The Student Room Group

STEP 2013 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Could someone post the question paper on here for those not on facebook please...
Reply 141
Original post by jack.hadamard
I will do the odd ones. :tongue:

I haven't spent time to check the answers (yet), so If you find the solutions inelegant (or incorrect), then say so. :smile:

Thank you very much! I'm curious as to how your Latex work is so productive do you use some particular software for it?
Original post by Pyoro
Thank you very much! I'm curious as to how your Latex work is so productive do you use some particular software for it?

I have been doing it for a while now. :tongue: I don't use a software, but this website is sometimes useful.
Reply 143
Original post by jack.hadamard
I have been doing it for a while now. :tongue: I don't use a software, but this website is sometimes useful.

Wow, that works fantastically well. Do you use a tablet (computer or just drawing pad) for input?
Post reserved for Q10 of STEP III, I'm now latexing it.

Q10 - III

Moment of inertia about rod through midpoint = 13Ma2 \frac{1}{3}Ma^2 (Standard result)

By parallel axis theorem, moment of inertia through P = 13Ma2+Mx2=13M(a2+3x2) \frac{1}{3} Ma^2 + Mx^2 = \frac{1}{3} M (a^2+3x^2) , as required.

Next, consider angular momentum in the collision:

m(a+x)2u(a+x)=m(a+x)2ϕ+13M(a2+3x2)θ m(a+x)^2 \frac{u}{(a+x)} = m(a+x)^2 \phi + \frac{1}{3} M(a^2+3x^2) \theta , where ϕ \phi is the angular speed of the particle after the collision and θ \theta is the same for the rod. Next, consider Newtons Law of Restitution:

eu=(a+x)(θϕ) eu = (a+x)( \theta - \phi ) (Using v = rw)

ϕ=θeua+x \phi = \theta - \frac{eu}{a+x}

Plugging into conservation of angular momentum:

mu(a+x)=meu(a+x)+m(a+x)2θ+13M(a2+3x2)θ mu(a+x) = - meu(a+x) +m(a+x)^2 \theta + \frac{1}{3}M(a^2+3x^2) \theta

Which re-arranges to give:

θ=(3mu)(1+e)(a+x)M(a2+3x2)+3m(a+x)2 \theta = \dfrac{(3mu)(1+e)(a+x)}{M(a^2+3x^2)+3m(a+x)^2 } Which is the desired result. Now, let's plug in m = 2M and call this speed y (For notation simplicity):

y=6u(1+e)(a+x)a2+3x2+6(a+x)2 y = \dfrac{6u(1+e)(a+x)}{a^2+3x^2+6(a+x)^2}

We want to find the value of x for which the angular velocity is greatest, so we need to differentiate and set equal to 0. Writing this as y = f(x)/g(x) and applying the quotient rule, we know that this is 0 when f'(x)g(x)-g'(x)f(x) = 0, so let's do some differentiating:

f(x)=6u(1+e)(a+x) f(x) = 6u(1+e)(a+x)

f(x)=6u(1+e) f'(x) = 6u(1+e)

g(x)=a2+3x2+6(a+x)2 g(x) = a^2+3x^2 + 6(a+x)^2

g(x)=6x+12(a+x) g'(x) = 6x + 12(a+x)

So 6u(1+e)[a2+3x2+6(a+x)2]6u(1+e)(a+x)[6x+12(a+x)]=0 6u(1+e)[a^2+3x^2 + 6(a+x)^2] - 6u(1+e)(a+x)[6x + 12(a+x)] = 0

a2+3x2+6(a+x)26x(a+x)12(a+x)2=0 a^2 + 3x^2 + 6(a+x)^2 - 6x(a+x) - 12(a+x)^2 = 0

6(a+x)2+6x(a+x)3x2a2=0 6(a+x)^2 + 6x(a+x) - 3x^2 - a^2 = 0

9x2+18ax+5a2=0 9x^2 + 18ax + 5a^2 = 0

(3x+a)(3x+5a)=0 (3x+a)(3x+5a) = 0

Giving solutions of x = -a/3, x = -5a/3. We reject the latter as it lies off of the rod and take x = -a/3 which plugs into the equation for y to give the angular velocity as u(1+e)/a, as required. In order to show that this is a maximum, we simply plug in a value of x close (e.g. x = 0 and note that the resultant velocity is smaller such that this angular velocity must be greatest.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 145
Original post by GG.TintiN
I forgot what I wrote during the exam...nonetheless I think I got the answer because i was very focused after I failed the 1st attempt by y=ux and used y=ux^2 for second trial

good luck if you are taking III

Do you mean you got the answer with the e^ in it? I still fail to see how using the substitution ux^2 (which I used, and am pretty sure is correct) leads to any ln's or e's
I think this is OK for Step 1 Q6
Q7 - STEP III

Part i):

Spoiler

Part ii):

Spoiler

Part iii):

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Q9 STEP III

This seems very dubious

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 149
STEP III 2013 Q1
If you spot an error, let me know!
Right-o! This is the tan half-angle substitution taught in further pure maths. The formulae below can be deduced by differentiating and by using formulae for the sine and cosine of an inverse tangent justify these using right-angled triangles (labelled with angle x/2) or algebra, remembering that x is restricted to < x < π.

Unparseable latex formula:

x = 2\tan ^{-1}\left( t\right) \Rightarrow t=\tan \left( x / 2\right) \\[br]\dfrac {dx} {dt}=\dfrac {2} {1+t^{2}}\Rightarrow \dfrac {dt} {dx}=\dfrac {1} {2}\left( 1+t^{2}\right) \\[br]\sin \left( x\right) =2\sin \left( x / 2\right) \cos \left( x / 2\right) =2\dfrac {t} {\sqrt {1+t^{2}}}\dfrac {1} {\sqrt {1+t^{2}}}=\dfrac {2t} {1+t^{2}}[br]

The first result then transpires using this substitution. Two points to note:

The integrand turns into a rational function with quadratic denominator. After completing the square and substituting the squared term, it becomes a standard inverse tan integral, because 1 a2 is positive (since 0 < a < 1).

The result of integration is the difference between two inverse tan functions, A and B. This is simplified by considering A B as tan-1(tan(A B)) (notice A B is within the range of tan-1​(x)) and simplifying using the multiple angle formula on the inner bracket.

\displaystyle\int _{0}^{\pi/2}\dfrac {dx} {1+a\sin \left( x\right) } = \displaystyle\int _{\tan \left( 0\right) }^{\tan \left(\pi/4\right) }\dfrac {\dfrac {2dt} {1+t^{2}}} {1+\dfrac {2at} {1+t^{2}}} = \displaystyle\int _{0}^{1}\dfrac {2dt} {t^{2}+2at+1} \\[br]= \displaystyle\int _{0}^{1}\dfrac {2dt} {\left( t+a\right) ^{2}+1-a^{2}} = 2\displaystyle\int _{a}^{1+a}\dfrac {du} {u^{2}+\left( 1-a^{2}\right) } \\[br]=\dfrac {2} {\sqrt {1-a^{2}}}\left( \tan ^{-1}\left(\dfrac {1+a} {\sqrt {1-a^{2}}}\right) - \tan ^{-1}\left( \dfrac {a} {\sqrt {1-a^{2}}}\right) \right) \\[br]= \dfrac {2} {\sqrt {1-a^{2}}} \tan ^{-1}\left( \dfrac {\dfrac {1+a-a} {\sqrt {1-a^{2}}}} {1+\dfrac {a\left( 1+a\right) } {1-a^{2}}}\right) = \dfrac {2} {\sqrt {1-a^{2}}} \tan ^{-1}\left( \dfrac {\sqrt {1-a^{2}}} {1-a^{2}+a+a^{2}}\right) \\[br]= \dfrac {2} {\sqrt {1-a^{2}}} \tan ^{-1}\left( \dfrac {\sqrt {1-a}} {\sqrt {1+a}}\right)

The second part turns into a reduction formula whose 0th term can be evaluated using the above result.

I_{n+1}+2I_{n}=\displaystyle\int _{0}^{\pi/2}\dfrac {\sin ^{n+1}\left( x\right) +2\sin ^{n}\left( x\right) } {2+\sin \left( x\right) }dx = \displaystyle\int _{0}^{\pi/2}\dfrac {\sin ^{n}\left( x\right)\left(\sin(x) + 2\right) } {2+\sin \left( x\right) }dx \\[br]= \displaystyle\int _{0}^{\pi/2}\sin ^{n}\left( x\right) dx \Rightarrow I_{n+1} = \displaystyle\int _{0}^{\dfrac {\pi } {2}}\sin ^{n}\left( x\right)dx - 2I_n

I_3 = \displaystyle\int _{0}^{\pi/2}\sin ^{2}\left( x\right)dx - 2\left( \displaystyle\int _{0}^{\pi/2}\sin\left( x\right)dx - 2\left(\displaystyle\int _{0}^{\pi/2}dx-2I_{0}\right)\right) \\[br]= \dfrac{1}{2}\displaystyle\int _{0}^{\pi/2} \left(1-\cos \left( 2x\right)\right) dx - 2\displaystyle\int _{0}^{\pi/2}\sin\left( x\right)dx +4\displaystyle\int _{0}^{\pi/2}dx-8I_{0} \\[br]= \dfrac {1} {2}\left( \dfrac {\pi } {2}-\dfrac {1} {2}\left[ \sin \left( 2x\right) \right]_0^{\pi / 2}\right) + 2\left[ \cos \left( x\right) \right] _{0}^{\pi / 2} + 2\pi - 8I_0 \\[br]= \dfrac {\pi } {4} - 2 + 2\pi -\dfrac {8} {2}\displaystyle\int _{0}^{\pi / 2}\dfrac {dx} {1+\dfrac {1} {2}\sin \left( x\right) } \\[br]= \dfrac {9\pi } {4} - 2 - 4\left( \dfrac {2} {\sqrt {1-\frac{1}{4}}} \tan ^{-1}\left( \dfrac {\sqrt {1-\frac{1}{2}}} {\sqrt {1+\frac{1}{2}}}\right)\right) = \dfrac {9\pi } {4} -2 - \dfrac {16} {\sqrt {3}}\tan ^{-1}\left(\dfrac {1} {\sqrt {3}}\right) \\[br]= \dfrac {9\pi } {4} - 2 - \dfrac {8\pi} {3\sqrt {3}}= \left(\dfrac {9} {4} - \dfrac {8\sqrt {3}} {9}\right)\pi - 2[br][br]

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mikelbird
I think this is OK for Q5

I could have sworn it said 45 degrees clockwise about the origin, I checked this twice.
Reply 152
Original post by mikelbird
I think this is OK for Step 1 Q6

Essentially what I got except I concluded that the series was 'one term off' the Fibonacci sequence as (00)=1\binom{0}{0}=1, does it not? :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 153
Original post by borealis72
Yeah there are definitely a couple of errors that I can't quite spot yet, you may want to have a thorough check:

I3=(94839)π2 I_3 = \left(\dfrac {9} {4} - \dfrac {8\sqrt {3}} {9}\right)\pi - 2

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate%28sin%28x%29%5E3%2F%282+%2B+sin%28x%29%29+from+x+%3D+0+to+pi%2F2%29

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%289%2F4+-+8%2F%283sqrt%283%29%29%29pi+-+2

Edit:
The errors are:

1) The integral of sin(x) is -cos(x)
2) 8*I_0 is subtracted and not added on, your sign suddenly changes

In the deepest depths of code... SIGN-CHANGE NINJUTSU!!!

Thank you, much obliged :biggrin:
STEP III, Q13:

Spoiler

Original post by FJacob
i)

Spoiler

ii)

Spoiler

iii)

Spoiler

iv)

Spoiler

Here's my solution to this neglected question, which happened to be my favorite. Please let me know of any mistakes.

This might be picky or the question might be badly worded but in (ii) if x = z then the identities are not distinct. The question doesn't say it but I think it should assume that X, Y and Z are distinct.
Reply 156
Would love to hear an approximate mark for what I got in Step 1:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 157
Original post by msmith2512
This might be picky or the question might be badly worded but in (ii) if x = z then the identities are not distinct. The question doesn't say it but I think it should assume that X, Y and Z are distinct.

I'm not sure I follow.
Where have I assumed they might not be distinct?
Or do you mean in case they were there would be some more cases to analyse?
Reply 158
Original post by Ab3rry
Would love to hear an approximate mark for what I got in Step 1:

Spoiler

I think a 2 shouldn't be a problem...GJ=)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkn
Essentially what I got except I concluded that the series was 'one term off' the Fibonacci sequence as (00)=1\binom{0}{0}=1, does it not? :P

You are absolutely right!!

corrected attachment below

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending