The Student Room Group

As maths

Looking at the AS maths 2022 past papers made me want to cry.. It looks so hard and my exam is tomorrow. But because they had advanced information the 2023 papers would be slightly easier right? Will it be similar to the 2019 paper?

Scroll to see replies

Not sure.... but for the 2022 paper a 60 was an A if that helps?

Original post by kankan06
Looking at the AS maths 2022 past papers made me want to cry.. It looks so hard and my exam is tomorrow. But because they had advanced information the 2023 papers would be slightly easier right? Will it be similar to the 2019 paper?
Reply 2
Original post by kankan06

Same here, do you have any revision advise that you could share?
Reply 3
Original post by SACTIVATE7
Same here, do you have any revision advise that you could share?

As this is last minute revision, I would recommend doing exam questions and past papers from Physics and Maths Tutor. Try to do your weakest topics first. Best of luck!!
How did you find it?
Reply 5
Original post by UndercoverJames
How did you find it?

I found it fairly hard but manageable. What about you?
Original post by SACTIVATE7
I found it fairly hard but manageable. What about you?

Late on this conversation, but by god that was hard (AQA). Hopefully that's the difficult paper. I got Grade 9's at GCSE Maths and Further Maths, but am self-studying AS Maths. Perhaps that's why I found it hard.
Reply 7
Yah, that could be the reason. But the paper itself had a lot of tricky questions

Original post by YCCC33
Late on this conversation, but by god that was hard (AQA). Hopefully that's the difficult paper. I got Grade 9's at GCSE Maths and Further Maths, but am self-studying AS Maths. Perhaps that's why I found it hard.
Reply 8
How did you find it?

That paper was SO HARD, I do OCR btw. The questions were quite difficult and I couldn’t really understand. I just hope paper 2 is better.
Oh my bad! I’m on Edexcel. I think my board gave out a pretty easy Paper 1 !
Reply 10
And I am on AQA, I also hope paper two will be better
How was paper 2? I STRUGGLED

AQA was easier than last week.
Reply 13

I struggled too 😭
Reply 14
Paper 2 Aqa was easy esp stats
Reply 15
I did Maths paper 2 today, I was shocked to say the least. Btw I’m on Edexcel
Heres a list of my answers that i can remember (This is edexcel paper 2, stats and mechanics)

Stats:
1a) (proof)
b) 1.588
c) this would have no effect on the estimation for standard deviation

2a) no correlation
b) There is a negative correlation between these two variables, meaning that the higher the pressure, the lower the rainfall (or whatever variables there were, it might have been some other variables)
c) 1020hPa
d) The beaufort conversion for windspeed is a discrete, categoric variable therefore it would make no sense to find a linear regression for this with another variable.

3a) 12<=x<=32
b) Cannot be independent, as for independence x=21.6, cant have 0.6 students (x must be an integer)

4a) H1: p (not equal to) 0.25
b) O<=X<=6 ( i think, not 100% certain i remember that one correctly) OR 20<=X<=50
c) probability of incorrectly rejecting H0=0.0333
d) falls out of critical region, result is insignificant, failed to reject H0, insufficient evidence to support his belief

5a) P(X=0)=5/14, P(X=1)=15/28, P(X=2)=3/28 (needs to be in the typical probability distributiion format, but these are the numbers i got)
b) 0.0184

Mechanics)

1a) they are both running the same race, so must both cover the same distance overall
b)0.8ms^-2
c)100m
d)3.92=X

2a)h=78.4m
b) Time = 5 seconds
c) force of air resistance against the motion of the particle could be considered

3a) (proof)
b) 8ms^-2
c) (98/3)m

4a) 0.5ms^-2
b) a1 would be less than a
c) the force of air resistance varies with the velocity of the car, hence modelling the resistance against the cars motion to being of a constant magnitude is unrealistic

(PS: these are only my answers if i remember them correctly, i may very well be incorrect so take this with a grain of salt)
Reply 17

*OCR* It was way better than paper 2 but it was still quite hard for me
Reply 18
I had very similar answers for the ones i've done. I completely broke down because of the first question on stats. I missed the last mechanics question and the second part on the SUVAT question. I honestly should've focused only on the Mechanics and did the ones i could answer on the Stats. The papers weren't bad overall but i missed some out which i would've easily done in the class. Pray we get good grade boundaries!

Original post by ConnahPower
Heres a list of my answers that i can remember (This is edexcel paper 2, stats and mechanics)

Stats:
1a) (proof)
b) 1.588
c) this would have no effect on the estimation for standard deviation

2a) no correlation
b) There is a negative correlation between these two variables, meaning that the higher the pressure, the lower the rainfall (or whatever variables there were, it might have been some other variables)
c) 1020hPa
d) The beaufort conversion for windspeed is a discrete, categoric variable therefore it would make no sense to find a linear regression for this with another variable.

3a) 12<=x<=32
b) Cannot be independent, as for independence x=21.6, cant have 0.6 students (x must be an integer)

4a) H1: p (not equal to) 0.25
b) O<=X<=6 ( i think, not 100% certain i remember that one correctly) OR 20<=X<=50
c) probability of incorrectly rejecting H0=0.0333
d) falls out of critical region, result is insignificant, failed to reject H0, insufficient evidence to support his belief

5a) P(X=0)=5/14, P(X=1)=15/28, P(X=2)=3/28 (needs to be in the typical probability distributiion format, but these are the numbers i got)
b) 0.0184

Mechanics)

1a) they are both running the same race, so must both cover the same distance overall
b)0.8ms^-2
c)100m
d)3.92=X

2a)h=78.4m
b) Time = 5 seconds
c) force of air resistance against the motion of the particle could be considered

3a) (proof)
b) 8ms^-2
c) (98/3)m

4a) 0.5ms^-2
b) a1 would be less than a
c) the force of air resistance varies with the velocity of the car, hence modelling the resistance against the cars motion to being of a constant magnitude is unrealistic

(PS: these are only my answers if i remember them correctly, i may very well be incorrect so take this with a grain of salt)
Reply 19
Yah I hope so too

Original post by bcusz
I had very similar answers for the ones i've done. I completely broke down because of the first question on stats. I missed the last mechanics question and the second part on the SUVAT question. I honestly should've focused only on the Mechanics and did the ones i could answer on the Stats. The papers weren't bad overall but i missed some out which i would've easily done in the class. Pray we get good grade boundaries!

Quick Reply

Latest