The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2010-11

Scroll to see replies

Just submitted mine.
Reading through it again last night made me panic. The more I read it, the more I felt like it was all rubbish.
However, time was running out and there was no way I could redo everything. So, I have got it bound this morning and handed it in.
What will be will be. :smile:
Original post by ApexPredator
That was the case for me also. I was happy with everything but the discussion. The results from my study weren't very good (due to it being poorly designed) so it made writing my discussion a nightmare. I'd had feedback on everything except the discussion which only adds to my worries about it. In the end, I just did the best I could and submitted it. Looking back now, I'm worried that the discussion will bring down my overall mark considerably.

I'll just have to wait and see...

its a worry my results are ok, the trouble is they lead to very little to talk about about, its like the distances of the h-bond does this, and the angle of rotation affects in this way, its leads to not alot to say and very little sources to back it up

600 more words than i am done, it's due in thrsuday, hoping to get it printed by tomorrow
feels good man, handed in the lot
could be used in a published paper
time to forget about it till the presentation on the dissertation next term
i'm really jealous of everyone who's handing it in. i'm going to see my supervisor tomorrow with some chaper ideas. i'm thinking in a 10000 word diss i'll do about 4 chapers, does that sound about right?
Original post by miranda13
i'm really jealous of everyone who's handing it in. i'm going to see my supervisor tomorrow with some chaper ideas. i'm thinking in a 10000 word diss i'll do about 4 chapers, does that sound about right?

I have five, and a separate 2,000 words worth of introduction and conclusion sections. I hadn't split it into chapters, until my supervisor suggested that it was possible, for a 10,000 word piece of work.

Splitting it up makes it so much easier and quicker to write. :biggrin: Plus it gives a more thorough treatment of the topic, looking at a good few different aspects of it.
I'm writing my introduction last, I don't know if this is a good idea or not but hey ho. I've spent nearly a year looking at this topic and I do still find it interesting, but it's getting to the point now where I just want it done and dusted to be honest. The research is all fine & dandy, but it's putting everything together, being selective with references, making my argument clear, etc which makes my head hurt. :headhurts:
Original post by mamooshka
I'm writing my introduction last, I don't know if this is a good idea or not but hey ho. I've spent nearly a year looking at this topic and I do still find it interesting, but it's getting to the point now where I just want it done and dusted to be honest. The research is all fine & dandy, but it's putting everything together, being selective with references, making my argument clear, etc which makes my head hurt. :headhurts:

I wrote my introduction last too. Most of our supervisors said that's actually the best way to do it because you then know more about your topic and what you were trying to do in the first place.

I hand mine in in 2 weeks. Nearly finished typing up the 2nd draft, then I have to reference it and make a few changes. Not sure whether to get it bound or not.
Reply 247
I wrote my introduction first (in fact, wrote the entire thing chronologically, heh), but went back at the end and edited it in light of how the diss actually panned out.

Tbh, I don't even remember writing it, Christmas is just this black void in my mind.
Original post by Fjarskafinn
I have five, and a separate 2,000 words worth of introduction and conclusion sections. I hadn't split it into chapters, until my supervisor suggested that it was possible, for a 10,000 word piece of work.

Splitting it up makes it so much easier and quicker to write. :biggrin: Plus it gives a more thorough treatment of the topic, looking at a good few different aspects of it.

ahh ok thanks, i thought the chapters would be longer than that but i guess that's the point of breaking it up. i'll come up with a couple more ideas for tomorrow. i'm really tired now and can't be bothered but i'll regret it tomorrow if i don't

It depends. 4 is the standard for 10,000. Mine ended up being 15,134 with 4 chapters, an extra chapter was not really feasible because each was dealing with a specific section in a time period, and I did not need another one. You should start a new chapter if you are dealing with a radically different change in the time period- or during or after an event (if you're going chronologically) or if you're dealing with a new perspective if going thematically. You should not present with 2 or 10 chapters. 3-5 is perfect, above or below is a bit dangerous.
Reply 250
ooooooooooooo i've lost weight due to this dissertation ....ok ok i'm lying i haven't lost wait but i'm on the verge of loosing weight.....luckily ours is due in in may but i don't want to do this over our easter break because i need time to revise for my exams.....i've done 5k words ....but my methodology is proving very tricky damn econometrics...ok rant over -_-

back to my all nighter ...when will it all end....

pluss we have a dissertation presentation as well as all the other modules tests/essays...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 251
Original post by jus-mi
ooooooooooooo i've lost weight due to this dissertation ....ok ok i'm lying i haven't lost wait but i'm on the verge of loosing weight.....luckily ours is due in in may but i don't want to do this over our easter break because i need time to revise for my exams.....i've done 5k words ....but my methodology is proving very tricky damn econometrics...ok rant over -_-

back to my all nighter ...when will it all end....

pluss we have a dissertation presentation as well as all the other modules tests/essays...

I am so glad I didn't have any econometrics in my diss.

It is up to you.
I had three chapters of between 2,300 - 2,800 words. Then a smaller chapters for my introduction and conclusion. :smile:

I wrote my 3 main chapters chronologically. Then the introduction and then my conclusion. :smile:
Reply 253
Original post by chidona
I am so glad I didn't have any econometrics in my diss.

aww lucky....the module convener literally told us it would be difficult to get a good mark without any econometrics! so we had no choice ...however i do know one girl who isn't doing any econometrics in her diss....
Reply 254

Mine was 12k, with 4 main chapters (2 for intro and conclusion added up to just under 1k words); chapter size varied from nearly 4k - 2k. Depends on what each chapter is for, really!

@jus-mi, yeah, we were told not to use econometrics if it wasn't appropriate, rather than shoe horn them in. And my supervisor is the head of the undergrad degree (or marking, I forget which), so I'm hopin' for that to be true! I'm **** at econometrics =/
Reply 255
I know this is so weird and random but i am hell scared of it now that i have to submit it on monday :frown:

When i open my word document it says the file name and then it says [Compatibility Mode] - Microsoft Word non - commercial use.

what does that mean and why is it in compatibility mode??
Original post by Anniee1
I know this is so weird and random but i am hell scared of it now that i have to submit it on monday :frown:

When i open my word document it says the file name and then it says [Compatibility Mode] - Microsoft Word non - commercial use.

what does that mean and why is it in compatibility mode??

It just means that the file you opened was created in an earlier version of Word. It'll be fine.
Reply 257
Original post by Fjarskafinn
It just means that the file you opened was created in an earlier version of Word. It'll be fine.

Gosh that scared the hell outta me.
Using and opening different versions of Word can mess up formatting- font size/style and especially bibliography since that's tabbed. Happens often when people use college computers to print and have to frantically reformat everything at the last minute. So this might not happen and it might show up perfect but allow yourself plenty of time if printing from a word you know is different! Good idea to save in a few formats too, just in case.
You should save it in PDF when you have your final version. THat way the format will be unique, and there will be no problems when it's time to print, or if you need to send anything to anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending