I think I must intervene here and steal Fillion off you. Yoink:awesome:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Stray_talk
Oh, you can have him..

I definitely, definitely would :daydreaming:
Reply 1382
What has this thread become, ffs. :colonhash:

Original post by Phalanges
United was just about the most poignant thing I've watched this year.

I'm behind on this one... United? Elaborate, if you please. :holmes:
anyone know any decent films on tonight?
Reply 1384
Watching Public Enemies tonight, finally. Wanted to watch it in the cinema but it was off before I got the chance. Love Michael Mann films and Depp is always a pleasure to watch. I shall do my first review tomorrow :smile:
Original post by zjs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b010tb6z/United/ :yep:
If anyone is thinking of watching Monsters, don't bother.
For starters the squiddlies aren't in the least bit scary and the ending imo is cr**

I am thoroughly underwelmed :colonhash:
Road Wars it is then
Reply 1388
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
For starters the squiddlies aren't in the least bit scary and the ending imo is cr**

I agree. :sadnod:

I thought the Monsters were well-created though (given that I never find any creatures "scary" in the slightest anyway). Likewise, the actual post-alien landscape of Mexico was created beautifully and really worked.

The problem was that the exciting crescendo never came, neither did any sort of point to the film beyond attempting to make some sort of rom-com with aliens as a backdrop. The ending was dire.

Original post by zjs

TV film based around the Munich Air Tragedy, and the very overlooked resurrection of the club by Jimmy Murphy.

I'd highly recommend it, even if you aren't particularly into football. It's the polar opposite of an Emmerich film, and a far better disaster movie than he will ever make.
Original post by zjs
I agree. :sadnod:

Spoiler

The problem was that the exciting crescendo never came, neither did any sort of point to the film beyond attempting to make some sort of rom-com with aliens as a backdrop. The ending was dire.

Spoiler

I get the impression that they wanted us to feel for the characters by giving them histories, but I felt that every time they wanted us to feel for them they distanced the characters by them changing the subject :erm:

Just feels like an average film :yep:
(edited 13 years ago)
HEY GUYS I'm back after a virtually internet-free jolly up in Scotland. What've I missed?
Reply 1392
I'll agree with you there in that they looked good.. but I mean come on.. squiddlies :rolleyes:
And I will definitely agree on the Mexican area

Spoiler

:yep:

I get the impression that they wanted us to feel for the characters by giving them histories, but I felt that every time they wanted us to feel for them they distanced the characters by them changing the subject :erm:

Just feels like an average film :yep:

I didn't really concentrate on, or - apparently - pick up at any point, that "squiddies" was the name used for them. :colondollar:

Spoiler

It just didn't work at all. The stories seemed like they could develop but it all remained very much like cardboard cut-outs. I felt closer to, and more concerned about, the plight of the various Mexicans and Central Americans they came across.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by zjs
I didn't really concentrate on, or - apparently - pick up at any point, that "squiddies" was the name used for them. :colondollar:

I was trying not to reveal anything about the plotline and thus only mentioned Mexico. :mob:

It just didn't work at all. The stories seemed like they could develop but it all remained very much like cardboard cut-outs. I felt closer to, and more concerned about, the plight of the various Mexicans and Central Americans they came across.

haha no they didn't call them squiddlies, I just named them that since it seems apt :colondollar:

I thought I was vague enough but I'll spoiler my original post just in case if you want to edit where you quoted me :h:
Reply 1394
haha no they didn't call them squiddlies, I just named them that since it seems apt :colondollar:

I thought I was vague enough but I'll spoiler my original post just in case if you want to edit where you quoted me :h:

Trying to confuse me I see. :colonhash:

Will do.
Reply 1395
'United' was excellent. Truly poignant. :cry2:

lol, are they actually called that? sounds like something kids watch on CBBC :biggrin:
Original post by Hedger
Oh I will do :biggrin: Russia absolutely fascinates me, both the history and even how enigmatic it is today. I'm dieing to go to Moscow and St. Petersburg :biggrin:

I was going to have classes this year (my final year) but one of my friends who speaks Russian advised me not to. Apparently an Englishman with no advanced linguistic skills (except for GCSE French) would find it quite hard, haha. If I could have chosen Russian at college I would have done it.

Hope your having an awesome time! It'll be sad coming back for what I presume is your final year!!

Sorry to everyone else for the off topic-ness of this discussion! I can't write on your wall or send a message so this'll have to do :colondollar:

You should have taken classes! I doubt they'd have pushed you that hard, and it's really not as difficult as it seems... Though I took 4 languages at GCSE, I didn't do any at A Level, and I'm managing fine with a degree in it, I just had to put a little more work in than other people who were already amazing linguists :tongue: If you still want to learn the language, you should totally do it!

Oh and yeah, definitely come and visit Russia. St Petersburg is much better than Moscow, IMHO, but try and do both if you can... Anyway I'll shut up now as this thread is supposed to be about film! Hehe.
I would dearly love another This Is England film/series.
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
HEY GUYS I'm back after a virtually internet-free jolly up in Scotland. What've I missed?

Yo Cadeibfetch, the name that implies Welshness :tongue: nothing too much though, how was your trip? You to see the Old firm derby live? lol

Original post by Stray_talk
I would dearly love another This Is England film/series.

I wouldn't mind another film - This is England 86 was a bit of a... well I just lost interest after 2 episodes, 4 wasn't near enough anyway imo, it could have been a lot better

Btw anyone else like last years Robin Hood with Russel Crowe? He was slated for his accent in the film but he wasn't even that bad, the film's ok - yeah I like films set in the middle ages but stilll

Quick Reply

Latest