The Student Room Group

DWP - have I got the job?

I’ve currently got a provisional offer subject to pre-employment checks.

This is the job I want to take, however MoJ have also offered me a job and start date, so I’m scared to reject MoJ, in case DWP retracts my provisional offer (I dont have a criminal record etc for the pre-employment checks to detect).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by d-m1
I’ve currently got a provisional offer subject to pre-employment checks.

This is the job I want to take, however MoJ have also offered me a job and start date, so I’m scared to reject MoJ, in case DWP retracts my provisional offer (I dont have a criminal record etc for the pre-employment checks to detect).

Any advice would be appreciated!

You'll get the job offer on the condition that you pass ALL of your pre-employment checks.

I work in the Police service and all candidates mistakenly assume they've got the job after they give the go-ahead, not knowing they have to pass ALL of the pre-employment checks before being given a job offer letter.
That is why you've got a provisional offer.
Reply 2
Original post by MonsoonFlower
You'll get the job offer on the condition that you pass ALL of your pre-employment checks.

I work in the Police service and all candidates mistakenly assume they've got the job after they give the go-ahead, not knowing they have to pass ALL of the pre-employment checks before being given a job offer letter.
That is why you've got a provisional offer.

Would it be foolish to assume that I’ve got the job if I probably will pass the checks (as theres nothing that could really flag up)

Its really only a problem because MoJ have offered me the job, so I dont want to reject it if DWP will then not offer me the job
Original post by d-m1
Would it be foolish to assume that I’ve got the job if I probably will pass the checks (as theres nothing that could really flag up)

Its really only a problem because MoJ have offered me the job, so I dont want to reject it if DWP will then not offer me the job

While you were successful in the role at MoJ, it doesn't mean you have the job offer as you still need to pass ALL security checks.
Your checks will include your family members, partners, their families (if applicable), and any full/half/step siblings you may have.
Furthermore, it will also include your finance checks as well as your medical and fitness.
Reply 4
While you were successful in the role at MoJ, it doesn't mean you have the job offer as you still need to pass ALL security checks.
Your checks will include your family members, partners, their families (if applicable), and any full/half/step siblings you may have.
Furthermore, it will also include your finance checks as well as your medical and fitness.

Why would they do checks on my family members?
Original post by d-m1
Why would they do checks on my family members?

To ensure they are not a risk to you and the army, especially when you will be gaining access to confidential details.
Reply 6
To ensure they are not a risk to you and the army, especially when you will be gaining access to confidential details.

But its just a basic DBS check, not a SC (its an AO role)
Original post by d-m1
But its just a basic DBS check, not a SC (its an AO role)

In that case, it should be straightforward and shouldn't take long.
Reply 8

Ah ok, thanks for the help. I rejected the MoJ role so hopefully they get back to me soon!
Reply 9

Sorry I dont mean to annoy you! But any idea approx how long they could take? Im just super paranoid since I rejected the MoJ job for this one and am worried I wont get in. So far its been about 2 weeks waiting
Original post by d-m1
Sorry I dont mean to annoy you! But any idea approx how long they could take? Im just super paranoid since I rejected the MoJ job for this one and am worried I wont get in. So far its been about 2 weeks waiting

Possibly a month.
Reply 11
Been about 3 weeks and still waiting to hear from DWP. Im expecting to hear back in a few weeks and then wait another month for a start date. Civil service employment really is a long wait!
How long was it from verbal offer to provisional letter.. I’ve been waiting a week now, no update.
Reply 13
Original post by Deko_hey99
How long was it from verbal offer to provisional letter.. I’ve been waiting a week now, no update.

The pre-employment checks? They took around a month but one of my previous employers took long to get back

I wouldn’t worry about a week, things take a while - I only started last week
Hi. I have submitted the form for pre employment check as well on 15/02/2023 for AO. How long do you think it will take? And after the positive result of checks, when did you actually start work?
Reply 15
Original post by Isabela-Nicoleta
Hi. I have submitted the form for pre employment check as well on 15/02/2023 for AO. How long do you think it will take? And after the positive result of checks, when did you actually start work?

After a month I chased them up, turns out one of my previous employers hadnt done my reference which is why they hadn’t replied. Once I got the employer to send the reference, the checks were done and DWP contacted me the same day. My start date was 5 weeks after I passed my checks :smile:
Original post by d-m1
After a month I chased them up, turns out one of my previous employers hadnt done my reference which is why they hadn’t replied. Once I got the employer to send the reference, the checks were done and DWP contacted me the same day. My start date was 5 weeks after I passed my checks :smile:

Ok, thank you very much for your answer. Hopefully, I'll pass the checks and start this job.
Original post by d-m1
Ah ok, thanks for the help. I rejected the MoJ role so hopefully they get back to me soon!

I have an interview for AO at MoJ at the end of this month and in the same time, I am waiting for the pre-employment checks for AO at DWP. Now, I was wondering if I pass the interview with MoJ which one to choose? Which is better? I am interested in being promoted and advance in my career. So, which one should I choose if it would be the case?
Reply 18
Original post by Isabela-Nicoleta
I have an interview for AO at MoJ at the end of this month and in the same time, I am waiting for the pre-employment checks for AO at DWP. Now, I was wondering if I pass the interview with MoJ which one to choose? Which is better? I am interested in being promoted and advance in my career. So, which one should I choose if it would be the case?

Personally I’m really enjoying my time at DWP, the training was great and everyone was lovely. My short internship at MoJ wasn’t great tbh which put me off taking the MoJ role (lack of training, no organisation, rude staff). The pay at DWP was also higher for me. Regarding progression, I’ve seen both departments put out roles - but I think MoJ puts out more roles with 1-3 posts, whereas DWP recruits are less often but are larger
Hi,
I finally got the job at DWP as AO. I will start in two weeks. My question now is: do you know if you can take holidays during probation period? I have a family holiday in summer booked and paid since January when I did not know I would start this job. I would need 2 weeks at the begining of August, so I will have only 3 months of work from the total 6 of probation. Any advice, please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending