I started in 2014!
Original post by bristolvet94
Every time the next year of this thread pops up, I feel older and older! I'll be two years qualified by the time you guys start. I'm a final year at Bristol, so if you have any questions I'm happy to answer them, although a lot of my admissions knowledge is somewhat outdated considering I started in 2014!

Hey!
Bristol is probably one of my favourite vet schools that I've been researching so it's noce to have someone who can tell me what life is really like there.

How are the facilities in Bristol - the labs and the accomodation?
And secondly are there many BAME on your course?
I always thought I didn’t have enough! I turned 16 in September so I was able to get my clinical work experience in early, it took a lot of messages to lots of vets to get it though. I have a cat shelter close to me so I was able to volunteer every Saturday for 3 months. It’s not the most exciting thing though😂

It is great that you have managed to get some experience but do take a look at the uni details- for example RVC only take notice of hours done in the 18 months before application
Original post by ReadingMum
It is great that you have managed to get some experience but do take a look at the uni details- for example RVC only take notice of hours done in the 18 months before application

Thank you! I did notice that, luckily for me I started a lot after October 2019 and I am still carrying on with my Camelid work experience! Do you have any ideas on which Vet school has the most practical course?
Hey, I’m a first year vet at Bristol. If you have any questions ask me 🙂
Reply 16
Thank you! I did notice that, luckily for me I started a lot after October 2019 and I am still carrying on with my Camelid work experience! Do you have any ideas on which Vet school has the most practical course?

Hi :smile: I don't know if there's one specific vet school that has the most practical course, as they all do dissections/animal handling to different amounts. But I'd consider my vet school, Nottingham, to be a strong contender! We have a very clinically focused course that allows you to get ample experience even early on.

We are lucky enough to have two 3+ hour dissection per week and lots of animal handling practice (often also 2 times per week). Additionally, we have lots of animals on-site (cows, sheep, sometimes pigs, horses, dogs, rabbits, mice, rats, gerbils, snakes, bearded dragons... I've definitely missed a few😂) so once you have had your health and safety training you can go and visit them to practise your animal handling in your own time.

This isn't to say that other vet schools don't have practical teaching - they do - but the teaching here at Nottingham is definitely one of its strongest points and the practicals are my favourite bits! Obviously I am biased though :wink: you'll have to ask other vet students for their thoughts to build up a picture of which uni is right for you. If you'd like to know more about Notts, feel free to ask :smile: xx
Reply 17
I'm also going to be going into yr 12 and 100% going into vet medicine!

1) my gcse's were - english X2, maths, triple science, sociology, art, sport science, italian, geography, spanish.
2) my a-level options- biology, chemistry, maths and economics +an EPQ and a couple of additional courses i have completed and will try to complete! I'm also hoping to finish my BHS exams xD
3) i work and ride at my stables and the manager has given me lots of contacts of a variety of farms etc and i used to loan a horse off of a guy who is a vet and luckily he offered me some work experience when this whole situation is over :smile:
4) My university choices are RVC, Cambridge and Liverpool for sure!- reading through this thread i also like the sound of nottingham XD
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by macy_m
I'm also going to be going into yr 12 and 100% going into vet medicine!

1) my gcse's were - english X2, maths, triple science, sociology, art, sport science, italian, geography, spanish.
2) my a-level options- biology, chemistry, maths and economics +an EPQ and a couple of additional courses i have completed and will try to complete! I'm also hoping to finish my BHS exams xD
3) i work and ride at my stables and the manager has given me lots of contacts of a variety of farms etc and i used to loan a horse off of a guy who is a vet and luckily he offered me some work experience when this whole situation is over :smile:
4) My university choices are RVC, Cambridge and Liverpool for sure!- reading through this thread i also like the sound of nottingham XD

Sounds good! On the EPQ side of it, I was planning on taking one then was told that Vet Schools don’t really lower the grades by that much with one and it doesn’t significantly improve your chance of an offer. Is this true for anyone who’s got a place and did an EPQ? Did it help you at all?
Reply 19
Sounds good! On the EPQ side of it, I was planning on taking one then was told that Vet Schools don’t really lower the grades by that much with one and it doesn’t significantly improve your chance of an offer. Is this true for anyone who’s got a place and did an EPQ? Did it help you at all?

i'm only just going to start sixth form so i'm not sure yet :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending