The Student Room Group

A Guide to TSR

Scroll to see replies

What do I do if I want my thread moved to another section?

It happens to everybody. You want to post a thread about a cool game you just found, but you forgot you were in the UCAS forum so now your thread is in the wrong place. No worries. Our team have magic powers which let us move threads between sections. If you want your thread moved to another section or see a thread you think might be in the wrong place you can use the "posting help" option in the report tool to ask for it to be moved. You can also get in touch with a team member and ask them for help.

Sometimes our team will come across threads in the wrong forum and move them somewhere else. We'll try to let you know when we do, but sometimes we forget so if your thread isn't where you left it try using the search tool or going onto your profile and "my stats" to find it. If you can't find a thread you can always as a team member for help.

If your post was anonymous don't worry. We won't de-anonymise it even if we move it to another forum. However, you will not be able to continue posting anonymously after the thread is moved if anon is not available in the new section.
How do I tag a forum in a post?

Type f: followed by the forum name. As you type a list will appear with suggestions of forums. Click the one you want and a tag will be added.

This should give you something like forum games.
(edited 4 years ago)
What do I do if I want to delete my post? What if I've made a thread by mistake?

No worries. Just report it using the "posting help" option if you're on web or mobile, or get in touch with a friendly team member and explain what happened. That includes if you posted a thread in the wrong section, forgot to go anon, want an old thread deleted, or just made a boo-boo somehow.
(edited 4 years ago)
How do I make an anonymous post?

Sometimes people will want to discuss or get advice on personal topics and may not want their profile linked to that. Because of that we have some forums which allow anonymous posting. With anonymous posting your username and avatar will be replaced by "Anonymous" and grey speech bubbles.

To post anonymously check the "post anonymously" box above or below the content box. You can post anonymously in the Health, Sexual Health, Mental Health, Advice on Every Day Issues, Relationships, Unis, and Uni Life forums.
(edited 4 years ago)
Where and when should I post anonymously?

We have guidelines on when you should/ shouldn't post anonymously so please make sure you have a good reason. We ask that you only use the anonymous option for sensitive topics. If you miss-use the anonymous function (like using it to hide when posting non constructive content) you may find yourself with a warning or card. You can find out more about our moderation and card system here.
Anything else I should know about the anon function?

Please be aware that some of our team including the VT (Volunteer Team) and CS (Community Staff) can see who has posted an anonymous comment. We need some of our team to know who anonymous posters are so they can do their thing on site (like warning people who miss-use the function or helping people who want something edited). We will only refer to that when necessary though and will never disclose who has posted anonymously or de-anonymise any post.

You cannot edit anonymous posts yourself, but if you ever forget to post anon or want anon content edited you can use the "posting help" option in the report tool or get in touch with a friendly ST for help. You can find out more about the report tool and getting in touch with team members here.
(edited 4 years ago)
How do I make my post all fancy like?

There are loads of ways you can spruce up your post including changing the text colour, adding images and creating spoilers. If you want to learn some of the cool tricks you can use check out this guide.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/misc.php?do=bbcode
How do I turn on/off notifications for a thread?

To disable notifications for specific threads, hover over your profile picture, and go to 'My watched threads'. Select the checkbox to the right of the threads you want to turn off notifications for, scroll to the bottom of the page, and in the 'Selected Threads' dropdown select 'Disable notifications' then press OK. To enable notifications, simply do the same process, but select 'Enable notifications instead.

To turn off notifications for all watched threads, hover over your profile picture, and go to 'My watched threads'. Under 'Watched thread notification' tick the radio button next to 'Receive notifications for threads I've created'. If you change your mind, simply repeat the process and change to 'Receive notifications for threads I've created, replied to or I am watching' instead!
Where do I make moderation queries?

Create a thread in Ask the Community Staff. Provide as many details as you can about the query and one of the wonderful Community Staff or Mods will get back to you :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
How do I find Ask the Community Staff?

Here!. Or alternatively, go to the full forum list here, navigate down to the Help and Announcements section, and click on Ask the Community Staff link there.*
(edited 3 years ago)
I disagree with a card I've received, what should I do?

Create a thread in Ask the Community Staff. Let them know which card you wish to challenge and why. They'll make a decision on if the card is valid or not, and let you know.
(edited 3 years ago)
What is the report button? What does it do?

The report button is in the top right of each post on browser, or if you press and hold any post on the app, the report button will appear. On the app it simply sends a report to the Community Staff to deal with, while on desktop you should select the most relevant title from the drop downs and fill out the box explaining why you have reported it. The report will then be sent to the Mods who will be able to deal with it, and send you a reply to let you know that they have done so.
(edited 3 years ago)
How do I change the default number of posts on a page?

Hover over your username at the top of the page, then hover over 'Customise My TSR'. On the new dropdown list left click Edit My Account Options. Scroll down to 'Thread Display Options' on this page. Here you will be able to change the Number of posts per page and also what order the posts in a thread appear (oldest to newest etc) by clicking their respective dropdown tabs.
(edited 4 years ago)
How do I change my avatar?

Hover over your username at the top of the page. This will give you a drop down list, hover over the 'Customise My Tsr' option then left click Change My Avatar. This will take you to a new page where you can change your avatar. TSR has a number of pre-defined set avatars, to access these click on the drop down list underneath Avatar Category, choose the category you want and select the image of the avatar you want from the page. If you want to upload your own image the first option is to upload the URL of the image you want (if it's a web image) the second and easiest method is to save the image you want and upload it from your computer. Bear in mind that files large than 50KB will be resized and so you may lose some detail of a very large image that you upload. Make sure you click 'Save Changes' when you have chosen an avatar you want. If you dont want an avatar anymore (this will reset it to the default TSR speech mark bubbles), tick the 'Do not use avatar' circle and save the changes.
(edited 4 years ago)
How do I change my profile picture?

A profile picture is an image that appears on your profile page unlike avatars which are the images next to your username every time you post. Changing your Profile Picture is very similar to Changing your avatar. As with before, hover over your username at the top of the page > hover over the 'Customise My Tsr' option then left click Change My Profile Picture. Unlike with the avatars there are no TSR pre-defined images that you can use for profile pictures. You upload an image either by pasting the URL of a web image or uploading your own saved image from your computer. Profile pictures can be larger than avatars (100 x 160 pixels as opposed to 100 x 100). If you have decided you dont want a PP anymore select the delete current image tick box and save the changes. This will delete your PP from your tsr page (there isn't a default profile picture as there is with avatars).
(edited 4 years ago)
How do I show/hide signatures?

Signatures are phrases/images/gifs that users sometimes have, this means for every post they make their signature will appear underneath the post. For some people they dislike this so you can toggle off seeing people's signatures entirely in threads or make it so that they are collapsed and you can manually click on the little blue arrow on their post to reveal their signature. To do this hover over your username, hover over the 'Customise My TSR' option then select Edit My Account Options from the new dropdown under 'Account'. Scroll down to 'Thread Display Options' and untick the 'show signatures' box if you dont want to see signatures. Leave it ticked if you do. In this section there is also the 'additional signature options' at the bottom. This gives you the option to have signatures folded/collapsed if they are displayed.
(edited 4 years ago)
How do I change my signature?

If you want your own signature to appear under posts you can create one by hovering over your username, hovering over 'Cutomise my TSR' and selecting 'Change My Signature'. This gives you a textbox similar to the reply box in threads in which you can create your signature. After you have done this you can either preview your signature to see what it will look like on a thread page and then save it or go back and edit it. When you post on a thread you have the option underneath the reply box to toggle off your signature for each post.
(edited 4 years ago)
How do I start/stop getting emails about threads?

Hover over your username at the top bar, then hover over 'Customise My TSR'. On the new dropdown list left click Edit My Email Settings. On this page scroll down to the bottom. Here you will find 'Watched thread email alerts'. If you dont want to receive emails click 'No email Alerts' from the dropdown, if you do select the frequency you want, e.g Weekly, Daily, Instant.
(edited 4 years ago)
How do I watch a thread without posting?

At the top of each thread there is a 'Watch button'
Screenshot (16).png
Click this button to watch a thread without posting in it.
(edited 4 years ago)
How do I unwatch a thread?

Unwatch the thread by clicking the above button again (It will say 'Un-watch')
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending