The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1280
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
And welcome to you too, officially. :h:

A pleasure :hat2:

I'm quite looking forward to Fast and Furious 5. Not because it's going to be a masterpiece, but just some good entertainment. :yep:

Aye, just want some pedal to the metal adrenaline, to be absolutely honest. It's good to watch a non-serious entertaining movie sometimes. Though it's hardly a Blockbuster, the cars are insane :biggrin:

sexxxxy...

Original post by SteveCrain

Original post by SteveCrain
And you knew this without googling?

Did I know who coined it? No, I'm happy to admit to an almost non-existent knowledge of the etymological roots of words.

Had I head of it before Avatar? Yes.
Original post by Roobsa
Has anyone played Portal 2? There's a Super 8 (as in the film) level that's pretty cool. It's called an interactive trailer and it doesn't last long but I'm sure it's full of hints about the film if you look close enough.

Huh? Where's this? I've finished the campaign and just finished co-op with a friend, but haven't come across this.
Reply 1283
Original post by Madjackismad
Huh? Where's this? I've finished the campaign and just finished co-op with a friend, but haven't come across this.

It's in the Extras menu.
Think I might watch La Haine :love: And I have totally not spent the last two hours watching Ross Kemp on Gangs
Watching 'catch me if you can'.

Love this film :love:
Reply 1286
Watching Little Fockers :biggrin:
Original post by cambo211
Watching 'catch me if you can'.

Love this film :love:

Such an awesome film. Even remember watching it in the cinema :p:

DiCaprio is brilliant in it!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Hedger
Such an awesome film. Even remember watching it in the cinema :p:

DiCaprio is brilliant in it!

Spielberg originally wanted Depp to play Frank IIRC.
Reply 1288
Watching The Queen for the first time. Twenty four minutes in and so far it's just made me furious and hate her. And I wasn't even a Diana fanatic.
Reply 1289

I'm glad he didn't. Depp should stick with the more eccentric and weird/psychotic characters. That's definitely his niche, along with Gary Oldham :cool: I watched Donnie Brasco again last week and even though he's very, very good in it. There's times where I was thinking "is he really the right person for this?".
Reply 1290

Thank God he didn't.

Don't rally rate Depp that highly and no way he could've potrayed Frank as well as Dicaprio.
Original post by Hedger
I'm glad he didn't. Depp should stick with the more eccentric and weird/psychotic characters. That's definitely his niche, along with Gary Oldham :cool: I watched Donnie Brasco again last week and even though he's very, very good in it. There's times where I was thinking "is he really the right person for this?".

Keep saying things like that and Phalanges'll come in and correct you about Depp.
Reply 1292
Keep saying things like that and Phalanges'll come in and correct you about Depp.

Never mind, eh? :smile: But, don't get me wrong, I love Depp in many respects, but he's suited to specific types of characters and films. Something like Catch Me If You Can definitely isn't a Depp film.

DiCaprio is my favourite out of the two. He's proven in such a wide variety of roles and films that he's, in my opinion, the best of his generation.
Original post by Hedger

Original post by Hedger
Never mind, eh? :smile: But, don't get me wrong, I love Depp in many respects, but he's suited to specific types of characters and films. Something like Catch Me If You Can definitely isn't a Depp film.

DiCaprio is my favourite out of the two. He's proven in such a wide variety of roles and films that he's, in my opinion, the best of his generation.

Have you watched Revolutionary Road? I wasn't convinced by DiCaprio until I saw that film and I changed my mind in an instance. We'll forget Blood Diamonds, eh? :wink:
Reply 1294
Original post by Stray_talk
Have you watched Revolutionary Road? I wasn't convinced by DiCaprio until I saw that film and I changed my mind in an instance. We'll forget Blood Diamonds, eh? :wink:

No, I really wanted to watch it at the cinema but never got round to it. Never really rent or buy movies any more so behind on the newer movies I don't catch on the big screen. Always loved DiCaprio though. Especially since around Gangs of New York, I've considered him a personal favourite. Pretty much every other Scorsese movie with him was outstanding. Especially the recent Shutter Island :biggrin:

You not like Blood Diamond? I really enjoyed it and his South African accent was pretty good (though, could have been a little better :p:)

I'll note it was Sam Mendes directing that got me interested... then I realised DiCaprio and Kate were in it :biggrin: Was it a decent film?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Hedger

Original post by Hedger
No, I really wanted to watch it at the cinema but never got round to it. Never really rent or buy movies any more so behind on the newer movies I don't catch on the big screen. Always loved DiCaprio though. Especially since around Gangs of New York, I've considered him a personal favourite. Pretty much every other Scorsese movie with him was outstanding. Especially the recent Shutter Island :biggrin:

You not like Blood Diamond? I really enjoyed it and his South African accent was pretty good (though, could have been a little better :p:)

Ahh, Shutter Island was great. He's good at the intense stuff, for sure. I wasn't that keen on Gangs of New York, I got bored but don't hold that against me! I'd recommend Revolutionary Road - just don't expect to smile much, hah.

It was his accent that put me off :tongue:
Reply 1296
Original post by Stray_talk
Ahh, Shutter Island was great. He's good at the intense stuff, for sure. I wasn't that keen on Gangs of New York, I got bored but don't hold that against me! I'd recommend Revolutionary Road - just don't expect to smile much, hah.

It was his accent that put me off :tongue:

Shutter Island was my favourite film of that year. IIRC Inception was out in the same year, but I've still not managed to watch it properly (it's almost shameful, Mendes and Nolan are directors I rank very highly(especially Nolan) and with DiCaprio in them both... damn :colondollar:).

And no, that's a normal response I think. At first, I thought it was average. It was the second time I watched it where I really, really loved it. Daniel Day-Lewis was absolutely flawless and it was just so beautiful to watch. Hell even the music was class, as is everything by Howard Shore :biggrin: Though, I'm about as much of a Scorsese geek you can get.

Before I watched Blood Diamond I wasn't that familiar with the South African accent so I thought it was normal. It wasn't until my girlfriend said to check it out (who has been SA a few times) that I realised it was a little... off :biggrin:
Reply 1297
Original post by aja89
Watching The Queen for the first time. Twenty four minutes in and so far it's just made me furious and hate her. And I wasn't even a Diana fanatic.

So, film now finished.

A very uncomfortable movie to sit through, sensationalised no doubt but truly astonishing to see the Royal Family make so many bad decisions over the handling of Diana's death.

I think overall the film did a splendid job in encapsulating in 90 minutes the attitude of the nation over that period. From my earlier post you can see that I was incensed by the first half hour, just as the public were at the time in the first few days. However, I ended up feeling sympathetic for The Queen and with a lot of respect for the horror (and I do believe it is a horror) of a job she's been doing since the f**king 50's.

Some parts were almost unbearable to watch, the scene when she is reading all the abusive cards outside the Palace for example. There's something quite unnerving about seeing the fragility of a woman who is still our reigning monarch. I remember very vividly the real televised speech she gave and as an eight year old it gave me a weird sense of "oh everything will be alright now". I'd never witnessed our nation fall apart like they did that week, and I haven't since.

Wowza, I didn't expect to write all that! I suppose the conclusion has to be that I watched an extraordinary film without realising it at the time. Those are the best kind.

I love film. :rolleyes:
Original post by Hedger

Original post by Hedger
Shutter Island was my favourite film of that year. IIRC Inception was out in the same year, but I've still not managed to watch it properly (it's almost shameful, Mendes and Nolan are directors I rank very highly(especially Nolan) and with DiCaprio in them both... damn :colondollar:).

And no, that's a normal response I think. At first, I thought it was average. It was the second time I watched it where I really, really loved it. Daniel Day-Lewis was absolutely flawless and it was just so beautiful to watch. Hell even the music was class, as is everything by Howard Shore :biggrin: Though, I'm about as much of a Scorsese geek you can get.

Before I watched Blood Diamond I wasn't that familiar with the South African accent so I thought it was normal. It wasn't until my girlfriend said to check it out (who has been SA a few times) that I realised it was a little... off :biggrin:

Inception boggled my mind but I love films that do that, so I'm not about to complain. What do you mean by you've not watched it properly, did you fall asleep or something? :tongue: Old Leo was flawless in that although I did take a shine to Tom Hardy, too, great stuff.
I think GONY is just a film that'll never get along with me, won't convert me on this one :wink:

I've grown up with the SA accent around me so I knew it was off pretty much straightaway, hah. He did try but it's almost as bad as bad american actors getting Irish accents really wrong :tongue:
Sky anytime: chungking express or hot tub time machine or macgruber....hmmm

:closedeyes:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest