The Student Room Group

Help mechanicsss

Help I don’t get how to do part b… I jotted the ms in black pen so that’s correct answer… some one plz explainIMG_2509.jpeg
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Displacement is the area "under" the velocity - time graph. Obviously the area is signed.
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Displacement is the area "under" the velocity - time graph. Obviously the area is signed.

Huh?? I don’t get this I’m asking about part b it’s says distance
Reply 3
It does, there is no difference for this question part.
Reply 4
Original post by Alevelhelp.1
Huh?? I don’t get this I’m asking about part b it’s says distance

When velocity is +ve (above the axis), imagine the train is going "forwards" - away from A. So how far is it from A at the end of that part of the motion? Now think about the -ve section of the graph. The train is now going in the opposite direction. So how far "backwards" does it go, and hence how far is the front from A at the end of the overall time period?
Reply 5
Might be worth noting that the word "distance" doesn't always mean distance, the scalar quantity. You do really need to read the whole question prompt to see what's really been asked.

In this context, it is asking the distance between the starting point and the train, so really it's the displacement that's been asked.
As a comparison, the distance traveled by the train would be the scalar quantity.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest