The Student Room Group

Edexcel M3 - May 13th, 2015 [Exam discussion thread]

Scroll to see replies

How many marks do you lose for not showing solving of the quadratic even if you get the right answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
How many marks do you lose for not showing solving of the quadratic even if you get the right answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

An M1 maybe? Depends on how harsh the mark scheme is.
Original post by HMusa
I'm sure you wouldn't lose any as long as the answers correct and you've not jumped too many steps

It wasnt me but my friend. So he got his wuadratic then did quad formula in his cal to get answer. He got everything right, would be sad if he doesnt het 100 ums!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fatart123
An M1 maybe? Depends on how harsh the mark scheme is.

He did it twice unfortunately. Sad cause he got everything right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He did it twice unfortunately. Sad cause he got everything right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably lost 2 marks then. I mean, it's right because it is kinda unfair if you can just use a calculator to solve algebraic stuff. Still, an A*'s an A* so I wouldn't be too arsed if I was him.
Reply 925
Original post by imyimy
Okay these are my wrong answers, and guesses how many marks I would've lost?
1. b. I got "1cm" for some reason, but I did change in Epe= or where Epe was initially x=0.4 and final x=x and gpe was mgX

4.c my guess for trapezium rule was I figured out t=1 t=2, and x=0 x=7, then I did a table with t=1,1.25,1.5,1.75,2 and v= values for them, then I got 4.17.

6.b. For the SHM I was an idiot and did -12x + 8x = -4x= 0.5Acc so -8x=acc
c. Used then impulse and mass to find v, then did vmax=omega A, but with my wrong omega.
d. Wrong omega and A but x=1.2 for 1.2=AsinWt

7.c I equated the suvats for horizontal distance and vertical distance and found T and rearranged it using T=X/ucos into s=it+1/2gt^2. I got 0.82m which i know is wrong.

Thank you :smile:

How many marks do you think you'll get for that last part of question 7? I actually also did exactly what you did I think and got 0.82✋👊. haha I'm such a fail in life 😢
Reply 926
Original post by imyimy
Okay these are my wrong answers, and guesses how many marks I would've lost?
1. b. I got "1cm" for some reason, but I did change in Epe= or where Epe was initially x=0.4 and final x=x and gpe was mgX

4.c my guess for trapezium rule was I figured out t=1 t=2, and x=0 x=7, then I did a table with t=1,1.25,1.5,1.75,2 and v= values for them, then I got 4.17.

6.b. For the SHM I was an idiot and did -12x + 8x = -4x= 0.5Acc so -8x=acc
c. Used then impulse and mass to find v, then did vmax=omega A, but with my wrong omega.
d. Wrong omega and A but x=1.2 for 1.2=AsinWt

7.c I equated the suvats for horizontal distance and vertical distance and found T and rearranged it using T=X/ucos into s=it+1/2gt^2. I got 0.82m which i know is wrong.

Thank you :smile:

What did you get for your t in the last one?
Reply 927
how many marks was the SHM question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was a quadratic in June 2013, and you had to show both solutions to get full marks if you used your calculator. However, this question was slightly different as the quadratic was easy to factorise.
Reply 929
Original post by HMusa
What did you get for your t in the last one?

I didn't work out t I subbed in x/vcosA
Can someone remind me what q1 was as can't remember what I put for it. Think I got everything else. :smile:
Reply 931
Haven't had a chance to read through the thread but these are some quick solutions I've written up based on what I wrote in the exam. Be sure to tell me if I've made a mistake.
Edit: forgot 7c I'll scan that in a minute.
(edited 8 years ago)
Think I've got about 65/75. Is that around 80-85 UMS?
Original post by Gawain
Haven't had a chance to read through the thread but these are some quick solutions I've written up based on what I wrote in the exam. Be sure to tell me if I've made a mistake.
Edit: forgot 7c I'll scan that in a minute.

i got same answer for all of them. cheer up buddy:smile::smile:.
ANd what did u get for the last 7c.
Original post by bigboateng
ooops, yeah I can confirm it was a=-40x

yeah I knew it was wrong.. a=-10x got me an amplitude of 3.8m.. the string was only 6m LOL
Original post by StarvingAutist
Damn, yeah. Oh well.

And I got 1.2 for the last question :confused:
Maybe I did **** after all :cry: for ****'s sake.. the one time I think it went well..

I know what you did, I did the same. You took the vertical velocity as it leaves the sphere as a positive as if it was being fired up so T (the time before it hits the ground) is longer. Such a rookie mistake I hope it doesn't cost us more than 2 marks :frown:
Original post by rohanpritchard
I know what you did, I did the same. You took the vertical velocity as it leaves the sphere as a positive as if it was being fired up so T (the time before it hits the ground) is longer. Such a rookie mistake I hope it doesn't cost us more than 2 marks :frown:

Possible, though I'm pretty sure I put g, s and v as positive. I know that I did 0.5 + x, forgetting it would actually be 0.5sina + x. How costly would that be? :dontknow:
Grade boundary predictions? (I probably got around 70/75)
Reply 938
Original post by kkandel143
i got same answer for all of them. cheer up buddy:smile::smile:.
ANd what did u get for the last 7c.

0.78m
I've attached it below.
So in question 1 i got the extension right, but use natural length =l at last, prob lost 1 mark
In the trapezium i got the method right, but totally forgot to put t=1.75 in the table, how many mark would you recon
In question 7c, i found the distance from where it start to where it hit the ground right, but instead of adding rsin alpha, i added r, so prob 1 mark lost. The rest seemed right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending