The Student Room Group

Physics question help please?

An oarsman rows a boat across a river aiming for a point on the other bank directly opposite his starting point and 40m away. He rows at a velocity of 2ms^-1 towards the point, but finds that he reaches the other bank 10m downstream from the intended target. Sketch a vector diagram for his journey and calculate the velocity of the boat between the start and finish points.

I worked out the displacement which is 41.2m . Then could you do average speed=distance/time so 2ms^-1=40/t which means the time is 20 seconds. So would it also take 20seconds for the displacement? So velocity=displacement/time , v= 41.2/20

So the velocity is 2.06ms^-1???
Can you show us your vector diagram?
is that true, bc that's what i got
Original post by Megan_101
An oarsman rows a boat across a river aiming for a point on the other bank directly opposite his starting point and 40m away. He rows at a velocity of 2ms^-1 towards the point, but finds that he reaches the other bank 10m downstream from the intended target. Sketch a vector diagram for his journey and calculate the velocity of the boat between the start and finish points.

I worked out the displacement which is 41.2m . Then could you do average speed=distance/time so 2ms^-1=40/t which means the time is 20 seconds. So would it also take 20seconds for the displacement? So velocity=displacement/time , v= 41.2/20

So the velocity is 2.06ms^-1???

If your answer is incorrect then this is why: You are assuming he rows at the same velocity even when being pushed by the stream. His velocity doesn’t stay constant when moving towards the point as the stream opposes his motion. Find the component of velocity towards his actual final point. The vector triangle for velocity will have the same angles as the displacement one you drew but the sides will be scaled down.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest