The Student Room Group

Libya: The Tables Have Turned.

Before, the situation was supposedly Gadaffi supporters against the "rebels". Now, however, the situation has changed... drastically.

The Western "Liberators" (i.e. Britain, France, USA etc) have flown in (literally) to "save the Libyan people" (oh, how I have lost faith in these immoral world Leaders - it almost makes me wish how our Prime Minister was an actual real and sensible Conservative Christian/Jew - and I am not even religious or Christian!) and now we have a different world.

That is, beforehand, the Gadaffi regime were the evil enemies and agressors and the "Libyan people" (those who the West are supposedly going to "save") were the poor victims. (Moving away from the media propaganda, if you have not realized - a lot of the "rebels" are actually Islamic fundamentalists - there were even a few pictured waving RPGs and screaming "Allahu Akbar"!! - they seem to have taken over from the actual protesters now!)

Now, however, the Western "Liberators" are now the aggressors and the country of Libya as a whole, the victims!! (Beware, that Gadaffi did warn Libya that the "West" would come and invade Libya...)

It is my opinion that other countries should not have invaded (that is what they are doing!) Libya - largely because their motives are obviously not sweet, innocent and moral - the picture of Cameron looking all professional makes me cringe and froth at the mouth - he is very, very immoral (at least, Gordon Brown looked like a "good" man (even if he was not!)). The motives are not good, so they should not have invaded!

Secondly, what becomes of Libya after they have been "liberated"?? (That is, if Libya does not unite to fight against their new enemy - the Western Aggressors!!) Will the West "help" them set up a "democratic government"?

This situation is ridiculous - how many British Prime Ministers will plunge Britain into more wars??? I only applaud Churchill, however Gadaffi is no Hitler and he certainly is not threatening to take over the world!!

Sorry for my rant, but Cameron gets on my nerves strutting about like he is a moral and "good" man and he knows best. Check out what he said:

" What we are doing is necessary, it is legal and it is right. "

Right?? In whose eyes??

"Tonight British forces are in action over Libya.
They are part of an international coalition that has come together to enforce the will of the United Nations and protect the Libyan people....
"

Protect?? Oh Lord, save us. :rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8390035/Libya-Live.html

So, why have we not invaded Zimbabwe?? Somalia?? North Korea?? China??? Pakistan?? Turkmenistan?? Saudi Arabia??

I think all that is left to say is:

Will we "save" Yemen next?

Oh, the hypocrisy and immorality...

Why are the British people not protesting en masse about this?? (Maybe because they have been controlled by the press and think that we really are doing the right thing against this so "evil dictator" Gaddafi.....?)

This will not end well...

Scroll to see replies

Erm, who exactly has invaded Libya?

Dunno why people are acting as if this is something that has never happened before. Limited military action, such as no-fly zones and airstrikes, to protect human rights have been used before, such as in Bosnia and Kosovo, meeting success.

For some reason idiots seem to think we are engaging in full scale war, a la Iraq.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Why did we invade then?
Reply 3
:yawn: Here we go again

You make it sound like we're sending in the entire army... This isn't an invasion.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
We should just leave the tyrant destroy Libya and bomb the libyans right?
Reply 5
The UN voted for a no fly zone to protect the ill-equiped rebels.

I fail to see how this is immoral, or even if it is immoral how David Cameron is the bad man. David Cameron is the 'head' of the UN right?
Reply 6
A couple of things I am confused about. Mr C says that this is legal because they have the Arab League's backing. Isnt this organisation full of regimes that are also killing their citizens and crushing peaceful protests with a similar level of ferocity?

Original post by win2kpro

Well we leave many tyrants free to torture and kill at their behest already?
Reply 7
This situation is no different than the bosnian situtaion in the 1990s, it's to save people from genocide. Stop trying to make this out to be another iraq war it is not.

I get what you are saying about we should do this in other countries, and yes you are right, but it's not that easy is it. Like i said in another thread different situtations call for different aproach and action. We are able to help out here, so i think we should. It is UN sanctioned and totally legal.
Reply 8
Original post by adam_zed
Well we leave many tyrants free to torture and kill at their behest already?

So it's wrong to intervene when we do intervene, just because we don't intervene with others?

The majority of other tyrants don't really have the majority of their population protesting against them and aren't getting bombed by their own government. + Aren't asking for our support, which the Libyans are?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Before, the situation was supposedly Gadaffi supporters against the "rebels". Now, however, the situation has changed... drastically.

The Western "Liberators" (i.e. Britain, France, USA etc) have flown in (literally) to "save the Libyan people" (oh, how I have lost faith in these immoral world Leaders - it almost makes me wish how our Prime Minister was an actual real and sensible Conservative Christian/Jew - and I am not even religious or Christian!) and now we have a different world.

That is, beforehand, the Gadaffi regime were the evil enemies and agressors and the "Libyan people" (those who the West are supposedly going to "save") were the poor victims. (Moving away from the media propaganda, if you have not realized - a lot of the "rebels" are actually Islamic fundamentalists - there were even a few pictured waving RPGs and screaming "Allahu Akbar"!! - they seem to have taken over from the actual protesters now!)

Now, however, the Western "Liberators" are now the aggressors and the country of Libya as a whole, the victims!! (Beware, that Gadaffi did warn Libya that the "West" would come and invade Libya...)

It is my opinion that other countries should not have invaded (that is what they are doing!) Libya - largely because their motives are obviously not sweet, innocent and moral - the picture of Cameron looking all professional makes me cringe and froth at the mouth - he is very, very immoral (at least, Gordon Brown looked like a "good" man (even if he was not!)). The motives are not good, so they should not have invaded!

Secondly, what becomes of Libya after they have been "liberated"?? (That is, if Libya does not unite to fight against their new enemy - the Western Aggressors!!) Will the West "help" them set up a "democratic government"?

This situation is ridiculous - how many British Prime Ministers will plunge Britain into more wars??? I only applaud Churchill, however Gadaffi is no Hitler and he certainly is not threatening to take over the world!!

Sorry for my rant, but Cameron gets on my nerves strutting about like he is a moral and "good" man and he knows best. Check out what he said:

" What we are doing is necessary, it is legal and it is right. "

Right?? In whose eyes??

"Tonight British forces are in action over Libya.
They are part of an international coalition that has come together to enforce the will of the United Nations and protect the Libyan people....
"

Protect?? Oh Lord, save us. :rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8390035/Libya-Live.html

So, why have we not invaded Zimbabwe?? Somalia?? North Korea?? China??? Pakistan?? Turkmenistan?? Saudi Arabia??

I think all that is left to say is:

Will we "save" Yemen next?

Oh, the hypocrisy and immorality...

Why are the British people not protesting en masse about this?? (Maybe because they have been controlled by the press and think that we really are doing the right thing against this so "evil dictator" Gaddafi.....?)

This will not end well...

I liked you. I liked your threads. I liked your polls.

But you are a dolt.

Why have we not invaded Zimbabwe or a host of other countries?

Write this down.

BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO REBELLION TO SUPPORT. THEY DO NOT WANT US

Libya has been begging for our support. No other countries are nor do they have the means to oust their governments mostly on their own.

We have a chance to help the Libyan people liberate themselves.
Original post by win2kpro

And we should just leave other countries too which have dictators and tyrants??
Surely even you want Gaddafi out, even the Arab league is backing military intervention and the no fly-zone, the only people that seem to be supporting him are him, his family and the 'Pro Gaddafi supporter' civilians in Libya which I highly suspect are just puppets payed to show their support in public

Sure some people do still support him (like.. why) but yeah, 99% want him out tbh, it's completely justified and morally right to out him because he's a tyrant, uses disproportional military force on his own people, kills civilians etc - There are so many good reasons to intervene

Original post by Aj12

But you are a dolt.

Write this down.

Libya has been begging for our support. No other countries are nor do they have the means to oust their governments mostly on their own.

Do you not still like me? :redface:

Many Chinese people have also called for our help - why do we not help them?

There is a degree of corruption and self-interest here and you know it!
Reply 13
And we should just leave other countries too which have dictators and tyrants??

Well, yes, unless there is an uprising asking for support, we can't intervene really. If the majority of the citizens in the country are getting on with their lifes it's a different story, unlike Libya...
Reply 14

:facepalm2:

You just can't compare China with Libya, on many levels.

China has a veto on the UN security council, tis quite simple. I can hardly see them supporting a resolution to allow action against themselves
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16

Libya is in a much worse situation then China.

China's regime is what has made the country so successful recently.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17

Last I heard, China wasn't in open civil war against a very large fraction of its population.

Not that I support the Chinese regime in any way - if regime change there was actually possible then I would support it.
Original post by Aj12

But you are a dolt.

Write this down.

You are the dolt.
They do.
Just its not as documented as what is currently happening in the Middle East...
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Surely even you want Gaddafi out, even the Arab league is backing military intervention and the no fly-zone, the only people that seem to be supporting him are him, his family and the 'Pro Gaddafi supporter' civilians in Libya which I highly suspect are just puppets payed to show their support in public

Sure some people do still support him (like.. why) but yeah, 99% want him out tbh, it's completely justified and morally right to out him because he's a tyrant, uses disproportional military force on his own people, kills civilians etc - There are so many good reasons to intervene

You really believe that the majority want him "out"?? British news is highly inaccurate.

You must also realize that Libya has one of the best healthcare systems in African and many other modernizations in the continent - though Gaddafi may be "bad", the country has actually benefited from him - more than can be said of Zimbabwe from Mugabe for example.

I believe that as Britain has gone and done this, we should not constantly "save" the world and "help" those in need and further overstretch our armed forces.

By chance, (I forget) - did the Iraqi people call for our help too? (If they did - my, how they must be kicking themselves now...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending