The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2023 (Reinstated) applicants thread.

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if the 'Numerical Test' is the same format as the Civil Service Numerical Practice Test or is it slightly different?
Original post by aemaem
First time applicant here, looking to process the great amount of info around. I understand certain flexibility and mobility is expected, yet I'd like to decide on my preferences with location in mind too. Does anyone know if any schemes are more likely to be Scotland based? I'm currently looking at Finance, Generalist, Cyber and HR - likely to reject the idea of Project Delivery based on the map provided in the description. Any tips would be appreciated, best of luck to everyone applying!

If you search the jobs through the civil service site it gives a region, I am pretty certain though that they all just say regions throughout the uk but worth a check. I have also tried to pick streams with area in mind, I have caring responsibilities and understand that you can fill a form in if successful to say why you would want certain areas. There are many civil service roles advertised in my closest city centre which makes me hopeful that if I’m successful I might get the opportunity to stay local.
you could also try searching other civil service jobs by area and see what departments are located where you would like to work and see if that helps with your choice of streams
Original post by C macca
Does anyone know if the 'Numerical Test' is the same format as the Civil Service Numerical Practice Test or is it slightly different?

From what I remember it’s the same format. It is a progressive test so the questions get harder each time your correct or easier if you answer incorrectly. Maths has always been my downfall but I found it alright. It’s not timed so you can take your time on it
Original post by Gemma_gradscheme
From what I remember it’s the same format. It is a progressive test so the questions get harder each time your correct or easier if you answer incorrectly. Maths has always been my downfall but I found it alright. It’s not timed so you can take your time on it

Oh so is it a simple case of selecting the correct answer rather than rating the effectiveness of an action (I think in the past it has been the latter?)
Yes it’s all very straight forward, underneath the tests is a link I believe to more information on the online tests and it has a practice numerical test
Original post by Gemma_gradscheme
Yes it’s all very straight forward, underneath the tests is a link I believe to more information on the online tests and it has a practice numerical test

Okay thank you! That's good to know. Numbers were never my strong point either so I'm a bit nervous about it.
Reply 86
Has anyone unlocked the unlocked the work based scenarios yet or are we all still waiting?
I'm excited for this being both a mature student and former Civil Servant however I also can't help but feel slightly Jaded as I know my University will try it's best to help but it doesn't have the expertise in this area.

In contrast, I suspect your Oxbridges will literally groom you for this scheme if you want it and that's slightly putting me off even trying :frown:
Reply 88
I saw on civil service jobs that many of the fast-stream schemes are advertised as remote working is this true or an error?
Reply 89
is stage 2 the test with video interview questions?
Reply 90
Original post by Zeeyo
I saw on civil service jobs that many of the fast-stream schemes are advertised as remote working is this true or an error?

I saw that too. I'm pretty sure that this is an error. It'll be very difficult to train someone in a new field, which is the whole purpose of the scheme, if they're remote from the office. So I think by that, they may mean you could be posted anywhere in the UK if your successful, since they are trying to move roles away from London and it says 'remote working(anywhere in UK)'.
That said, further into the scheme it may become an option for some working in certain departments once everything's settled, but I would say don't expect it to be an option, certainly within the first few months.
Reply 91
Original post by Zeeyo
is stage 2 the test with video interview questions?

No, by the looks of it, they've decided to drop the video interview questions this year. It explains that:
Stage 1: Work Style Questionnaires and Situational Judgement Questionnaires
Stage 2: Work Based Scenarios
Stage 3: Scheme specific additional information
Stage 4: Assessment Centre
Stage 5: Final Selection Board (Scheme Dependent)
Hello everyone.

For my first of the four tests, I got "a lot of alignment". Is this the 2nd highest? I've read previously it said "strong alignment".

The other 3 were all above average. Can anyone with previous experience let me know if this means I'm in with a good chance of getting to the next phase?
Original post by megwn
Has anyone unlocked the unlocked the work based scenarios yet or are we all still waiting?

Mine are still locked! I may be wrong but are they unlocked after the online test pass mark is set/ results released near the end of Jan? As feedback for the work based scenarios isn’t planed until the middle of feb
Original post by aemaem
First time applicant here, looking to process the great amount of info around. I understand certain flexibility and mobility is expected, yet I'd like to decide on my preferences with location in mind too. Does anyone know if any schemes are more likely to be Scotland based? I'm currently looking at Finance, Generalist, Cyber and HR - likely to reject the idea of Project Delivery based on the map provided in the description. Any tips would be appreciated, best of luck to everyone applying!

I'm afraid you do have to be flexible, especially in your first year. In your second and third, you do get a little more flexibility, but if your manager feels that you will get more development in a role that requires you to relocate, then they will make you do it.

HMRC, FCDO, Cabinet Office, Home Office, DIT, BEIS, DWP, and obviously Scottish Government, all have decent sized presences in Scotland. I think most of the schemes you listed will have some roles in those departments, but the generalist one will likely have the most available.
Original post by CptMidlands
I'm excited for this being both a mature student and former Civil Servant however I also can't help but feel slightly Jaded as I know my University will try it's best to help but it doesn't have the expertise in this area.

In contrast, I suspect your Oxbridges will literally groom you for this scheme if you want it and that's slightly putting me off even trying :frown:

No harm in trying. We need more people like you on the Fast Stream for sure. Ask for some help from your former colleagues, I'm sure someone you know will be able to help with behaviours
I actually have an interview coming up for a job at EO grade. Honestly, my real goal is diplomacy, which is most of why I applied for fast stream. If I actually end up being offered the EO role, should I take it over a fast stream role? (to be clear, I would still like any fast stream role I applied for, but outside of diplomacy I'm not sure on all the specific advantages)
Hi everyone! I've applied for: Diplomatic and Development Economics, Government Economics Service, Diplomatic and Development, and Finance. I scored:
WSQ1: More than the majority
SJQ: High range
NT: Higher than the majority
WSQ2: Upper range
To anyone who has done this before, what sort of chances do you reckon I have of getting further? Good luck everybody!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi all! I did the tests on Thursday as soon as it opened but only just found this thread. :smile:

My scores are:
WSQ1: 'a lot of alignment'
SJQ: 'high range'
NT: 'good capability'; 'higher than others'
WSQ2: 'upper range'

I've only applied for the Diplomatic & Development fast stream as I already have a job I enjoy a lot, but this is the one stream I'm desperate to be on! I know the competition is incredibly high though... :frown:
Original post by livixbobbiex
I actually have an interview coming up for a job at EO grade. Honestly, my real goal is diplomacy, which is most of why I applied for fast stream. If I actually end up being offered the EO role, should I take it over a fast stream role? (to be clear, I would still like any fast stream role I applied for, but outside of diplomacy I'm not sure on all the specific advantages)

Take the EO job if it's offered to you. Even if you get a place on Fast Stream, it won't start till late 2023, so you can work your EO job till then if you decide you want to carry on with the Fast Stream.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending