The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abiraleft

Have you realized that every time someone says that, Serenity wins? :holmes: And until when is the poll open? Last time I checked, the vote proportion was something like 53-47, so I think Blade Runner may still have a chance...

It lost.

By nearly 2,000 votes.

Now it's time to see which fan base is stronger; Star Wars or Serenity.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 681
hahahahahahahhah

:'~(
Reply 682
Is Serenity worth a watch, then? :holmes:
After you've watched all episodes of Firefly.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
It lost.

By nearly 2,000 votes.

Now it's time to see which fan base is stronger; Star Wars or Serenity.

Is that even a viable question :indiff: well I guess it could be, but that's so onesided imo that it's laughable
Jason Statham and Dwayne Johnson need to star in the same film. I could imagine the banter and witty dialogue between them, action film, maybe a buddy cop thing
So we're into April, lets take a look at notable releases this month.

Sucker Punch, Insidious, Source Code, Your Highness, Scream 4, Atlas Shrugged: Part I, Water for Elephants and Fast Five.

Only 4 on that list I'm interested in.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 687
I used to have like 14k posts on a SW forum :colondollar: And I wasn't even in the upper echelons of SW nerds. Have faith, Serenity will be beaten.
So, I re-watched Office Space last night as I said I would. It's good considering it's one of those films that requires little thought and it's also pretty funny, so I enjoyed it again.

Just watched Adaptation. I really enjoyed the beginning, but it really started going downhill after the halfway point. I think I sort of liked it overall, and was pleasantly surprised at how un-annoying Nicolas Cage was, but I'm not sure I'll ever bother watching it again.
Original post by Christien
I used to have like 14k posts on a SW forum :colondollar: And I wasn't even in the upper echelons of SW nerds. Have faith, Serenity will be beaten.

Lol wow, that's dedication. recently re-installed Jedi knight 3 jedi academy, been playing that again. Still fun, 8 years on :cool:

and yes, yes it will
Original post by internetstephen
^Scott pilgrim was his worst film so far, I don't know why it was so well received.

How wrong you are. Scott Pilgrim is probably the most fun film to have come out in a long time. It's also a movie where a huge amount of thought went into it, since it was in development for two years, the creator of the comic was involved and they actually waited until Michael Cera became the suitable age. Name me one other film from last year that has so many different things going on in the one scene, things that you can only catch if you watch the film over and over again. Scott Pilgrim is probably my second favourite movie of last year. The Social Network is my first.

Source Code is brilliant. Don't listen to all those bull****ters who say it's a poor man's Inception, because it's not. Duncan Jones will be the talent to keep your eye on, that's for sure.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Madjackismad
How wrong you are. Scott Pilgrim is probably the most fun film to have come out in a long time. It's also a movie where a huge amount of thought went into it, since it was in development for two years, the creator of the comic was involved and they actually waited until Michael Cera became the suitable age. Name me one other film from last year that has so many different things going on in the one scene, things that you can only catch if you watch the film over and over again. Scott Pilgrim is probably my second favourite movie of last year. The Social Network is my first.

I'm not wrong though, as someone who's read the source material it was a terrible adaption and I could see why someone who hasn't read the comics would like it but I didn't. For example the way Ramona was characterised was terrible, the film made her out as if she was nice, desirable etc. whereas for most of the comics she's basically a complete dick to Scott, something which wasn't touched on in the film. Also the things that were left out like subspace and Knives' dad were some of the best things from the comics imo.

And in terms of Edgar Wright's films it doesn't even come close to Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz.
I'm not wrong though, as someone who's read the source material it was a terrible adaption and I could see why someone who hasn't read the comics would like it but I didn't.

But my boyfriend adores the comics, and also loves the film :s-smilie:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Reply 693
I'm not wrong though, as someone who's read the source material it was a terrible adaption and I could see why someone who hasn't read the comics would like it but I didn't. For example the way Ramona was characterised was terrible, the film made her out as if she was nice, desirable etc. whereas for most of the comics she's basically a complete dick to Scott, something which wasn't touched on in the film. Also the things that were left out like subspace and Knives' dad were some of the best things from the comics imo.

And in terms of Edgar Wright's films it doesn't even come close to Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz.

I didn't like Shaun of the Dead nor Hot Fuzz :colondollar: But loved Scott Pilgrim...
Reply 694
Original post by mimimimi
So, I re-watched Office Space last night as I said I would. It's good considering it's one of those films that requires little thought and it's also pretty funny, so I enjoyed it again.

Just watched Adaptation. I really enjoyed the beginning, but it really started going downhill after the halfway point. I think I sort of liked it overall, and was pleasantly surprised at how un-annoying Nicolas Cage was, but I'm not sure I'll ever bother watching it again.

A lot of people make that criticism, for some reason. Adaptation did go downhill at the halfway point, but it was supposed to. The whole point is that Charlie Kaufman spends the first half of the movie trying to make something groundbreaking, brilliant and original, but realises that tired, played-out storytelling cliches - car chases, sex scenes, drug abuse, etc - are sometimes the best way to tell a story. I think the idea is that neither Charlie's Barton Finkesque 'I MUST CREATE TRUE ART' approach nor Donald's HAHAHA EXPLOSIONS AND PLOT TWISTS AND LEARNING MORAL LESSONS' approach is necessarily the right one; the writer should do what does the story justice. Of course, it's entirely possible - probable even - that you saw all this and didn't like it anyway, which is fair enough. I seem unable to comprehend anybody not enjoying that movie. :dontknow:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 695
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Lol wow, that's dedication. recently re-installed Jedi knight 3 jedi academy, been playing that again. Still fun, 8 years on :cool:

and yes, yes it will

It was around the time ROTS was coming out. I was actually genuinely excited for that POS. :nothing:

Ahhh, I wish LucasArts would have continued the Dark Forces series instead of The Force Unleashed. JA is inferior to JO, but the added lightsaber styles and force powers make it hard to go back. :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 696
I just saw Sucker Punch. Sweat Pea was hot. The film was not.
Original post by Christien
A lot of people make that criticism, for some reason. Adaptation did go downhill at the halfway point, but it was supposed to. The whole point is that Charlie Kaufman spends the first half of the movie trying to make something groundbreaking, brilliant and original, but realises that tired, played-out storytelling cliches - car chases, sex scenes, drug abuse, etc - are sometimes the best way to tell a story. I think the idea is that neither Charlie's Barton Finkesque 'I MUST CREATE TRUE ART' approach nor Donald's HAHAHA EXPLOSIONS AND PLOT TWISTS AND LEARNING MORAL LESSONS' approach is necessarily the right one; the writer should do what does the story justice. Of course, it's entirely possible - probable even - that you saw all this and didn't like it anyway, which is fair enough. I seem unable to comprehend anybody not enjoying that movie. :dontknow:

Oh, it does make a lot more sense now you say that. The storyline seemed to flip 180 degrees and I did get a bit confused when all the action started, as it started to take on a new direction and completely lost the factual telling of the story... I realise now that's supposed to be as Charlie starts doubting himself and gradually getting crazier and not just for no reason. Very clever indeed. As I said before, I think I actually liked the movie on the whole, and now I understand the ending a bit more it does make a lot more sense :redface: Perhaps I will watch it again one day, and I'll probably enjoy it more with this newfound understanding!

On a totally unrelated note, I tried to watch Bright Star earlier. Someone had told me it was rubbish, but I thought I'd try and form my own opinion of it. I turned it off after half an hour :redface:
Reply 698
Original post by mimimimi
Oh, it does make a lot more sense now you say that. The storyline seemed to flip 180 degrees and I did get a bit confused when all the action started, as it started to take on a new direction and completely lost the factual telling of the story... I realise now that's supposed to be as Charlie starts doubting himself and gradually getting crazier and not just for no reason. Very clever indeed. As I said before, I think I actually liked the movie on the whole, and now I understand the ending a bit more it does make a lot more sense :redface: Perhaps I will watch it again one day, and I'll probably enjoy it more with this newfound understanding!

On a totally unrelated note, I tried to watch Bright Star earlier. Someone had told me it was rubbish, but I thought I'd try and form my own opinion of it. I turned it off after half an hour :redface:

Ah, well I'm glad I could help you make some sense of it then. Bright Star is the Keats film, aye? Although I respect his work, I never got that into him. Ben Whishaw's a fine actor though.

^Scott pilgrim was his worst film so far, I don't know why it was so well received.

Scott Pilgrim is a fantastic piece of filmmaking. Regardless of what you think of the film you have to admire the skill that went into directing it (in a similar vein to appreciating that the editing in 127 Hours was done with a lot of talent, even if you didn't like the film).

I haven't read the source material but your criticisms of it in that respect certainly seem to be in the minority compared to other people I've spoken to. Indeed some people told me that pretty much the first half of the film is just a direct translation of the book. As a newcomer all of the characters felt perfectly fleshed out though. It was one of my favourite films of last year, and definitely think that it was the best directed film of the year.

I like all three of his features so far so I wouldn't call any of them bad, but while Scott Pilgrim may not be as good of a film as the Pegg-Frost collaborations it certainly feels like the most directed, and from that point of view I'd say it's his best work so far.

Quick Reply

Latest