The Student Room Group

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons?

Scroll to see replies

Humiliate them. Had a lecturer in 1st year who in the very first lecture ensured that people would either shut up and listen or not turn up to disrupt those who wanted to learn. A girl and boy talking at the back were addressed with 'You there! Is it love?' Shut them up very fast! Another group were kindly reminded that that if they found discussing the latest night out on facebook more interesting than the topic, they had his kind invitation to lecture on that instead. Again, they went purple. These lectures were holding 300 people. Most of the same size lectures have huge problems with idiots talking, but not the ones held by this guy! Attendance was pretty steady too. It's the way to go, before resorting to actively kicking people out.
Original post by (:Becca(:
Set people properly. I found it far easier to learn at GCSE when I was in a class with people of my own ability than in my mixed ability year 7/8/9 class. If anything, I was more disruptive then because I was being held back because we could only go as fast as the stupid (and also disruptive) kids.
EDIT: Grammar schools are a good idea. We need more.

YES
Original post by im so academic
Arguably hours?

Minutes even?
What if the teachers regularly check if you need help, but you say you don't, even though you do?

What if they're willing to help, but you're not able to?

a good teacher will know. so they wont ask you. from my experience, i was a toatal mess inside, but when asked "you ok?" by teachers id say yes. a few teachers KNEW i wasnt and questioned it all futher until they got it out of me.

Excuse me?! It is their fault. Who misbehaves? Oh, the child. I'm personally disgusted by your answer. Do NOT blame your misbehaviour on family problems.

There are kids all over the world who experience even worse **** than "friendship issues", and they bloody respect their education.

youv clearly never had to deal with issues that effect you so bad you cant cope with them, and as a release you get into trouble, as you dont know how to let go of that anger or hurt. its hard. i know people have got worse then friendship issues, but im not going to go into this, as you dont know what my issues were. and even if you did youd look down on me and tell me to "man up". when you have things in your life that effect your education, then come to me and tell me.

But if those kids aren't willing to be worked with, and not willing to co-operate, then yes, ****ing expel them. Children these days are given too many chances.

if youv got a good enough teacher then the pupil will work with them. once i had a support network in school i was happy to cooperate and i was happy to stay in lessons and do the work. support is a major part of helping badly behaved pupils. youll be suprised how few chances you get. i know quite a few people that got kicked out, and some of them should have had more chances.

You don't get excluded for no reason.

Act like a little ****, receive the consequences.

How difficult is it to button it and work?

youll be suprised, me and a friend did EXACTLY the same thing wrong, i got excluded for a day, and she didnt. i got taken out of that lesson for the rest of the year. she didnt. how is that fair?
i took all the consequences, belive you me, do you reckon i found it fun having to tell my mum id been excluded, do you think i found it fun having to pretend to get ready for school so my step dad didnt find out id been excluded?

again walk a mile in my shoes then tell me how teachers should deal with issues like theese. until you have experience at being that pupil you cant really comment.
like iv said before im now at uni doing a degree so i can help these pupils that you want to kick out of school, and i want to keep them in school and help them get their lives back on track.
Original post by PonchoKid
a good teacher will know. so they wont ask you. from my experience, i was a toatal mess inside, but when asked "you ok?" by teachers id say yes. a few teachers KNEW i wasnt and questioned it all futher until they got it out of me.

Why didn't you say yes if something was wrong? You can't expect someone to just 'know'. Teachers are normal people, not superheros.

me and a friend did EXACTLY the same thing wrong, i got excluded for a day, and she didnt.

You still did something wrong, it doesn't matter what she did/got.
It does my head in. I have a few classes which are full of arrogant tossers. You're over 16. You had a choice whether to stay at school or leave. You chose to stay. They distract the lesson completely, the teacher's trying to teach and they throw stuff and have conversations across the classroom and are generally rude.

In fact the other day, one of my teachers just took her coat and bag and left the school... she came back Friday, but only to get her belongings ... she was quitting because people in my class are so frickin rude. I walked out a few times and went to the library to revise cause I couldn't concentrate.
Original post by Jar of Hearts
It does my head in. I have a few classes which are full of arrogant tossers. You're over 16. You had a choice whether to stay at school or leave. You chose to stay. They distract the lesson completely, the teacher's trying to teach and they throw stuff and have conversations across the classroom and are generally rude.

In fact the other day, one of my teachers just took her coat and bag and left the school... she came back Friday, but only to get her belongings ... she was quitting because people in my class are so frickin rude. I walked out a few times and went to the library to revise cause I couldn't concentrate.

Poor woman. They shouldn't have to put up with that. They're still people. They're doing a difficult job for not very much money.
Original post by d4nny
Why didn't you say yes if something was wrong? You can't expect someone to just 'know'. Teachers are normal people, not superheros.

You still did something wrong, it doesn't matter what she did/got.

i didnt like letting people know i was hurting. and they could tell by my body language and facial expressions, aswell as how i spoke to people.
but back then i felt weak for asking for help.

i dont think you get what my point was. people dont get enough chances. i was treated by many teachers badly, because they didnt like me and who i was friends with. (dont say teachers like everyone and dont hate anyone, thats bull, and even a teacher has said this too me.)
My secondary had a good system where if a pupil was repeatedly disruptive they were sent to the pastoral support centre. They would collect their work from the teacher at the beginning of the class and work in a separate booth in the pastoral with a teacher overlooking all of their work. This was also used for pupils with special needs, hence by being there for a few weeks.
Reply 129
seems that a lot of people here are saying the ones who don't get good grades, do so because its their choice as their disruptive. not true- there are disruptive kids, but then kids who really struggle to get grades. I have taught a year 12 gcse maths student. What is clear is that they lump all types of 'bad grades kids' into one group, and due to disruption no one learns however much extra work he did: as you need a teacher to teach. I think that there should be paths people want to go down, when they hit 14, and for similar abilities eg the school system in Germany. Where you have grammar schools, comprehensive and secoundary modern. If you want to be a hair dresser, why are you 16 and studying physics? Exclusion means that they are unemployable, their fate is the doll for their rest of their life, and additional problems such as drugs.
i dont think you get what my point was. people dont get enough chances. i was treated by many teachers badly, because they didnt like me and who i was friends with. (dont say teachers like everyone and dont hate anyone, thats bull, and even a teacher has said this too me.)

I agree entirely that teachers don't like some people. But they don't like them because they disrupt.

IMO people get too many chances. I can't stand teachers who threaten time and time again and never follow through. People learn they can get away with s***.
Original post by d4nny
I agree entirely that teachers don't like some people. But they don't like them because they disrupt.

IMO people get too many chances. I can't stand teachers who threaten time and time again and never follow through. People learn they can get away with s***.

oh yeah, i agree some teachers give too many chances, i know this.
what im saying is when it comes to being excluded, wether this be fixed term, or permenantly. i personally dont belive you get enough chances. i got excluded for a day twice. and one time i got beaten up, yet still got excluded, and i got told that day. had to take a letter home to my mum and explain, not only that i had been in a fight, but "oh yeah by the way mum, im not allowed in tomorrow and you have to go for a meeting the day after"

with most exclusions your not on a 3 strike system, its a desicion made there and then.

same with isolation, i used to get put in isolation for stupid things. and i remember one time, id just been excluded, and they tried to put me in isolation for something that wasnt even my fault. id missed a detention because i didnt know about it as i went home ill.
i didnt see this as being fair, and managed to get myself out of isolation by speaking to teachers.

i think it depends entlirely on the teachers, and how they can keep pupils occupied and on task.
ejector seats
oh yeah, i agree some teachers give too many chances, i know this.
what im saying is when it comes to being excluded, wether this be fixed term, or permenantly. i personally dont belive you get enough chances. i got excluded for a day twice. and one time i got beaten up, yet still got excluded, and i got told that day. had to take a letter home to my mum and explain, not only that i had been in a fight, but "oh yeah by the way mum, im not allowed in tomorrow and you have to go for a meeting the day after"

with most exclusions your not on a 3 strike system, its a desicion made there and then.

same with isolation, i used to get put in isolation for stupid things. and i remember one time, id just been excluded, and they tried to put me in isolation for something that wasnt even my fault. id missed a detention because i didnt know about it as i went home ill.
i didnt see this as being fair, and managed to get myself out of isolation by speaking to teachers.

i think it depends entlirely on the teachers, and how they can keep pupils occupied and on task.

Absolutely. Exclusion is a serious thing and should only be considered after extended or extreme misbehaviour, and a fair trial.
Chuck them out of the classroom. Simples.
Original post by plastercaster
ejector seats

Love it!
What's all this privilege crap?

"Article 26.

* (1) Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
* (2) Education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shall further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace.
* (3) Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.
"

It is a right!
Reply 137
The ones that aren't bothered about learning get the most attention from teachers/TA's. Those who want to learn don't really get recognized. Its annoying but thats just how it is. You've gotta try encourage them, praise those who don't want to learn into learning. The ones however who do well, dont really get praised half as much as those who don't care.

When i was at secondary school. the ones at the top of the scale and bottom of the scale got recognized, praised and had lots of attention. But ones in middle wern't looked at twice, so most of them just dropped to being bottom. I was a middle kid, really did get me mad :frown:.
Original post by TurkeyProphet
What's all this privilege crap?

"Article 26.

* (1) Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
* (2) Education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shall further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace.
* (3) Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.
"

It is a right!

How ignorant! Have you ever even been to Africa or somewhere like that in the developing world? You are so lucky to be born into a country that has one of the best education systems in the world.
Original post by Gemma16
The ones that aren't bothered about learning get the most attention from teachers/TA's. Those who want to learn don't really get recognized. Its annoying but thats just how it is. You've gotta try encourage them, praise those who don't want to learn into learning. The ones however who do well, dont really get praised half as much as those who don't care.

When i was at secondary school. the ones at the top of the scale and bottom of the scale got recognized, praised and had lots of attention. But ones in middle wern't looked at twice, so most of them just dropped to being bottom. I was a middle kid, really did get me mad :frown:.

An interesting point. As a middle kid, I guess you are seen to be 'where you should be' and therefore are fine, so you don't get attention.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending