The Student Room Group

Difference between EY and Deloitte internships?

Just wondering here if there is any big difference between doing an internship at EY London in Audit - FS or Professional Services Rotation (Tax and Audit) at Deloitte? I've done tax internship before at PwC in a south-east asian country.

The reason being is that I've been offered a position at EY but just received email from Deloitte asking if I am available for final round interview. Never had first round with them but I guess they were trying to make up for it by being so late at getting back to me. (even then I need to reply fast as they cannot guaranteed that the places won't be filled)

I know EY does ICAS and Deloitte does the ICAEW and from my understanding there is no difference at all between them. (I checked their website and they have reciprocal membership agreement).

So... should I attend the Deloitte interview? London is 3 hours away from where I am and all this interview shenanigans are starting to take the toll on my academic performance. I prefer to just accept the EY internship if there's not much difference. One important note is that I will probably work for my intern company if they offer me a grad job.

I need to reply fast to Deloitte about this so would appreciate some advice. Should I withdraw my app and leave it to someone else?
Well if you are happy to dedicate the next two years of your life to drudgery, better to do it with a more successful and slightly larger company, no?

Deloitte is doing better than EY in terms of growth and number of large FTSE audit clients, and the ACA is slightly more recognised than the CA. Although the difference is really minimal. To be honest its worth going for the Deloitte interview so you can make your mind up with a choice about where you might like to train. Go for it.
Reply 2
mendelssohn
Well if you are happy to dedicate the next two years of your life to drudgery, better to do it with a more successful and slightly larger company, no?

Deloitte is doing better than EY in terms of growth and number of large FTSE audit clients, and the ACA is slightly more recognised than the CA. Although the difference is really minimal. To be honest its worth going for the Deloitte interview so you can make your mind up with a choice about where you might like to train. Go for it.

I'd agree with this. It's better to have more choice in exchange for one day away from studying. From personal experience, I can say that Deloitte is a great firm to work for.
rscully
I'd agree with this. It's better to have more choice in exchange for one day away from studying. From personal experience, I can say that Deloitte is a great firm to work for.

Yes, go for the interview - I'd agree, choice is good, and you'll get the chance to get a "feel" for both firms and see which you prefer.

That said, from my personal experience, EY is a also great firm to work for :wink:
Reply 4
Illusionary
Yes, go for the interview - I'd agree, choice is good, and you'll get the chance to get a "feel" for both firms and see which you prefer.

That said, from my personal experience, EY is a also great firm to work for :wink:

For the record, I've heard many good reports of EY. Ideally you need to find someone who has worked for both firms, although that might not be easy!
Reply 5
Does anyone know if the EY offer is exploding since I have not received my contract yet....

Should I tell Deloitte about my offer? They seem very very slow at processing things. I don't want to lose both.... :s-smilie:

Anyway, in 2008 EY won the auditor of the year award with KPMG so they ain't that bad. AFAIK EY and Deloitte audit almost the same amount of FTSE 100, with PwC and KPMG leading.
Reply 6
usually have 14 days with EY - they like to do the contract bit v quick

verticalforce
Does anyone know if the EY offer is exploding since I have not received my contract yet....

Should I tell Deloitte about my offer? They seem very very slow at processing things. I don't want to lose both.... :s-smilie:

Anyway, in 2008 EY won the auditor of the year award with KPMG so they ain't that bad. AFAIK EY and Deloitte audit almost the same amount of FTSE 100, with PwC and KPMG leading.
Reply 7
is it wise to sign the contract and renege it if i get into deloitte? Im not even sure ill like deloitte tbh, ey seems really great.
verticalforce
is it wise to sign the contract and renege it if i get into deloitte? Im not even sure ill like deloitte tbh, ey seems really great.

Best not to do that, as you'd be breaching the contract.

Just ask HR how long you've got to sign it. They should be happy to give you a month or so.

Latest

Trending

Trending