The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

NEDs - Wish i could take back those 2hrs I wasted watching it. It just all a bit pointless, the only thing it did was give a insight to a stereotypical youth gone wrong, it didn't really have much of a beginning middle and end. Wasn't a fan, was expecting something a bit more from the director.

Recommend you all see some Stephen Poliakoff films. Did a recent one called glourious 39, but Gideons Daughter, Shooting the Past and Crocodiles and Friends are just pieces of art, just sublime. Some call him pretentious, they allow for space something reminiscent of 2001 a space odyssey. I just call it pure and simple story telling, gripping, showing us that we don't need CGI, explosions to make something peak our interest, all you need is damn good acting and a damn good story.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1241
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It did butcher the book in some respects, went in strange directions that I don't recall ever being in the book (tale rescue missions and cousins :erm:) - but the animation is excellent, as is the voice acting.

Time for bed. :moon:

The plot additions were... strange... to say the least.

I didn't particularly like the animation. Reminiscent of Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas - only the creepy look is out of place on woodland animals.
Reply 1242
Original post by insparato
NEDs - Wish i could take back those 2hrs I wasted watching it. It just all a bit pointless, the only thing it did was give a insight to a stereotypical youth gone wrong, it didn't really have much of a beginning middle and end. Wasn't a fan, was expecting something a bit more from the director.

It certainly had a defined beginning, but I felt the fatal flaw in it was the random skipping between scenes without much explanation whatsoever.

Spoiler

The ending could be seen as a symbol for hopelessness, but was too weird and inconclusive. The Jesus hallucination gets off for being both quite cool and triggered by glue sniffing.
I just watched Mysterious Skin... Really liked it, and not just because of JGL's hotness.
What do people think of Cooper being in The Crow remake?
I think it's either going to:
a)Be the best thing that's ever happened to his career
b)Be the worst thing that's ever happened to his career
c) Result in him getting shot in a freak accident :/
Original post by sheep_go_baa

Worst thing that's ever happened to his career.
Reply 1246
Original post by sheep_go_baa

Never liked him anyway :smile: He just really, really grinds on my nerves.

There's something extremely irritating about him.

But, another Crow movie? Ffs.

On another note, it seems I'll be seeing yet another sequel this week. Fast and the Furious FIVE. Some serious Vin Diesel action tomorrow.
(edited 13 years ago)
Insidious looks pretty good. may be another horror film that actually scares me, the first in a while
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Insidious looks pretty good. may be another horror film that actually scares me, the first in a while

I think the trailer looks crap. It involves the typical poltergeist antics, the inviting of semi fraudulent ghost busters and a ouija board. Same old formula.

**** catchphrase aswell- "Insidious is insidious"

wtf

Brownie points for Moldau
(edited 13 years ago)
cinema is in a dire state of regurgitation
Reply 1251

can't wait for zombieland 2... Charlie sheen must, must make a celebrity cameo - would just be epiiic

hey this is my first post in here. Are they really making a zombieland 2? I loved the first one, bill murray was class.
Original post by Ael8
hey this is my first post in here. Are they really making a zombieland 2? I loved the first one, bill murray was class.

Yo - yeah they are, we don't know too much about it but it may be slated for a near end of the year release, November or October. Same main cast returning and apparently a new celebrity guest cameo too

excited :smile:

Was interested to see that World War Z has also gone into production I hear, it should start being made now - Brad Pitts' at the head of the project or so I hear, the concept is interesting. Quite a lot of films being adapted from manga, novels, graphic novels and comics these days
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1253
Original post by SteveCrain
cinema is in a dire state of regurgitation

Care to expand on that?
Reply 1255

Yo - yeah they are, we don't know too much about it but it may be slated for a near end of the year release, November or October. Same main cast returning and apparently a new celebrity guest cameo too

excited :smile:

Was interested to see that World War Z has also gone into production I hear, it should start being made now - Brad Pitts' at the head of the project or so I hear, the concept is interesting. Quite a lot of films being adapted from manga, novels, graphic novels and comics these days

Cool thanks for the heads up. I will look out for it. Dont' know much about the World War Z thing but it sounds quite good im guessing it comes from a comic of some sorts? you are right alot of movies being made are adapted from comic books and even fictional books its just weather they can capture the broad imagery depicted through the words and the images that divides alot of opinions and makes the films a success or a flop.
Reply 1256
Original post by Ael8
Cool thanks for the heads up. I will look out for it. Dont' know much about the World War Z thing but it sounds quite good im guessing it comes from a comic of some sorts? you are right alot of movies being made are adapted from comic books and even fictional books its just weather they can capture the broad imagery depicted through the words and the images that divides alot of opinions and makes the films a success or a flop.

It's a book. Would be a pretty good film as well!
Original post by Roobsa

Why was he in Libya... :confused: but sad news anyway
Reply 1258
Why was he in Libya... :confused: but sad news anyway

He's a photojournalist for Vanity Fair and was covering the violence out there.
Has anybody seen Archipelago? Looks quite interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest