The Student Room Group

What should I do?

I've been reading through the selection criteria pages on the websites of the the medical schools I'm applying to just to make extra sure I meet the requirements and I found something worrying on Manchester's page:

''If applicants have previously applied to the Manchester Medical School, they must give the relevant UCAS number so the old UCAS form can be re-examined.''

Last year I did apply to Manchester and my application was very very very weak, (and my reference is basically word for word but in past tense!) I had no idea how hard it was to get in to Medicine last year, so I'm worried they'll use my old application against me.
Also, I don't know my UCAS number from last year! How can I get hold of it?
cchilstonev1
I've been reading through the selection criteria pages on the websites of the the medical schools I'm applying to just to make extra sure I meet the requirements and I found something worrying on Manchester's page:

''If applicants have previously applied to the Manchester Medical School, they must give the relevant UCAS number so the old UCAS form can be re-examined.''

Last year I did apply to Manchester and my application was very very very weak, (and my reference is basically word for word but in past tense!) I had no idea how hard it was to get in to Medicine last year, so I'm worried they'll use my old application against me.
Also, I don't know my UCAS number from last year! How can I get hold of it?

hmm don't know if it'll hinder your application or not

Do you not have any letters from last year with your ucas number on?
Reply 2
I've found my UCAS number now, ironically It was in an old email from Manchester.
I hope to God that they don't put much weighting on my previous application. It was really not good.
Reply 3
As soon as they process your application the system will flag up that you applied to them last year - so I wouldn't worry about not knowing your number. Maybe just email them to let them know.

I was told that they examine your old application just to make sure that the information on it tallys with your new one - i.e. your new application doesn't claim that you've done 3 years of voluntary work when your application from a year ago mentioned no such thing! Apparently some people will also inflate their grades if they've been rejected previously, so it safeguards against that also.
Reply 4
theatrical
I was told that they examine your old application just to make sure that the information on it tallys with your new one - i.e. your new application doesn't claim that you've done 3 years of voluntary work when your application from a year ago mentioned no such thing! Apparently some people will also inflate their grades if they've been rejected previously, so it safeguards against that also.

Thanks a lot, hope you're right! :P
Reply 5
I would think that they would be looking for signs of improvement, not trying to use your old form against you.
Reply 6
Hi guys,
I am an overseas student
I got 7 A's and 1 B for my GCSE's
am predcited 38 for my IB Diploma
got 579 average on UKCAT
planning to apply to the following uniz:
Bristol
Manchester
Aberdeen
Liverpool
How realistic are my chances of getting into these uniz for medicine especially Aberdeen ,,,,,(Is my UKCAT that bad!!! ?)
Reply 7
Your chances are average. Your UKCAT is average. A good personal statement (and by good I don't mean good in the sense that everyones is good, I mean outstanding and above average) with lots of work experience, what you learnt from it, how you percieve medicine etc. would tip it in your favour.

Remember most people only get one interview and one place anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending