The Student Room Group

Edexcel M1 ex2D Question 11b

A motorcyclist M leaves road junction at time t=0. she accelerates at 3(ms)-2 for eight seconds and maintains the speed. A car C leaves same road junction as M at t=0. The car accelerates from rest to 30(ms-1) in 20 seconds and maintains the speed. C passes M as they both pass a pedestrian.

a) on same diagram draw a speed-time graph

b) find the distance of pedestrian from road junction

I have done part a, but i'm not too sure how to do part b, do i have to find the time M and C passes the pedestrian then work out the distance?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jonehim
A motorcyclist M leaves road junction at time t=0. she accelerates at 3(ms)-2 for eight seconds and maintains the speed. A car C leaves same road junction as M at t=0. The car accelerates from rest to 30(ms-1) in 20 seconds and maintains the speed. C passes M as they both pass a pedestrian.

a) on same diagram draw a speed-time graph

b) find the distance of pedestrian from road junction

I have done part a, but i'm not too sure how to do part b, do i have to find the time M and C passes the pedestrian then work out the distance?

Work out at what time C passes M. Then work out the displacement of either C or M at this time: this will be the displacement of the pedestrian
Reply 2
do both vehicles start with velocity zero at the junction ?

:bear:
Reply 3
yeah they do start at 0
Reply 4
Original post by TheMagicMan
Work out at what time C passes M. Then work out the displacement of either C or M at this time: this will be the displacement of the pedestrian

i tried but I'm still getting the wrong answer, is t= 16?
Reply 5
I get t=20 I think.

To do it with working: write down an expression for the displacements of C and M in terms of t, then equate these for t.

do you use the formula S=ut-1/2at^2 for both C and M and then equate them in terms of t
Reply 6
i got t=20 but when i try to find the displacement I got 480, the answer is 720, i don't get where I when wrong??
Reply 7
I get the displacement as 300 at t=20.. are you sure you've got the whole question written down?

yeah I'm sure I have
Original post by jonehim
yeah I'm sure I have

My mental maths failed completely I just realised.

The book is right. Try to do it by equating the suvats and working out a value for t

Spoiler

Reply 9
for M
u=0
v=24
a=3

for C
u=0
v=24
a=1.5
I got s=720

But then again I got t=34
Reply 11
I'm trying to get t=34 but i can't seem to get it
Original post by TenOfThem
I got s=720

But then again I got t=34

You are right. I realised that I did something really stupid in my mental maths which didn't help at all
For M

s = 96 + 24(t-8)

Do you know why and if so can you make a similar s for C
Reply 14
how do you get t=34?
Reply 15
Original post by TenOfThem
For M

s = 96 + 24(t-8)

Do you know why and if so can you make a similar s for C

i know, but where did you get your 96 from??
12382\frac{1}{2}* 3 * 8^2
Reply 17
how do you get the equation for C?
Original post by jonehim
how do you get the equation for C?

Do you understand how I got the equation for M

If so the equation for C is found using the same idea

s = s(first part of motion) + s(second type of motion)
Lol wut? I got t=18.92... Displacement = 358.08

Quick Reply

Latest