The Student Room Group

Feeeling down at work

My colleagues have the top roles and more responsibility, because they have more experience.

I have less roles because I don‘t have much experience.

I try and lift my confidence at work by sitting with other teams, contributing in meetings etc...so I can be a improve on skills

Just feel my colleagues see me as a waste of space because I have less experience than them. They keep butting in whenever I‘m trying to speak, they don‘t believe I‘m good enough in my role - when I‘m always giving 100%

They talk about me behind my back.

I don‘t understand their issue, they have more responsibility, they have more work - they have the confidence because of the roles they‘re doing and I have really low self-esteem which I‘m trying to work on.

I feel they‘re really bringing me down.

I‘m focussing on my job, improving on mistakes and trying to gain more confidence (for myself), but they have so much time worrying about me.

They get scared when I talk to other people in my team, always questioning about my conversations I have with others.

My colleagues don‘t like when I get attention and other people praise me for my work... They would send a message out to all the team, so they get attention and shut me off!

My colleagues always have attention, more work and but they're not happy when I have work and I talk to people.

I‘m always polite and friendly to them, and I ask them for advice so I can improve.

Have I done anything wrong

Any advice?
(edited 1 year ago)
I think that it might be more of a perception issue.

It's natural that your colleagues would be worrying about you and helping you in meetings. Which is a good thing, because they are being supportive and helping you with your role. Instead of seeing it as a terrible thing, try to make use of all of the support that you're getting to better yourself. You're not going to be an expert in your role overnight. You might be eager for more roles and responsibility, but like you said, you lack some experience so you'll have less responsibility to start with.

What kind of things are they saying behind your back? How do you know that they're saying things behind your back? Is it possible that it's just in your head? Also, nobody likes when one person gets all the praise for the work, so that's probably why your colleagues don't like it, because you're a team, there is no "I" only "We". You need to be a good team player, but it sounds like you want to be more of a superhero lone wolf, which is not a good thing and not how things should be in the workplace.

But if you really think that there's some kind of a problem with your colleagues or that they are somehow bullying you, then you can always find a role at a different company. I agree that sometimes people can be s**t because these days everyone has a bit of an ego and sometimes their ego can get in the way of work. It's best to avoid these kind of people, if you ever encounter them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending