The Student Room Group

OCR M1 forces question.

At first place the question says that the forces are horizontal and then it says that the angle between them is 60o. I get the answer according to the Mark Scheme by using 60o angle. But just wanted to confirm if that's a typo in the question? :rolleyes:

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zishi
At first place the question says that the forces are horizontal and then it says that the angle between them is 60o. I get the answer according to the Mark Scheme by using 60o angle. But just wanted to confirm if that's a typo in the question? :rolleyes:

It's not a typo.

A table top is horizontal, but it could still have two forces acting at a point that are 60 degrees apart.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
But isn't the question stating that the 'FORCES' are horizontal? :confused: The angle between any two horizontal things is always like 0o OR 180o...

Maybe a forces diagram would help?
Reply 3
Imagine looking at it from above. The forces are acting in the same plane, but at different angles.
the 60 degrees bit is from a birds-eye view, them saying it's horizontal means that gravity will not affect the resultant force I think.
Original post by Zishi
The angle between any two horizontal things is always like 0o OR 180o...

If someone pushes you from behind, and someone pushes you from the side, both forces are horizontal, but they're not 0 or 180 degrees apart.
Reply 6
Original post by ghostwalker
If someone pushes you from behind, and someone pushes you from the side, both forces are horizontal, but they're not 0 or 180 degrees apart.

Oops, so the question was talking in 3 dimensions, right?
Original post by Zishi
Oops, so the question was talking in 3 dimensions, right?

You don't need three dimensions; you only need two, it's just that they are both horizontal: Forwards & backwards, left & right.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ghostwalker
You don't need three dimesions; you only need two, it's just that they are both horizontal: Forwards & backwards, left & right.

Hmm, I got it. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest