The Student Room Group

Julian Assange (wikileaks) Facebook Protest

This is going around facebook atm ..

Ok so we all had cartoon characters to show our support against child abuse. What about abuse of the truth and the rights of individuals to posses and share information? Democracy ceases to exist when the Establishment is threatened! Copy and use my profile pic as your own. Lets unite as one face and turn Facebook Anonymous in support of Wikileaks and founder Julian Assange. Please use, copy and repost where ever you can.

Said kind of badly but w/e

Heres the pic if you want to support.

From V for Vendetta for anyone wondering (very good film)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
:mob: :goodnight:
Reply 3
I don't see how this helps really. Its all going to come down to a a court case. If Julian has nothing to hide then he should be looking forward to it.
Reply 4
to be honest, the governments across the world(mainly here in the UK, and ESPECIALLY in america are terrified of the stuff wiki-leaks can expose about them

they play it down, and use propaganda to close it

i do not endorse wikiliks, but i must say, they can't be stopped or defeated

the internet can trump ANY government
believe me, as we speak, the wikileaks files are multiplying and spreading like fire
it's impossible to stop it now.

1. the government in the USA find a better way to hide them
2. they stop commiting crimes against humanity, and using dirty evil politics

either one or two will stop any files exposing cruelty.
Reply 5
Original post by Aj12
I don't see how this helps really. Its all going to come down to a a court case. If Julian has nothing to hide then he should be looking forward to it.

you're forgetting
it is in the interest of many governments to stop him exposing truth...
trust me, power can make up lies
even if he is innocent, they will do whatever they can to get him arrested.
we need to stop believing media, and actually thinking
it isn't straight foward when you look at the wider picture
i guess, us sheep, aren't meant to think on our feet
WEL HA
i am.
join me if you want
Reply 6
Original post by sixthformer
you're forgetting
it is in the interest of many governments to stop him exposing truth...
trust me, power can make up lies
even if he is innocent, they will do whatever they can to get him arrested.
we need to stop believing media, and actually thinking
it isn't straight foward when you look at the wider picture
i guess, us sheep, aren't meant to think on our feet
WEL HA
i am.
join me if you want

Sweden is not some banana republic its a independent democracy with an independent judiciary. The charges are fairly flimsy, he has a good lawyer.

The US is also running out of time to extradite him. They have till next week under EU law to make the request with charges.

Even then Espionage will be a very hard charge to argue for. He did not steal the files he only published them and so he should be protected under freedom of speech.

I think hes going to sail through these charges nicely and likely come out of it smelling like roses
Reply 7
Original post by Aj12

The point is to show that people are paying attention to whats actually happening and that the powers that be arent going to be able to do what they like without people knowing about it anymore, as much as it is to save Assange
I don't really say how changing FB pictures is going to achieve anything. It'll just get replaced when people get bored of it.
Original post by I'mNewHere
This is going around facebook atm ..

Ok so we all had cartoon characters to show our support against child abuse. What about abuse of the truth and the rights of individuals to posses and share information? Democracy ceases to exist when the Establishment is threatened! Copy and use my profile pic as your own. Lets unite as one face and turn Facebook Anonymous in support of Wikileaks and founder Julian Assange. Please use, copy and repost where ever you can.

Said kind of badly but w/e

Heres the pic if you want to support.

From V for Vendetta for anyone wondering (very good film)

As if changing a profile pic on facebook helped change the world... If you really want to make a difference, go out there and organise protests instead of making some half hearted mini statement from the confort of your own home. This slacktivism makes Assange supporters look like lazy spoiled kids who only participate in politics and social movements for the feel good effect they get with minimal effort. You're hurting Wikileaks more than you are helping them.
Reply 10
What is a profile picture going to achieve?
Just as useless as the Free Julian Assange page tbh.
Reply 11
Original post by Glowy Amoeba
As if changing a profile pic on facebook helped change the world... If you really want to make a difference, go out there and organise protests instead of making some half hearted mini statement from the confort of your own home. This slacktivism makes Assange supporters look like lazy spoiled kids who only participate in politics and social movements for the feel good effect they get with minimal effort. You're hurting Wikileaks more than you are helping them.

Really?..Polititions have to act according to what the people want to stay in power..The point of protests is to show the government that people care about something and to raise other peoples awareness of that thing. Covering facebook with information/signs that you care gets the message to way more people than a news report of a physical protest and will inevitably gather more participants than a protest.

You really think hardcore activists will decide not to advertise it on facebook in case they look lazy?
Reply 12
Original post by skyhigh!

see above
Reply 13
Original post by skyhigh!

What's the point of voting, your vote won't make a difference.
Original post by I'mNewHere
Really?..Polititions have to act according to what the people want to stay in power..The point of protests is to show the government that people care about something and to raise other peoples awareness of that thing. Covering facebook with information/signs that you care gets the message to way more people than a news report of a physical protest and will inevitably gather more participants than a protest.

You really think hardcore activists will decide not to advertise it on facebook in case they look lazy?

Only a select portion of the population actually takes something like facebook seriously. No one is going to drop charges against Assange because of random facebook activity. A huge number of people might participate, but it will still have a minimal effect, at best 15 minutes of fame and then poof it's back to square one. There are more people involved, but less is achieved because the supporters don't actually care and will have changed back to their old profile pic in a few days. You've already got way too many groups on facebook, and nothing constructive has come out of it. Activists still do it to look fashionable but that's about it.

I'm sure you mean well, and I agree with helping Wikileaks, but what you're proposing is an empty gesture and dilutes the real protesting effort.

Also, this :

:smile:
Reply 15
If there was a protest about "free Assange!!" would you guys join?
Original post by Aj12
If Julian has nothing to hide then he should be looking forward to it.

You win the prize for best irony ever.
Reply 17
Original post by Glowy Amoeba
Only a select portion of the population actually takes something like facebook seriously. No one is going to drop charges against Assange because of random facebook activity. A huge number of people might participate, but it will still have a minimal effect, at best 15 minutes of fame and then poof it's back to square one. There are more people involved, but less is achieved because the supporters don't actually care and will have changed back to their old profile pic in a few days. You've already got way too many groups on facebook, and nothing constructive has come out of it. Activists still do it to look fashionable but that's about it.

I'm sure you mean well, and I agree with helping Wikileaks, but what you're proposing is an empty gesture and dilutes the real protesting effort.

Also, this :

:smile:

Wikileaks is a very sensitive topic for people in government right now so public opinion matters alot.
Facebook shows what people think. Facebook is a source, possibly the best source,of public opinion. Any half sensible politition would definately pay attention to facebook

What they feel they can get away with depends on how the public will percieve it. A huge campaign on facbook would definately have a knock on effect on how they deal with Assange wether they say it openly or not

Ordinary public dont need to take facebook seriously to learn from it and most use it.

Also any impact facebook groups have is likely to be behind the scenes so I dont think we can judge them on visible results
Reply 18
Original post by danny111
What's the point of voting, your vote won't make a difference.

I know. Safe seat :angry:
Reply 19
Funny how you use exactly the same picture as 'Operation Payback', the hacker organisation which is currently screwing with websites related in turning down wikileaks (amazon, visa etc.).

Please do your proper research before posting some bull****.
I think you should put some more "the government doesn't give a **** about you, and even less about what you think." into your opinion. The student protests, for instance, are ongoing and sever, still the majority of politicians voted in favour of the rise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending