The Student Room Group

displacement time graph

can anyone tell me where to find, or just explain the shape of displacement time graph for a bouncing ball

Our teacher is awful and we don't trust the graph he drew

Reply 1

Displacement is less each time the ball bounces as its initial energy is lost to its surroundings i.e. heat energy due to friction with the ground.

Some other graphs may show the ball bouncing back up to its original height in a "perfect world" where no energy is lost to its surroundings and the energy in the ball is conserved throughout each bounce.
Reply 2
Original post by Vulpes

Displacement is less each time the ball bounces as its initial energy is lost to its surroundings i.e. heat energy due to friction with the ground.

Some other graphs may show the ball bouncing back up to its original height in a "perfect world" where no energy is lost to its surroundings and the energy in the ball is conserved throughout each bounce.

Surely the displacement should start at zero?
Reply 3
Original post by Beth_L_G
Surely the displacement should start at zero?

Displacement between the ball and the ground. Not from the starting point of the motion.
Reply 4
Original post by Vulpes
Displacement between the ball and the ground. Not from the starting point of the motion.

i should have specified in the question

sorry :smile:

I'm looking to see what it looks like if you take your starting point as zero displacement
Reply 5
Original post by Beth_L_G
i should have specified in the question

sorry :smile:

I'm looking to see what it looks like if you take your starting point as zero displacement

weird question but it'll look like:

gimme a sec... weird output./

/

GOT ITTT ^
(edited 13 years ago)
It would look exactly the same as in the graph posted but with the horizontal axis moved up to the starting point at A.
The vertical axis is then labelled downwards as zero, -0.5, -1.0, -1.5m

This takes the starting point to be at zero displacement, and the downwards direction as negative.
Reply 7
Original post by Stonebridge
It would look exactly the same as in the graph posted but with the horizontal axis moved up to the starting point at A.
The vertical axis is then labelled downwards as zero, -0.5, -1.0, -1.5m

This takes the starting point to be at zero displacement, and the downwards direction as negative.

Thanks

i got in a huge argument with my teacher because i told him that and tried to explain to him why and he just couldn't understand

just asked on here to make sure i was right and wasn't just embarassing myself :L

Thank you for your help!
Reply 8
Added the graph in my previous post =P Taking the downward vector as positive.

Quick Reply

Latest