The Student Room Group

What should I do

Earlier this year in a store that has absolute zero customer service a store assistant threatened the police (I never met them) and wrongfully accused me of stealing when I didn't and stopped and harassed about it before I had even left. I wasn't taken to a private room and had to empty my bag right there on the store floor luckily there was no other customers inside at the time. I won't be coming back here and I really wish I stopped coming here a lot sooner. The tone of voice she spoke in was extremely rude and patronising. Staff are always extremely rude, patronising, argumentative and helpful. This is not what I expect in a store. She found nothing stolen and didn't even apologise for the misunderstanding. Ever since this incident I've had constant bad flashbacks that can't stop. Are they allowed to stop people before they leave the store? I've considered going to the police as I'm so angry, upset and confused. What should I do? What would you do in my situation?
If they believe you have taken something and are making your way towards the exit then yes they can stop you before you leave the store.
Reply 2
Of course stores will stop people from leaving if they suspect shoplifting; if you are past the tills they don't want someone going out to a car park or on to the street and getting away.

Don't bother going to the police, there's nothing to report because there was nothing wrong with what happened, it's just you feeling upset about it.

A lot of people get stopped, quite often because there's a tag triggers the alarm. I've had to empty my bags for that, big deal. You could complain to the store about customer service, but it's probably a bit late if youve continued to go in, and you would need it to be factual, not emotional. Go elsewhere if you don't like the shop.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Earlier this year in a store that has absolute zero customer service a store assistant threatened the police (I never met them) and wrongfully accused me of stealing when I didn't and stopped and harassed about it before I had even left. I wasn't taken to a private room and had to empty my bag right there on the store floor luckily there was no other customers inside at the time. I won't be coming back here and I really wish I stopped coming here a lot sooner. The tone of voice she spoke in was extremely rude and patronising. Staff are always extremely rude, patronising, argumentative and helpful. This is not what I expect in a store. She found nothing stolen and didn't even apologise for the misunderstanding. Ever since this incident I've had constant bad flashbacks that can't stop. Are they allowed to stop people before they leave the store? I've considered going to the police as I'm so angry, upset and confused. What should I do? What would you do in my situation?

I've had a few times when I've accidentally set alarms off in stores- yes they have the right to stop you in a situation like this or if they suspect you've stolen something. I'm not sure what you think reporting them to the police. If the customer service and attitude of the staff is as bad as you say then you're probably best just not going back there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending