The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cadaeibfeceh

Original post by cadaeibfeceh
I dunno, are there really any good, serious roles being written for a man his age any more, especially ones which would get funding?

It's not a case of there being good serious roles (which there are), but at least picking roles which aren't degrading or acting well in bad films. Look at Anthony Hopkins - he is routinely in bad films, and he's consistently the best thing about them.

Actors around his age like Nicholson, Gambon, McKellen, Kingsely, O'Toole, even Hoffman are still producing good work. It's a complete non-argument to pretend he's doing the best with what he's got, and insulting to give him a free ride the way the industry is.
Original post by The Cornerstone
Interesting, but I'm not sure where to find it, do you have a link or something?

"I hate the awards part of the moviemaking process," he continued. "And besides, on Social Network, I didn't really agree with the critics' praise. It interested me that Social Network was about friendships that dissolved through this thing that promised friendships, but I didn't think we were ripping the lid off anything. The movie is true to a time and a kind of person, but I was never trying to turn a mirror on a generation." [...]

"Let's hope we strove to get at something interesting, but Social Network is not earth-shattering. Zodiac was about murders that changed America. After the Zodiac killings in California, the Summer of Love was over. Suddenly, there was no more weed or pussy. People were hog-tied and died. No one died during the creation of Facebook. By my estimation, the person who made out the worst in the creation of Facebook still made more than 30 million dollars. And no one was killed."

Fincher himself, generally agree with him on TSN

Finchers' wikipedia page is an interesting read... got some possibly good projects coming up
Reply 202
What are the first two names that cone into your head when you're asked "who are the greatest actor and actress of all time"?

For me. Maggie Smith and Tom Hanks.
Original post by aja89

Original post by aja89
What are the first two names that cone into your head when you're asked "who are the greatest actor and actress of all time"?

Meryl Streep and Jack Nicholson.
Original post by aja89

Humphrey Bogart/Charlton heston/Robert De Niro, maybe Audrey Hepburn
Reply 205
Original post by aja89

Meryl Streep, and then I get a bit confused. So many names persistently doing their best to crowd out the others.

It's sad, really. I mentioned this in the first thread as well, how I don't really know many good actresses (though it's better than before). It makes me feel sexist. :frown:

EDIT: On another note, I'm sitting down to watch The Butterfly Effect now. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 206
Original post by Abiraleft
Meryl Streep, and then I get a bit confused. So many names persistently doing their best to crowd out the others.

It's sad, really. I mentioned this in the first thread as well, how I don't really know many good actresses (though it's better than before). It makes me feel sexist. :frown:

EDIT: On another note, I'm sitting down to watch The Butterfly Effect now. :smile:

I don't think it's sexism. When you think 'greatest female actress evar', it's generally either Streep or someone from the Golden Age; Hepburn, Hepburn, Bergman, Kelly, etc. Could be to do with the popularization of method acting; for some reason, there don't seem to be nearly as many famous lady method actors as there are famous dude method actors.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 207
It's funny that you say that, because I'm the complete opposite. I'm all about the great female actresses and know very little past the obvious about the male actors.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
You've given this a lot of thought, Phalanges. :tongue:

Not really, something I've found myself doing lately is picturing what I'm reading cinematically. It happened ever since I read Survivor, which is probably the most filmable book I've ever read.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I like your take on the book. Straying away from your medicine course/career very slowly but surely. :colone:

What do you think of the format with films and TV series filling in the gaps? All in all, I don't think the real deal will turn out well at all. There are so many awful parts in the later books that should just be omitted and skipped altogether.

Howard needs to realise he shouldn't opt for a direct adaptation of the films, but a different take or version. A direct adaptation will fail, undoubtedly or just not translate well into the screen - no matter how well he tries to do it. And how they're going to approach the material itself is beyond me, there is so much insane stuff that goes on in the books - some of it is beyond the talent of someone like Ron Howard to translate to screen successfully, in my opinion.

Curious to hear your (future) thoughts on the ending of the series but you have a long way to go, just like Roland. :moon: Man, I want to say something that I think is a good idea for the films but can't. :colonhash: :tongue:

As long as they don't cast Shia Laboeuf :teehee:

Yeah, you have to bear in mind that I've only read one book so my thoughts are very much a work in progress. I've got to wait for the library to order in Drawing of the Three now. :sad: Also I read the original edition rather than the revised one, so my uncompromising approach is a reflection of the inaccessibility of the original work, which I gather has since been made more readable.

I don't really think I'm qualified to comment on the TV/film concept, because I gather that they are going to be making it on multiple book rather than one film/TV series per book, which I have no idea how it will work because I have no idea how tonally similar or narratively cohesive they are.

I don't think there would need to be too much of a reimagining of the novel, aside from the things that must happen in all translations in the cutting of unimportant scenes and the visual stylings. But at least in the first book the story is a pretty solid structure, so there doesn't need to be too much messed around with it. I would question whether Ron Howard is the right man for it for completely the opposite reason to you - he's pretty notorious at dumbing down stories he adapts, and I don't want to see a film which explains the premise to you without retaining any of the mystery of the original.

I don't think I'll be leaving medicine any time soon to go off and direct though, I'm happy to think I know best without ever finding out if I could actually do it. :p:
Original post by Abiraleft

I think the industry is just inherently sexist, tbh. There simply aren't as many good female roles written as male, and the career of an actress is so much shorter than that of an actor.

Only one female-directed film has ever won an Oscar for best picture, and the only female-focused film I can remember winning the main award was Chicago. Compare that to the amount of male-dominated films winning and doing well.

Been looking forward to this since I first heard about it at Sundance.
Reply 211
Original post by Phalanges
I think the industry is just inherently sexist, tbh. There simply aren't as many good female roles written as male, and the career of an actress is so much shorter than that of an actor.

Only one female-directed film has ever won an Oscar for best picture, and the only female-focused film I can remember winning the main award was Chicago. Compare that to the amount of male-dominated films winning and doing well.

Have you heard of the Bechdel test? It was started just to show how male-dominated the film industry is. To pass the test, the film must have at least 2 named female characters who talk to each other about something other than a man.
http://bechdeltest.com/
Original post by Phalanges

Been looking forward to this since I first heard about it at Sundance.

Nicholas Cage should really be in said film
Just watched A Single Man. I must say I wasn't that impressed with the storyline and characters, and it was a bit over-stylised for my liking. Colin Firth was really good though, and actually Nicholas Hoult was better than I was expecting... Overall I didn't mind the film, there was just something a bit off.

What are people's opinions on it?
The dialogue in Tarantino films is just ...
anyone seen valhalla rising? just watched it.

like....wtf......
Reply 216
Just got four free tickets for suckerpunch on 31st March from IGN screenings. Looking forward to this. Only a day before but free so meh. It's one of them group ones. May have 1 or 2 spots for free for anyone who is close to Sherperds Bush. Depends on if any of my mates can't go.

Finally watched Amelie, it's brilliant. First french movie I actually watched. Downloaded Le diner de Cons now. I hope Dinner for Schmuks didn't use most of it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
The dialogue in Tarantino films is just ...

... full of dramatic pauses like that, yeah I've noticed
Original post by kaygee
did anyone know that there is a William and Kate Movie coming out in the US?

I heard about this. It looks utterly awful.

Original post by Pi!
Have you heard of the Bechdel test? It was started just to show how male-dominated the film industry is. To pass the test, the film must have at least 2 named female characters who talk to each other about something other than a man.
http://bechdeltest.com/

Yeah I have, although I think you're being a little disingenuous in it's origins. :p: It was originally a joke in a comic to enable a character to get out of going to the cinema.

I think it's an interesting experiment (although appearances can be deceptive; for example Kill Bill doesn't pass the test) but it's ongoing presence can compound the problem rather than alleviate it. It would be easy to pass if you shoehorn in a scene between two characters, and yet this doesn't attack the root of the problem of integral female characters.

Quick Reply

Latest