The Student Room Group

How much revision is enough for a level Maths

I know maths is all about practice practice practice but like… how much should I be aiming to do? I get lost and don’t even know where to start. I understand pretty much all of it and do fine in class and homework it’s just the tricker questions and time pressure that gets me. And I mean for a mock that I have in two weeks not the final exam lol
Reply 1
Original post by Nat4695
I know maths is all about practice practice practice but like… how much should I be aiming to do? I get lost and don’t even know where to start. I understand pretty much all of it and do fine in class and homework it’s just the tricker questions and time pressure that gets me. And I mean for a mock that I have in two weeks not the final exam lol

I guess the amount is whatever it takes to get the grade youre after. But the question is probably more about how to get started ... with exam questions. As you say, practice is really the key thing but

Learn how to read a question so you spot what topic you need to use, is it a "hence" so it depends on previous parts? If you have to prove/show something, could you work back a few steps from that expression to see how to get started?

"Sketch" the info in the question so you translate all the info in it and you understand it. Think about what is stopping you getting started, can you start a partial solution and maybe identify how to overcome the sticking point.

If youre stuck with starting a question, maybe ask for a hint on maths - f38 and try not to look at a mark scheme too quickly as its too easy to overlook how you understand the question / set up the solution, whereas the mark scheme is more about the mechanics of the solution.

Watch a few people (youtube, ...) answering questions youve already attempted and see how they set up the problem/solution. Think about what steps they took.

Maybe attempt certain questions again in a few weeks, if you got them wrong or needed lots of help to get it done.

But the boring advice is regular (daily) practice / discussion / reflection is key.
Reply 2
Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest