The Student Room Group

IAL Jan 2019Unit 1 MCQ 10

Hi
This question has baffled me, help me understand the correct answer. It's a graph question and i don't know whether i can post a graph here but this is the link to the paper.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Chemistry/2013/Exam%20materials/WCH01_01_que_20190110.pdf
Original post by Daada
Hi
This question has baffled me, help me understand the correct answer. It's a graph question and i don't know whether i can post a graph here but this is the link to the paper.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Chemistry/2013/Exam%20materials/WCH01_01_que_20190110.pdf

That’s an extrapolation question.

Start by drawing a vertical line at t = 3 1/2 minutes.

Draw a straight line that passes through all the points between t = 0 and t = 3 1/2 minutes. This will be a horizontal line corresponding to the initial temperature of the solution.

Now draw a straight line through all the points from the 5 minute mark to the 12 minute mark, as these points lie in a straight line. Extend this line back as far as the vertical line at t = 3 1/2 minutes. The point at which this extended line meets the vertical line at t = 3 1/2 minutes corresponds to the extrapolated maximum temperature.

The difference between your extrapolated maximum temperature and initial temperature will be your temperature rise.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
(Original post by TypicalNerd)That’s an extrapolation question.

Draw a straight line that passes through all the points between t = 0 and t = 3 1/2 minutes. This will be a horizontal line corresponding to the initial temperature of the solution.

Now draw a straight line through all the points from the 5 minute mark to the 12 minute mark, as these points lie in a straight line. Extend this line back as far as the vertical line at t = 3 1/2 minutes. The point at which this extended line meets the vertical line at t = 3 1/2 minutes corresponds to the extrapolated maximum temperature.

The difference between your extrapolated maximum temperature and initial temperature will be your temperature rise.

Original post by TypicalNerd
That’s an extrapolation question.

I've gotten it. Thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest