The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Cameron's going after 60 FPS in the next Avatar films :holmes:

They will look ****ing gorgeous.
Original post by Madjackismad
Going to watch The Shining first. Should I watch A Clockwork Orange after it or Dr Strangelove? :awesome:

All epic choices! I'd personally follow it with A Clockwork Orange, but it really depends on your mood - both are awesome films. But you already knew that.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

Going to watch The Shining first. Should I watch A Clockwork Orange after it or Dr Strangelove? :awesome:

I absolutely adore Dr Strangelove. I haven't seen A Clockwork Orange, but I've read the book so clearly I'm more highbrow and stuff :pierre:
Original post by Jace Falco
I absolutely adore Dr Strangelove. I haven't seen A Clockwork Orange, but I've read the book so clearly I'm more highbrow and stuff :pierre:

I've read the book of A Clockwork Orange as well, so shove off and go read Preacher while I read Finnegans Wake. :pierre:
Original post by mimimimi
All epic choices! I'd personally follow it with A Clockwork Orange, but it really depends on your mood - both are awesome films. But you already knew that.

I've seen Kubrick's films many times, so it doesn't really matter what I go and watch. :p: I don't have time to watch them tonight though, I have plans. Damn. :emo:

But I might be seeing Source Code tonight. :awesome:
Reply 605
I've seen Kubrick's films many times, so it doesn't really matter what I go and watch. :p: I don't have time to watch them tonight though, I have plans. Damn. :emo:

It's been getting unexpectedly good reviews. I've always had a soft spot for Jake since Donnie Darko.
Original post by channy
It's been getting unexpectedly good reviews. I've always had a soft spot for Jake since Donnie Darko.

It's Duncan Jones, he proved he was a great director with Moon. Apparently the film isn't as 'low-brow' as some made it out to be when the first trailer hit. :beard:
Reply 607
I've read the book of A Clockwork Orange as well, so shove off and go read Preacher while I read Finnegans Wake. :pierre:

I have to read that soon. Any tips? My attempts to read it casually have all been thwarted by not really trying hard enough.
Reply 608
It's Duncan Jones, he proved he was a great director with Moon. Apparently the film isn't as 'low-brow' as some made it out to be when the first trailer hit. :beard:

Hmmm, Moon was excellent, my only gripe is the ending.

Spoiler

Original post by Christien
I have to read that soon. Any tips? My attempts to read it casually have all been thwarted by not really trying hard enough.

Hahah, no, I got like 10 pages into it and then I was like 'JOYCE, U MAD :awesome:' and gave up. I suppose you just need to go with the flow in the first reading (just like Ulysses) and then consult analysis and annotations after your first reading.
Original post by channy
Hmmm, Moon was excellent, my only gripe is the ending.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 611
Hahah, no, I got like 10 pages into it and then I was like 'JOYCE, U MAD :awesome:' and gave up. I suppose you just need to go with the flow in the first reading (just like Ulysses) and then consult analysis and that.

I dunno, every chapter in Ulysses was stylistically different enough that if you didn't like one part, you could just slog through it and get to something you prefer. Everyone who bothers to finish it seems to like different chapters :yeah:

But Finnegan's Wake, from the limited amount I've read, just seems to be a steady stream of impenetrable nonsense. :nothing:
Reply 612

Spoiler

Spoiler

I love Kubrick :biggrin: Shame you won't have time to watch them tonight!

Think I'm going to re-watch Office Space tonight, haven't watched it in a while and I remember thoroughly enjoying it before...
Original post by Christien
I dunno, every chapter in Ulysses was stylistically different enough that if you didn't like one part, you could just slog through it and get to something you prefer. Everyone who bothers to finish it seems to like different chapters :yeah:

But Finnegan's Wake, from the limited amount I've read, just seems to be a steady stream of impenetrable nonsense. :nothing:

Finnegans Wake is supposed to be a dream, I think. It takes place over a single night.

I've finished Preacher, and I'm too busy with police training to read much, so shove off and go read whatever while I keep society safe :pierre:
Original post by Jace Falco
I've finished Preacher, and I'm too busy with police training to read much, so shove off and go read whatever while I keep society safe :pierre:

You shove off. I hope you drop your baton on your foot. :colonhash:
You shove off. I hope you drop your baton on your foot. :colonhash:

You do realise that, even if I were as uncoordinated as you, it would just bounce off my incredibly sturdy boots? :h:
Reply 618
Just finished with Animal Kingdom. I really liked it; even though the overarching theme seems somewhat clichéd, there are lots of unexpected parts to keep one interested.
Original post by Abiraleft
Just finished with Animal Kingdom. I really liked it; even though the overarching theme seems somewhat clichéd, there are lots of unexpected parts to keep one interested.

Hear good things about it, seems a good watch. quite like films set in Australia as well

Quick Reply

Latest