The Student Room Group

Can I do civil engineering at Uni

So i'm in my first year at sixth form and do Biology, chemistry and maths predicted AAA*, and want to do civil engineering but abit worried univeristies wont consider me as I havent done art, DT or physics, but did all of these at GCSE.

Was wondering if anyone else had this predicament and if so did you get into uni?
Reply 1
Original post by eri.d
So i'm in my first year at sixth form and do Biology, chemistry and maths predicted AAA*, and want to do civil engineering but abit worried univeristies wont consider me as I havent done art, DT or physics, but did all of these at GCSE.

Was wondering if anyone else had this predicament and if so did you get into uni?

Hello! Not done CE myself, but after some research I would honestly say do not worry about it. Top universities like Birmingham and UCL only require Mathematics, and only a few I've looked at require physics. The fact that you did Physics and some creative GCSE subjects still puts you in good stead too. It's worth noting that what Universities really want is for your to show your passion for a subject, especially for quite a niche one like CE. So long as you can demonstrate that (e.g. with MOOCs or work experience), and considering you have mathematics, you're in perfectly good stead to get in.

If you want a bit more to help your self, you could always try a Physics AS-level. You have really good grades so I doubt that you would struggle, but if you dislike it you can always give it up. That could give you a bit of a boost when unis look at you - just something to consider?

I hope this helped! Best of luck with your A-levels, and I hope you manage to get into the uni you want!
Reply 2
Original post by {Moss}
Hello! Not done CE myself, but after some research I would honestly say do not worry about it. Top universities like Birmingham and UCL only require Mathematics, and only a few I've looked at require physics. The fact that you did Physics and some creative GCSE subjects still puts you in good stead too. It's worth noting that what Universities really want is for your to show your passion for a subject, especially for quite a niche one like CE. So long as you can demonstrate that (e.g. with MOOCs or work experience), and considering you have mathematics, you're in perfectly good stead to get in.

If you want a bit more to help your self, you could always try a Physics AS-level. You have really good grades so I doubt that you would struggle, but if you dislike it you can always give it up. That could give you a bit of a boost when unis look at you - just something to consider?

I hope this helped! Best of luck with your A-levels, and I hope you manage to get into the uni you want!

Great thank you so much, as-level physics sounds like a great idea.
Original post by eri.d

Some civil engineering degrees request maths and a science, so your subject choices might satisfy that requirement. Others will probably request physics, though, which is more relevant to civil engineering. Best to check the entry requirements for universities you are interested in to confirm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending