The Student Room Group

Very lazy coworker increased my work load

I've been working at a cafe/restaurant for 2 months and have noticed that one of my coworker are very lazy and slow which means my works load increases and I need to do extra work in order to make up for their slack. I've talked to other coworkers and they have said the same thing, they've also warned me not to pick up after his mess bcs then this will enable and encourage his behavior. The thing is the one time I decided not to do his work at all the tables ended up being super messy and dirty leading to angry customers and the manager saying that the cafe would attract rodents. This coworker literally actively avoids doing work, when he has to clear the tables he just wipes down the already clean tables and leave the tables loaded with rubbish for the next worker which piles up, when he's on food run he ignores the food and let's it go cold so that another worker has to quickly jump in and do it, when's he's on potwssh he picks up one cutlery/cup at a time so that again another worker us Is sent to 'help' him which ends up turning into them completely doing his work as well as their own, when the worker is sent to help him he just stops doing his work and stands there trying to have a chat. I'm 16 and he's 50 so I can't do potwssh alone bcs of store policy yet whenever I do potwwash he Just stands there and watches me work or he just walks out and leaves me to do it all by myself. Also this worker doesn't know what personal space is, sometimes when I'm working he stands really close to me that I can literally feel his breath, one time he was so close o me (even though I gave him lots of space) that when I turned around my face almost pressed again his, our lips almost touched! Disgusting. The manager and other colleagues have noticed he's slow and that I'm really fast, because of this impression I've given of a hardworkinf dedicated worker I'm expected to do 2 jobs at once in order to make up for my colleagues incompetence. I've only worked here for 2 months whereas he's worked there for years so I'm not in a good positions to complain and I don't want to appear as a toxic 2 faced coworker but I can't carry on working like this, every time I go to work I have to run around like a headless chicken doing my work and picking up the tasks he failed to do, at the end of each shift my hands are literally locked together) Should I start just matching his pace? Because if we're getting paid the same I might as well just put in the same effort as him and let all hell get loose I'm so sick if this, I thought people left this laziness in secondary school but j gusse I was severely wrong

Sorry for the long post I just really need to rant, I've had this problem for a long time and it's having a bad impact on me
(edited 8 months ago)
It sounds like you're facing a challenging situation at your workplace, and I understand your frustration. Dealing with a coworker who is not pulling their weight can be frustrating, especially when it affects your workload and the overall functioning of the cafe/restaurant.

Before deciding to match your coworker's pace or potentially lowering your own standards, consider a few steps:

Document the Issues: Keep a record of specific instances where your coworker's behavior is affecting the team's performance and the cafe's operations. This could be helpful if you need to address the issue with management.

Talk to Your Manager: When you feel comfortable, have a conversation with your manager about your observations and concerns. Explain the challenges you're facing due to your coworker's behavior and how it's impacting your ability to work effectively. Be sure to provide specific examples to illustrate your points.

Focus on Your Work: Continue to prioritize your tasks and responsibilities. It's important to maintain your work ethic and dedication, regardless of the actions of others. This will reflect well on you in the long run and show that you're committed to the team's success.

Seek Advice: You mentioned that other coworkers have noticed similar issues. If you have a good rapport with any of them, consider discussing the situation with them for advice and support.

Stay Professional: While it might be tempting to match your coworker's pace out of frustration, remember that maintaining your professionalism and strong work ethic will benefit you in the long run. Acting unprofessionally could potentially have negative consequences for your own reputation.

Give It Time: Sometimes, situations like this can improve over time. If management becomes aware of the issue, they might take steps to address it.

Ultimately, the decision to match your coworker's pace or not should be carefully considered. Instead of lowering your own standards, try to find a balance between addressing the problem and maintaining your professionalism. It's essential to communicate with your manager and see if they can address the situation appropriately. Remember, you deserve a work environment where everyone contributes to the team's success, and your concerns should be taken seriously.
Original post by jenifertrumpmaga
It sounds like you're facing a challenging situation at your workplace, and I understand your frustration. Dealing with a coworker who is not pulling their weight can be frustrating, especially when it affects your workload and the overall functioning of the cafe/restaurant.

Before deciding to match your coworker's pace or potentially lowering your own standards, consider a few steps:

Document the Issues: Keep a record of specific instances where your coworker's behavior is affecting the team's performance and the cafe's operations. This could be helpful if you need to address the issue with management.

Talk to Your Manager: When you feel comfortable, have a conversation with your manager about your observations and concerns. Explain the challenges you're facing due to your coworker's behavior and how it's impacting your ability to work effectively. Be sure to provide specific examples to illustrate your points.

Focus on Your Work: Continue to prioritize your tasks and responsibilities. It's important to maintain your work ethic and dedication, regardless of the actions of others. This will reflect well on you in the long run and show that you're committed to the team's success.

Seek Advice: You mentioned that other coworkers have noticed similar issues. If you have a good rapport with any of them, consider discussing the situation with them for advice and support.

Stay Professional: While it might be tempting to match your coworker's pace out of frustration, remember that maintaining your professionalism and strong work ethic will benefit you in the long run. Acting unprofessionally could potentially have negative consequences for your own reputation.

Give It Time: Sometimes, situations like this can improve over time. If management becomes aware of the issue, they might take steps to address it.

Ultimately, the decision to match your coworker's pace or not should be carefully considered. Instead of lowering your own standards, try to find a balance between addressing the problem and maintaining your professionalism. It's essential to communicate with your manager and see if they can address the situation appropriately. Remember, you deserve a work environment where everyone contributes to the team's success, and your concerns should be taken seriously.

That's true thanks for your reply its really helpful 👍
Reply 3
Original post by Rushdis
That's true thanks for your reply its really helpful 👍

Good advice from above. Ultimately, this person needs reporting but equally, it sounds like your manager is pretty lame if they haven't picked up on things or done anything about it. Maybe they don't have the skills to instigate a difficult conversation with this person?
Original post by hotpud
Good advice from above. Ultimately, this person needs reporting but equally, it sounds like your manager is pretty lame if they haven't picked up on things or done anything about it. Maybe they don't have the skills to instigate a difficult conversation with this person?

Yh maybe, but tbf I haven't specifically told my manager all of this (on the post) bcs I'm too nervous, I'm not sure how to say that this worker slacks off without seeming rude especially since he's been here for years and I've only been here for 2 months, I'm also on probation period
Original post by hotpud

Yeah kinda agree with this

In many cases I'd say you need to stand up to the employee putting you in this position, but the way the manager is just letting this go despite everyone else seemingly being aware is a big red flag about working there, they're obv on the ball enough to chew you out when things aren't done, do they can't claim ignorance.

If the owners/management are willing to take the hit of this worthless worker to their bottom line, rep and staff retention, then they won't make any changes for your sake. It will prob turn out this guy is related/involved with someone/knows where bodies are buried/sells the drugs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending