The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by Phalanges
Sitting through Sucker Punch (in a near deserted cinema, despite the fact that it was cheap day yesterday), all I could think about is how awful a Nolan-Snyder collaboration is going to end up.

I doubt Nolan's that involved at this stage. Having his name attached lends the film a certain credibility, so it's not surprising that they're trying to milk the association for all it's worth.
Original post by Abiraleft
For the end of the exams? Thanks, but those were just the mocks - the real ones start next month. :tongue:

Incidentally, how is Sucker Punch? I've heard very varied comments/reviews about it.

Also, I'll be going to watch In a Better World - the winner of the Oscar for Best Foreign Film - tomorrow. :biggrin:

Oh right, you'll be doing exams around the same time as me then. :p:

The overwhelming feeling I had about Sucker Punch is how boring it is which I was not expecting at all. Aside from the very first scene and the first proper fantasy scene, which were awesome, the rest of it just felt so devoid of any emotion it was impossible to really connect with it. And the story is just so full of crap, it really reminded me of those Jackie Chan TV shows where he'd go round collecting talismans. And it really bugged me that the place was called an institution for the "mentally insane" - what other kind of insane could they be? I'll probably do a review on it if I'm looking for something to procrastinate on before the football tonight.

I saw this film as Snyder's chance to show people that he wasn't just about style over substance, and he missed that massively.

Original post by Christien
I doubt Nolan's that involved at this stage. Having his name attached lends the film a certain credibility, so it's not surprising that they're trying to milk the association for all it's worth.

Nolan's only previously produced films he's directed though, so I imagine he'll be a lot more hands-on with this project than people that just whore out their name for the posters.
(edited 13 years ago)
Month or so till Thor... Yes.
Original post by Christien
I don't really do multiplayer. I'm terrible at it. :colondollar:
Prefer SP stuff like Thief, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, adventure games, Dragon Age, etc., and even in games with multiplayer I never ever use it.

Rango wouldn't normally appeal to me, but I do love westerns. :coma:

Rango is an odd film. I saw it a couple of weeks ago and I still can't decide what I think of it.
Where is the i09 championship? 2 days late. :unimpressed:

Original post by Phalanges
it really reminded me of those Jackie Chan TV shows where he'd go round collecting talismans.

Jackie Chan Adventures. Used to love that animated show as a kid. :awesome:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Jackie Chan Adventures. Used to love that animated show as a kid. :awesome:

YES.

Uncle was clearly the best character. "NO JACKIEEEE!" *slap*
That Hangover II trailer I posted a few days ago has been pulled:

Warner Bros and the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) have asked US cinema chains to remove the trailer for The Hangover Part II.

Slash Film reports that theatres across the country have received notice to pull the promo from screening in front of Jake Gyllenhaal's sci-fi thriller Source Code.

"Warner Bros and the MPAA have instructed all theatres to remove The Hangover Part II trailer #2 from Source Code and/or any current placements," the notice read.

The message added that a replacement for the trailer will be ready to show before Scream 4, which opens on April 15.

The studio responded to the website's enquiry about the decision with a "no comment".

The Hangover trailer features use of the words "gay boys", "bitches" and "wh*re". It closes with a scene of Zach Galifianakis's character Alan making a monkey simulate masturbating an elderly Thai man. "When a monkey nibbles on a weenus, it's funny in any language," Alan quips.

In the UK, the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) only lists the teaser trailer for the comedy sequel as being granted a rating.
Original post by Jace Falco
YES.

Uncle was clearly the best character. "NO JACKIEEEE!" *slap*

Missing it already. :teehee:

It got ridiculous in places. They would get all the talismans and lose them all, or they would make some new talismans suddenly appear and begin the quest all over again. Can't remember precisely. But even as a kid, I was like :colonhash:

Original post by The Stig
That Hangover II trailer I posted a few days ago has been pulled:

Could have been because of the "F" word in the trailer, either that or the whole water bottle thing. Probably the F word.
Didn't know where else to post this. :K:

Take an online psychology test seemingly designed to drive you insane
Phil Freeman points out that after taking this completely disturbing psychological test he's worried that he's been recruited to become some kind of sleeper assassin. You'll be directed to answer twenty increasingly scary questions by picking between two weird, throbbing shapes. By the end, you're having a bad trip. And then you're given a breezy, horoscope-like personality assessment that seems to have nothing to do with your harrowing journey. Have a nice day!

http://www.hypnoid.com/psytest2.html

My result :awesome: ...

You are in a perpetual quest to find the new, the exciting. Emotionally volatile, you are known for sudden changes of opinion, of appreciation, and behavior. Following rules and established methods is difficult for you and the difficulties of higher education are usually quite daunting. Knowledge is best gained through an intimate association with the matter at hand. Usually driven by attitudes and desires of the group, you are talented in an established field of endeavor. Emotions come and go without a strong understanding of their causes. They are unexpected guests in an otherwise placid landscape. You live by your own codes of conduct, which can be noble or terrible depending on the individual. Authority is meaningless to you. You hate to be predictable, at all costs. Rarely verbally effusive, you can at times feel as if your feelings are too deep for words. You are very observant, but rarely express these observations to others.

Accurate, surprisingly. :holmes:
(edited 13 years ago)
You taken it? :unsure:
Original post by The Stig
You taken it? :unsure:

Result above. Strangest test ever. Post yours. :holmes:
Reply 831
Result above. Strangest test ever. Post yours. :holmes:

Mine is partly relatable. The thing about mathematics, computer languages isn't really true at all but the latter part of the result is fairly accurate.

Thoughtful to the extreme, you are often obsessed with perfection and the rules governing your own personal interests. Your world is black and white. You love to work within a logical system, such as language, computer programming, or mathematics. Manipulating a system that can be completely understood is a distinct pleasure to you, because of your confidence in the underlying veracity of your belief system. Because of your appreciation for logic and order, those who speak or think in a sloppy manner are apt to generate more than their share of wrath. Although very amiable, you are not drawn to friendships out of a sense of personal need. You are just as happy by yourself with a good book or puzzle. Because you are so involved with thought, you will on occasion have difficulty dealing with the day-to-day problems of a normal life. Taking out the trash, doing the dishes, these are often left until the last possible moment, if at all.

Quite bizarre. Would like to know what drug the creator of that test was on.
Anyone else seen source code? Thought it was really good, its very interesting and kept me entertained throughout. Also jake gyllenhaal is a great actor imo!
Original post by Roobsa

Quite bizarre. Would like to know what drug the creator of that test was on.

As stupid as this test is, I kinda like it:

You have a strong sense of right and wrong, and because of this are often given to murderous rage. Despite what can sometimes be a destructive inward-turning anger, you are very gentle. You are sometimes a bit out of touch with the ebb and flow of modern life. If your behavior is out of synch with your moral values, a severe psychic disturbance can result. Sometimes the voices tell you to use an axe on those who displease you. Because connectivity is so important to you, you can become quiet and sulky if you feel that others around do not understand your point of view

:teehee:
Original post by CertifiedAngel
Anyone else seen source code? Thought it was really good, its very interesting and kept me entertained throughout. Also jake gyllenhaal is a great actor imo!

Yup, not a great film, but it's certainly an entertaining film. I love science fiction films that revolve around a particular concept or idea. Looking forward to future films made by the director. Good things to come.

Michelle Monaghan is not bad. Not bad at all. :ninja:
(edited 13 years ago)
Didn't know where else to post this. :K:

http://www.hypnoid.com/psytest2.html

My result :awesome: ...

Accurate, surprisingly. :holmes:

Did you ever see that Derren Brown thing where he got a group of people to take a 'psychological' test, gave them all the same results, and they all related to it.

My results:

Blah blah bull.
Mad person
Thoughtful to the extreme, you are often obsessed with perfection and the rules governing your own personal interests. Your world is black and white. You love to work within a logical system, such as language, computer programming, or mathematics. Manipulating a system that can be completely understood is a distinct pleasure to you, because of your confidence in the underlying veracity of your belief system. Because of your appreciation for logic and order, those who speak or think in a sloppy manner are apt to generate more than their share of wrath. Although very amiable, you are not drawn to friendships out of a sense of personal need. You are just as happy by yourself with a good book or puzzle. Because you are so involved with thought, you will on occasion have difficulty dealing with the day-to-day problems of a normal life. Taking out the trash, doing the dishes, these are often left until the last possible moment, if at all.

Okay... not really true, I have no problems with the trash or washing dishes.
Empire Strikes Back vs Serenity.

http://io9.com/#!5789509/io9-march-movie-madness-the-final-showdown-empire-vs-serenity

EDIT: Went from having a 50% lead with a good couple of hundred votes now to leading with a few percent and by 100 votes. :colonhash:
(edited 13 years ago)
Just finished watching Limitless :teeth:

I want that drug :sad:
James Franco has denied being stoned/high at the Oscars.... I believe him

The adjustment bureau should have featured a plastcs surgery clinic in the film. Your face, has been Adujsted

Quick Reply

Latest