The Student Room Group

Help! Failed module... will I still get my First Class Honours?

Hey everyone,

I'm a Coventry University student who was aiming for that First Class Honours degree, but things just took a bad turn. I recently failed my 20-credit networking module, and it's got me seriously down in the dumps.

Up until now, I was doing pretty well! I've pulled off 70+ and even an 80 in other 4 modules for this semester. Even last semester, I mostly scored 65+ and a 70+ in those 20-credit chunks. I was really feeling confident.

Now, I have a module resit coming up, but the marks are capped at 40. I'm trying to stay positive, but here's what I need to know:

Is getting a First Class Honours totally off the table now?
If there's still a chance, what do I need to do?
I've always been a decent student, passionate about my course, but I messed up on the practical exam for this particular module.

Any advice or words of encouragement would be a lifesaver right now. Thanks so much!
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
might be off the table, might not. you'll need to calculate what your overall percentage will be with a 40% capped grade in that module - if you're still over 70% then you'll still get a First

edit: very rough calculation assuming its 120 credits a year, you'll need to average 76% in your other 100 credits to stay over 70% overall. and by the way - you dont need to get a first class degree to do well; an upper 2.1 is still very well regarded and you can put your percentage on your cv to make it clear to employers
(edited 1 month ago)
80 + 40 + 71 +73 +70 = 334 and divided by 5 module will be 66.8. I guess the first class degree is off table or can i recover it from my third year result. But is the honors degree still on table or not? Thank you
You need to know what weighting is given to year 2 and 3 as well as the module credits.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #1
80 + 40 + 71 +73 +70 = 334 and divided by 5 module will be 66.8. I guess the first class degree is off table or can i recover it from my third year result. But is the honors degree still on table or not? Thank you
not just based on the number of modules youre sitting, remember to take into account how many credits each module is worth too
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
You need to know what weighting is given to year 2 and 3 as well as the module credits.
Is there somewhere I can look for it or should I contact the university?
Reply 6
Original post by Pedr0
not just based on the number of modules youre sitting, remember to take into account how many credits each module is worth too
so that would mean 20 credits will account much more than that of 10 credits. Its not just based on numbers? That would been i am screwed cause every other modules were of 10 credits and the one i failed was of 20.
Reply 7
Original post by Avi_d
so that would mean 20 credits will account much more than that of 10 credits. Its not just based on numbers? That would been i am screwed cause every other modules were of 10 credits and the one i failed was of 20.
well yeah it's simple maths

for each module:
percentage x number of credits
add them all together
divide by total number of credits in the year
there's your overall percentage

I don't know what course you're doing or what mark you got in what module so I can't do the calculation for you but it's easy enough
Reply 8
That would be sixty-five percentage. And also, have i screwed my honors tittle on the degree on not? That remained unanswered.
Reply 9
Original post by Avi_d
That would be sixty-five percentage. And also, have i screwed my honors tittle on the degree on not? That remained unanswered.
still an honours degree. you will receive second class honours upper division if 60-70%, second class honours lower division if 50-60%, third class honours if 40-50%
Reply 10
Original post by Pedr0
still an honours degree. you will receive second class honours upper division if 60-70%, second class honours lower division if 50-60%, third class honours if 40-50%
Thank you so much for your help. Really Appreciate it.
Original post by Avi_d
Is there somewhere I can look for it or should I contact the university?
It should be in your student handbook. Your academic department can advise if you can’t find it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending