The Student Room Group

Biotic/Abiotic Factors??

In answering a question about what factors a newly introduced species might have to deal with, I have written the following: (generally, also including specifics for plants and animals, as this is a general question...) .... will have to deal with biotic factors such as avoiding predation, competing for food resources and competing for suitable mating partners, while also dealing with abiotic factors such as shelter availability, quality/quantity of water, light, soil conditions.

Can anyone think of any other factors I might have missed?

For plants, would light availability count as an abiotic factor or a biotic factor? light is abiotic, but the plant requires this for food production? :confused:

Cheers!
Reply 1
light is abiotic

- disease
- altitude
- in a marine environment pressure
Reply 2
Cheers mate
Reply 3
- competing for shelter perhaps
Reply 4
Original post by rishmiester
In answering a question about what factors a newly introduced species might have to deal with, I have written the following: (generally, also including specifics for plants and animals, as this is a general question...) .... will have to deal with biotic factors such as avoiding predation, competing for food resources and competing for suitable mating partners, while also dealing with abiotic factors such as shelter availability, quality/quantity of water, light, soil conditions.

Can anyone think of any other factors I might have missed?

For plants, would light availability count as an abiotic factor or a biotic factor? light is abiotic, but the plant requires this for food production? :confused:

Cheers!

Original post by SHABANA
- competing for shelter perhaps
:wink:
Hmmm, its similar to the one above, but I guess that could also be a factor in its own right (my one is abiotic, this one is biotic...).
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 5
Hmmm, its similar to the one above, but I guess that could also be a factor in its own right (my one is abiotic, this one is biotic...).

More specificaly for plants, we would need may have to talk about distrbution of seeds, (whether or not the animals there will ingest the plants yield, excrete the seeds, or digest the seeds themselves), or in the case of wind dispersal of seeds, conditions would also have to be suffecient.
Reply 6

Yeah I read your point as shelter availability with regards to space etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending