The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Anthropology

Hi, wondering what you people out there think so far about studying at LSE. Especially peeps doing Social Anthropology. I decided to apply to uni this month- as a placement with an aid organisation fell through at the last minute. At the moment my choices are

SOAS
Sussex
Edinburgh
Aberdeen
St Andrews

It sucks that you can't choose six courses anymore! The course at LSE sounds really gd, ut I've heard some bad things about studying in LSE in general and about the courses being very full on! I don't mind full on- I'm there to learn- but I don't like ridiculously demanding.

Therefore I chose unis in Scotland for Social Anthropology (as a major), however I feel slightly worried I'm making a silly decision not applying to LSE and that maybe I could subsitute one of the Scottish unis for LSE.

Any ideas? Any commentson the Social Anthropology course at LSE or the other unis to give me a bit of a clue? (I've only visited Sussex)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, it's full-on. I don't know how it compares with the other that you've chosen, but they're all pretty high ranking unis so I'm guessing that they will be similar??

My first point is that Edinburgh is EXTREMELY difficult to get in to for non-scottish students. I applied there and I got an offer from everywhere except there. They explicitly state that they take preference to Scottish people. I've heard of a lot of people receiving offers from oxford/cambridge but being rejected by Edinburgh. Unless your application is really really strong it's unlikely that you'll get a place .

The course here is demanding, but it's manageable. There is a lot of reading involved - during our first week we were given about 250 pages of Marx to read (although I have yet to meet anyone who actually did it). The most annoying thing is that for that module the lecturer is terrible it's almost impossible to learn anything from her. The class teachers are really good though.

If you manage your time well, it's perfectly feasible to have a good social life as well as getting everything done.

LSE was recently graded top UK uni for research - yes, above Oxford and Cambridge.

I would definitely recommend substituting it for Edinburgh. Apologies for stating the obvious, but Scotland is bloody far, especially given that you're in Southampton. I doubt the difference in work load is going to be that great.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Nadinus
Yes, it's full-on. I don't know how it compares with the other that you've chosen, but they're all pretty high ranking unis so I'm guessing that they will be similar??

My first point is that Edinburgh is EXTREMELY difficult to get in to for non-scottish students. I applied there and I got an offer from everywhere except there. They explicitly state that they take preference to Scottish people. I've heard of a lot of people receiving offers from oxford/cambridge but being rejected by Edinburgh. Unless your application is really really strong it's unlikely that you'll get a place .

The course here is demanding, but it's manageable. There is a lot of reading involved - during our first week we were given about 250 pages of Marx to read (although I have yet to meet anyone who actually did it). The most annoying thing is that for that module the lecturer is terrible it's almost impossible to learn anything from her. The class teachers are really good though.

If you manage your time well, it's perfectly feasible to have a good social life as well as getting everything done.

LSE was recently graded top UK uni for research - yes, above Oxford and Cambridge.

I would definitely recommend substituting it for Edinburgh. Apologies for stating the obvious, but Scotland is bloody far, especially given that you're in Southampton. I doubt the difference in work load is going to be that great.

Out of interest - what do you have to say about LSE in general? The "unsatisfied students" and etc
Reply 3
__Katy
Out of interest - what do you have to say about LSE in general? The "unsatisfied students" and etc

Pffft. It would be hard for me to say for the whole of the uni - anthropology is proportionately a very small department. I'm not exactly sure what the unsatisfied students are referring to - if it's the teaching then I can't really give a rounded view.

But okay in general - if you really want a typical university experience then you're not going to find it. It's pretty small for a uni - predominantly postgrads, also half the students are international. There are a lot of people who don't go out much, and a lot who stick to their ethnic groups so sometimes it is hard to find like-minded people to yourself (if you want a 'normal' university life').

I'm personally not unsatisfied with it...it is undeniably an excellent university it's just...different.

If you want more info on specific aspects of it then feel free to ask
Reply 4
Nadinus
Pffft. It would be hard for me to say for the whole of the uni - anthropology is proportionately a very small department. I'm not exactly sure what the unsatisfied students are referring to - if it's the teaching then I can't really give a rounded view.

But okay in general - if you really want a typical university experience then you're not going to find it. It's pretty small for a uni - predominantly postgrads, also half the students are international. There are a lot of people who don't go out much, and a lot who stick to their ethnic groups so sometimes it is hard to find like-minded people to yourself (if you want a 'normal' university life').

I'm personally not unsatisfied with it...it is undeniably an excellent university it's just...different.

Thank you :smile: I'm currently have an offer for Law, and if I don't get Oxford (which is highly likely) I think I want LSE as my top choice...

I'll PM you as it isn't specific to the OP's question
Nadinus

Nadinus, what is the social life like? Also, how expensive is it to study and live there compared to other unis?
Reply 6
Nadinus- what is it like living in London. I know that is a really borad question, it's just I haven't spend more than 8 days in london on 8 separate occasions. Does the 'business' feel claustrophobic at times?

Cheers
Reply 7
charlo26
Nadinus- what is it like living in London. I know that is a really borad question, it's just I haven't spend more than 8 days in london on 8 separate occasions. Does the 'business' feel claustrophobic at times?

Cheers

I'm not Nadine, but I can tell you that living in London is something you definitely need to take into account. A world capital is an astonishingly great place to spend your life, and many of my friends never want to leave. It has absolutely everything you could ever want, but for one thing. Peace. If silence and peace are important to your happiness, you'll have to seek for it a lot harder to be comfortable.

London, understandably, gets on a lot of people's nerves. I wouldn't describe it as claustrophobic - you're never more than a tube ride away from Hyde Park. But encountering a huge stream of traffic, a sea of people briskly walking by and helicopters flying past every single time you walk out your front door can be very stressful, and it's definitely something I underestimated when I flew in early October. London is not a hate it or love it place. It's just a very cool city, where a few have to escape a bit more often than the others.
Reply 8
What do you actually need to get into LSE for anthropology, I mean the requirements state ABB but can you get in with BBB, isit really demanding?
Would 3 A's at A2 at 95% average, with 2 extra A's at as amd a distinction at AEA critical thinking be enough for anthropology at LSE?
Reply 10
T-o dore
Would 3 A's at A2 at 95% average, with 2 extra A's at as amd a distinction at AEA critical thinking be enough for anthropology at LSE?

afraid not :biggrin:
lobau57
afraid not :biggrin:

Well the offer says its ABB or something, but loads of people ive spoken to who got in got like 45/45 on IB and like 4 A's at a level... Also it seems like a hard ratio of applicants to places. I need to get in there!

Also, does anyone know if it would be possible for me to switch from anthropology to anthropology and law once I get in? (if)
T-o dore

Those grades are fine don't worry. Just make sure you have a great PS and you're sorted.

Why not apply for A&L in the first place?
T-o dore

Way more than enough.

I had way less than that at A level and still got in for Social Policy and Economics and though it is a different course the grade req is the same and is more competitive than Anthropology
Reply 14
T-o dore

No they require that you have AT LEAST five full A levels, with a further three up to AS level, all A grade of course :rolleyes:
Nadinus
No they require that you have AT LEAST five full A levels, with a further three up to AS level, all A grade of course :rolleyes:

ok thanks, I just need to get in!!

By the way do you know of anyone who has switched from anthropology to anth and law? Its just that I'm applying to cambridge as well and they dont have anth and law, so my personal statement is just on anthropology with a bit of biology/archaeology dusted over.

I havent done the LNAT, but critical thinking is basically the same... So if I got an offer do you think i'd be able to switch when i got there or just before?
Reply 16
You could probably try, but why can't you apply for Anth & Law, and find a way of incorporating a little bit of law into your PS?
Frontier
You could probably try, but why can't you apply for Anth & Law, and find a way of incorporating a little bit of law into your PS?

Because it says you need to show equal interest in both subjects, which poses a problem considering im applying to places which dont do that course...
Reply 18
Has anybody got any advice about how to choose between UCL, LSE and Goldsmiths for Anthropology?
Reply 19
edwardruth
Has anybody got any advice about how to choose between UCL, LSE and Goldsmiths for Anthropology?

LSE :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending