The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Superman (Man of Steel) villain revealed.

Michael Shannon will portray the evil Kryptonian General Zod. Snyder via a Warner Bros. press release:

Mehh, I'm gonna remain skeptical about how good The man of Steel will be up till we get a teaser / trailer, I mean Henry cavill seems pretty decent.. Amy Adams is a good actress but I'm still not 100% sure about this reboot

Everytime Zack Snyder's gone on about the film being 'realistic' and all, it's just odd but at the same time yeah Superman wouldn't be able to fly with a skyscraper horizontally holding one end without it probably falling apart - then again he is Superman so it's not a question of his limits but just physics
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Mehh, I'm gonna remain skeptical about how good The man of Steel will be up till we get a teaser / trailer, I mean Henry cavill seems pretty decent.. Amy Adams is a good actress but I'm still not 100% sure about this reboot

Everytime Zack Snyder's gone on about the film being 'realistic' and all, it's just odd but at the same time yeah Superman wouldn't be able to fly with a skyscraper horizontally holding one end without it probably falling apart - then again he is Superman so it's not a question of his limits but just physics

Actually, it's been suggested that Superman's strength is partially psionic, not just physical - hence why he can move objects as large as planets. Physics would dictate that, due to his size compared to a planet, he would tend to go through the planet before he could impart enough force to move it.
Zod? There's a surprise. :nothing:
Original post by Jace Falco
Actually, it's been suggested that Superman's strength is partially psionic, not just physical - hence why he can move objects as large as planets. Physics would dictate that, due to his size compared to a planet, he would tend to go through the planet before he could impart enough force to move it.

Oh right and apparently affect the rotation of the earth by... flying really fast (not sure if that's actually in comics though) - but it's weird cos Zack Snyder's going on about how realistic The man of Steel is and emphasising the need for realism in the context of the film, meh

Just hope it works out well anyway

In other news - Priest looks weird, I'll probably see it but fans of the manga already hate the film
Reply 964
Preacher looks weird too, but in a really, really good way.
http://www.slashfilm.com/sam-mendes-to-direct-preacher/
Film watching today has consisted of Harry Potter and Four Lions :yep:
Original post by True Ace
Preacher looks weird too, but in a really, really good way.
http://www.slashfilm.com/sam-mendes-to-direct-preacher/

The graphic novels are absolutely ****ing incredible. I had no idea when I started just how amazing they were going to be. Garth Ennis is truly a master of the craft.

So, naturally, I am incredibly sceptical about a film adaptation, and will damn it for the slightest indiscretion.

I mean it. I will get more angry about this than I will about Green Lantern, and some of you may remember the rants I went on about that.

They will get the casting wrong, that's a given. They will almost certainly downplay the swearing, smoking, drinking and ****ing. They will also very probably dilute the anti-religious message. We'll see.
Reply 967
Original post by Jace Falco
The graphic novels are absolutely ****ing incredible. I had no idea when I started just how amazing they were going to be. Garth Ennis is truly a master of the craft.

So, naturally, I am incredibly sceptical about a film adaptation, and will damn it for the slightest indiscretion.

I mean it. I will get more angry about this than I will about Green Lantern, and some of you may remember the rants I went on about that.

They will get the casting wrong, that's a given. They will almost certainly downplay the swearing, smoking, drinking and ****ing. They will also very probably dilute the anti-religious message. We'll see.

I'd like to see Gary Oldman as Preacher, he is a chameleon... That guy from Being Human that played Mitchell would be really good as Cassidy too. I think that Jeff Bridges with a bigger beard could make a good God.

They're going to have to tone it down, there would be so much cut if they stayed faithful and if they leave the anti-religious stuff in there thats going to cause all sorts of problems too.

Trying to make a realistic film about Superman is ****ing stupid. With Batman it's possible because he's not actually alien but when your protagonist can fly, has x-ray vision, a myriad of other magical properties and is utterly incognito just by donning a pair of glasses, it's never going to stick.
Reply 969
Probably extremely late to the party, but I like the look of this!

Original post by aja89
Probably extremely late to the party, but I like the look of this!

Sounds a bit repetitive but i'd still watch it. I love 'why can't I be a superhero?' movies:teeth:
Original post by True Ace
I'd like to see Gary Oldman as Preacher, he is a chameleon... That guy from Being Human that played Mitchell would be really good as Cassidy too. I think that Jeff Bridges with a bigger beard could make a good God.

They're going to have to tone it down, there would be so much cut if they stayed faithful and if they leave the anti-religious stuff in there thats going to cause all sorts of problems too.

Gary Oldman as Jesse Custer? For a start, he's way too old: Jesse is in his twenties, Oldman is 53. He's also far too slight: Jesse is a big guy. And I really just don't see him playing the character. Jesse's the good cowboy in the white hat who nevurrr hits a wummen and will only kill a mayn in a furrr fight. I don't see that on Oldman.

Aidan Turner would make an alright Cass, but again, I don't really see the character on him.

It doesn't really matter who plays God, as long as he's pretentious, sanctimonious, petty, egotistical and self-righteous, really.
Original post by Phalanges
Trying to make a realistic film about Superman is ****ing stupid. With Batman it's possible because he's not actually alien but when your protagonist can fly, has x-ray vision, a myriad of other magical properties and is utterly incognito just by donning a pair of glasses, it's never going to stick.

xD exactly the same thing I thought when I first heard Zack snyders' comments on his added realism in the man of Steel, well I keep my faith in Snyder, I'm a fan of his style anyway

It's still way to early to judge anything about the film but what do you think of the cast announced so far?
Original post by Guvnor

Looks good :holmes:

Was dragged Went to see it. It's not horrific, but it's not good either. Pretty meh. :tongue:

Original post by Stray_talk
Ahh, I love that film. I've not read the graphic novel so maybe that's it. That aside, I still think it's a good film.
Then again, I'm easily suckered in :tongue:

Quite like it as well. Shia La Beouf is in it. But it's like those background parts he has with I Robot and Will Smith. Before he became a central character. :colonhash:

Original post by Stray_talk
I'm so excited about this film, I can't begin to describe.

Looking forward to any other films this year?

Original post by danny111
i saw amelie the other day. beautiful film :smile:

It certainly is. Took me ages to watch it, but it's hilarious. And the Narrator is great.

Superman just doesn't seem like a great superhero. That may be bias coming from being used to heroes being humans, or of human origin - so to some extent being able to relate. My mind may change when I've read the graphic novels, or am more invested in the lore. But it's just like someone sat at a drawing board and went I'm going to go ****ing crazy with this. Well, I suppose that is sort of duh given the character's name. But still, Kryptonite and his disguise are so ****ty. Lois Lane is a dumb bimbo. :colonhash:
I processed 5 join requests a few days ago, and now another 4. :holmes:

Stray_talk
x

ooga
x

tiny-trooper
x

Bouchra
x

Welcome to the society and chat thread! Feel free to post about any films you're looking forward to, or have watched. :h:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Was dragged Went to see it. It's not horrific, but it's not good either. Pretty meh. :tongue:

Quite like it as well. Shia La Beouf is in it. But it's like those background parts he has with I Robot and Will Smith. Before he became a central character. :colonhash:

Looking forward to any other films this year?

It certainly is. Took me ages to watch it, but it's hilarious. And the Narrator is great.

Superman just doesn't seem like a great superhero. That may be bias coming from being used to heroes being humans, or of human origin - so to some extent being able to relate. My mind may change when I've read the graphic novels, or am more invested in the lore. But it's just like someone sat at a drawing board and went I'm going to go ****ing crazy with this. Well, I suppose that is sort of duh given the character's name. But still, Kryptonite and his disguise are so ****ty. Lois Lane is a dumb bimbo. :colonhash:

Lool fair enough, I can see where criticisms of Superman come from, not the most relatable hero with human qualities but he is awsum

Not really a disguise either, it's just Superman not in his costume wearing glasses :rolleyes: I still wonder how no one has noticed

I think recently Batman's been the more popular and famous superhero in recent years, simply cos of Nolan's adaptations of Batman and The Dark Knight of course - and because Superman Returns 'flopped', meh I like it
I think recently Batman's been the more popular and famous superhero in recent years, simply cos of Nolan's adaptations of Batman and The Dark Knight of course - and because Superman Returns 'flopped', meh I like it

Definitely. Not only because of Nolan's masterstroke, but because it went for that dark and gritty feel, which a lot of films seem to want to emulate (but they shouldn't as some superheroes are not supposed to be dark and gritty). And on top of that direction, he made it more realistic. Took it away from the ridiculous, comedic and supernatural. The Dark Knight ultimately was not just a superhero film, but a great action film with a multi-layered story. Whereas with Superman, you'll always be reminded that it is a superhero film, all the elements in the film are reminders of that, and the story doesn't develop much beyond Superman/Kent himself. At least, that's what I was reminded of when I watched Returns.

Lool fair enough, I can see where criticisms of Superman come from, not the most relatable hero with human qualities but he is awsum

Not really a disguise either, it's just Superman not in his costume wearing glasses :rolleyes: I still wonder how no one has noticed

Just remembered this great dialogue from Kill Bill about Superman and his disguise.

Reply 977
I wanted to watch more Lumet movies, so I rented Network and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead yesterday (they didn't have 12 Angry Men or Serpico; are there any others I should be keeping a keen eye out for?). I'll probably be watching the latter in a bit.
Original post by cambo211

I bet someone moved them around specifically to take that picture.

Quick Reply

Latest