The Student Room Group

Diagonalize matrix

I have the matrix [2 3;3 2] and wish to diagnoalize it.

First I find the eigenvalues of : -1 and 5 and put them into a matrix as:

P=[-1 0;0 5]

Then find the eigenvectors for each value and put them into a matrix
D= [1 1; -1 1]

Then find the inverse of p

-1/5 [-1 0; 0 5]

and then what?
Reply 1
Original post by Carlo08
I have the matrix [2 3;3 2] and wish to diagnoalize it.

First I find the eigenvalues of : -1 and 5 and put them into a matrix as:

P=[-1 0;0 5]

Then find the eigenvectors for each value and put them into a matrix
D= [1 1; -1 1]

Then find the inverse of p

-1/5 [-1 0; 0 5]

and then what?

You've diagonalised it. It may be better to call your diagonal matrix of eigenvalues DD and your invertible matrix of eigenvectors PP

Then, calling your matrix AA, you have A=PDP1A=PDP^{-1}

You may want to check that AP=PDAP=PD and that PP is invertible (e.g. has determinant 0 non-zero determinant).

By the way, it isn't the inverse of the diagonal matrix of eigenvalues you require, instead the invertible matrix of eigenvectors.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by TheEd
You've diagonalised it. It may be better to call your diagonal matrix of eigenvalues DD and your invertible matrix of eigenvectors PP

Then, calling your matrix AA, you have A=PDP1A=PDP^{-1}

You may want to check that AP=PDAP=PD and that PP is invertible (e.g. has determinant 0).

By the way, it isn't the inverse of the diagonal matrix of eigenvalues you require, instead the invertible matrix of eigenvectors.

* non zero
Reply 3
Original post by DeanK22
* non zero

Correct. P should have non-zero determinant so that it is invertible :tongue: :colondollar:
Reply 4
Just to elaborate on what TheEd said (because understanding the concept means it's easier to remember):

The idea of a diagonalised matrix is that it takes a two particular vectors (the eigenvectors) and scales them.

Now, as it is, the matrix (2332)\begin{pmatrix} 2 & 3 \\ 3 & 2 \end{pmatrix} tells you that it sends (10)\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} to (23)\begin{pmatrix} 2 \\ 3 \end{pmatrix} and (01)\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} to (32)\begin{pmatrix} 3 \\ 2 \end{pmatrix}. However, you also know that it sends (11)\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} to 5×(11)5 \times \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} and (11)\begin{pmatrix}-1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} to 1×(11)-1 \times \begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}, so what you want to get is a matrix which:

1. Sends (10)\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} to (11)\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} and (01)\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} to (11)\begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} (i.e. it sends the basis vectors to the eigenvectors)
2. Scales these two vectors appropriately
3. Takes you back to where you started

Since these both do the same thing to both the basis vectors, they must be the same thing, so they're equal.

This is why when you diagonalise you get something in the form A=P1DPA=P^{-1}DP, where DD is diagonal: the matrix PP sends your basis vectors to the eigenvectors of the matrix, then DD scales them, and finally P1P^{-1} takes you back to where you were.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by nuodai
Just to elaborate on what TheEd said (because understanding the concept means it's easier to remember):

The idea of a diagonalised matrix is that it takes a two particular vectors (the eigenvectors) and scales them.

Now, as it is, the matrix (2332)\begin{pmatrix} 2 & 3 \\ 3 & 2 \end{pmatrix} tells you that it sends (10)\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} to (23)\begin{pmatrix} 2 \\ 3 \end{pmatrix} and (01)\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} to (32)\begin{pmatrix} 3 \\ 2 \end{pmatrix}. However, you also know that it sends (11)\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} to 5×(11)5 \times \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} and (11)\begin{pmatrix}-1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} to 1×(11)-1 \times \begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}, so what you want to get is a matrix which:

1. Sends (10)\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} to (11)\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} and (01)\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} to (11)\begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} (i.e. it sends the basis vectors to the eigenvectors)
2. Scales these two vectors appropriately
3. Takes you back to where you started

Since these both do the same thing to both the basis vectors, they must be the same thing, so they're equal.

This is why when you diagonalise you get something in the form A=P1DPA=P^{-1}DP, where DD is diagonal: the matrix PP sends your basis vectors to the eigenvectors of the matrix, then DD scales them, and finally P1P^{-1} takes you back to where you were.

Thank you both. So D is actually the diagonalized matrix?

The question I am given asks for the modal matrix is this the P? And then it asks me to find the product : PAP-1 so is this then giving me D?
Reply 6
Original post by Carlo08

The question I am given asks for the modal matrix is this the P? And then it asks me to find the product : PAP-1 so is this then giving me D?

Yup, P is the modal matrix, i.e. the matrix whose columns are eigenvectors. It's sometimes called the "change of basis matrix" for other reasons.

Because A=P1DPA=P^{-1}DP we must have PAP1=DPAP^{-1}=D, which is diagonal (assuming A can be diagonalised of course!)
Reply 7
Original post by Carlo08

AA is the diagonalised matrix, DD is the diagonal matrix of eigenvalues, PP is the modal matrix.

So if the diagonalised form of A=P1DPA=P^{-1}DP then D=PAP1D=PAP^{-1} and the question is asking you to check this.
Reply 8
My lecture notes give me D = P^-1 A P

So does that mean that A = PDP^-1 which is backwards of what is written above :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by Carlo08
My lecture notes give me D = P^-1 A P

So does that mean that A = PDP^-1 which is backwards of what is written above :s-smilie:

This is also correct (actually the way I learnt it and how I said it in my first post)
Reply 10
Original post by TheEd
This is also correct (actually the way I learnt it and how I said it in my first post)

Sorry for being dumb here but how does A=PDP-1 and = P-1 DP when matrix multiplication is dependent on the order.
Reply 11
Original post by Carlo08
Sorry for being dumb here but how does A=PDP-1 and = P-1 DP when matrix multiplication is dependent on the order.

Notice the difference between D=P1APD=P^{-1}AP and A=PDP1A=PDP^{-1} (I got the PPs and P1P^{-1}s mixed up in my previous posts... oops).
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest