The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4060
I'm glad that i finally find it scary again! My mum said she used to hide behind the sofa at the Daleks but kids nowadays need more to scare them i think, i used to laugh at the Daleks more than i hid from them.

I was terrified at the Weeping angels, especially because me and my sister were practising setting up our tent for a camping trip and decided to sleep in the back garden for the night. There was scratching noises all night and then our rabbits decided it would be a good idea to wake up at an ungodly hour and start making scary noises as well. :afraid:
Original post by sixthformer
can anyone understand wth is up with the first 2 episodes

what is the girl

why is she a time lord

what happens...

?? who is the doctors wife?

That episode was where the TARDIS was transported into a human (well, it wasn't really human, but it looked human) body, so she could talk to the Doctor. Basically it was Neil Gaiman looking into the Doctor's true love. After all, even when every companion has left him, he always has the TARDIS. And he was pointing out that if the Doctor could marry the TARDIS, then he would.

And we don't know about the girl yet.
Original post by vixki
^ Good, I've never found the daleks at all scary... I think they've been way overused in new who.

The new ones look ridiculous. I mean, I know Doctor Who is trying to appeal to a wide audience but making an orange Dalek isn't the way to do it.
Original post by sleekchic
Steve Moffat to 'rest' the Daleks http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13594932

Doctor Who writer Steven Moffat to 'rest' Daleks
The Daleks are to be given "a rest" from battling Doctor Who, writer Steven Moffat has told the Radio Times.

Moffat, who is also the BBC television show's executive producer, said: "They aren't going to make an appearance for a while. We thought it was about time to give them a rest."

The Daleks were voted the scariest villains in the history of Doctor Who in a poll of fans in 2007.
Moffat said they had been defeated by the Doctor "about 400 times".

Created by Terry Nation, the Daleks are the Doctor's hugely popular enemies who have made regular appearances in the long-running science fiction show since first appearing in 1963.

Moffat said: "There's a problem with the Daleks. They are the most famous of the Doctor's adversaries and the most frequent, which means they are the most reliably defeatable enemies in the universe."

Recent episodes of the show, which stars Matt Smith as the timelord, have been criticised for being "too scary for children".

But Moffat said: "It is horror, but horror for children. It's scary in the way that a fairy story can be scary."

Even after Blink?! Who would vote for Daleks after seeing the Weeping Angels? Really, who? I bet it was a load of middle-aged folk who were getting nostalgic. The Daleks are not - and never will be - scary. Moffat's right, they're so reliably defeatable (I love that phrase, it sounds so strange) and that completely destroys any fear they can create. They're just giant pepperpots with sink plungers. And whisks, for God's sake don't forget the whisks!!
Warning: quite a few of the photos for episode 7 which have been here under spoiler tags are in the Moffat interview spread in today's Radio Times.
this is regarding things that occur in the next episode, but that you can clearly see in the trailer, so just in case people haven't/ don't want to see the trailer...

Spoiler

plus, I am definitely getting one of these: http://forbiddenplanet.com/53222-doctor-who-standee-tardis/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kopite493
for the record i dont not like matt smiths doctor i just believe in certain situations DTs doctor would be more useful

looking back there are times i think MSs would have been better in the DT episodes

Matt Smith versus the Wire. He would have gone mental. Even more so than Tennant. I think Tennant would have done better with the gangers (but only because I'd rather see two Tennants than two Smiths, just a little bit. :lol:). But we can't change anything so oh well.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I like the new Daleks :'(
Original post by Pandora.
*Sneaks in just before midnight*

Anyone else around? :ninjagirl:

Damn, I was! I was sneaking around on the computer at one in the morning (which in my house is about as sensible as telling a Dalek to go and f*** themselves). Wish I'd come on this thread now. Would've enjoyed some more speculating. Ah well.
Original post by LastLordofTime
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I like the new Daleks :'(

It took them ages to work out that a jammy dodger wasn't deadly. They were pathetic. When the Doctor kicked it (epic scene by the way. :biggrin: :biggrin:) I half expected it to break.
Original post by Oncoming Storm
Even after Blink?! Who would vote for Daleks after seeing the Weeping Angels? Really, who? I bet it was a load of middle-aged folk who were getting nostalgic. The Daleks are not - and never will be - scary. Moffat's right, they're so reliably defeatable (I love that phrase, it sounds so strange) and that completely destroys any fear they can create. They're just giant pepperpots with sink plungers. And whisks, for God's sake don't forget the whisks!!

Yeah I think the Weeping Angels are the enemy that terrifies me the most. Tbh though after watching TIA and DotM at midnight in a pitch black house, the Silence are terrifying too. Oh and the gas mask child, watching that in a caravan at night in the middle of Wales...:s-smilie:

Doctor Who has always been scary, I don't know why people are suddenly saying it's too scary for children...

I used to find the Daleks hilarious. You could defeat them by walking up a flight of stairs. The fact that they can now levitate (which is slightly hilarious in itself) actually made them slightly more scary for me :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mess.
I wish I didn't care about spoilers etc as I miss so much on this thread :sad:

It is really hard to filter out spoilers, pure speculation and theories and theories that are based on spoilers. So I avoid everything :sad:

Same. :jumphug: we can be lonely together :ahee:
Original post by Mess.
I wish I didn't care about spoilers etc as I miss so much on this thread :sad:

It is really hard to filter out spoilers, pure speculation and theories and theories that are based on spoilers. So I avoid everything :sad:

I'll try to put if it's actually a spoiler or speculation for you :smile:

Edit: I've also realised that checking this thread is the last thing I do at night and the first thing I do in the morning. :colondollar: I'm cool :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Stargatecrazy
Yeah I think the Weeping Angels are the enemy that terrifies me the most. Tbh though after watching TIA and DotM at midnight in a pitch black house, the Silence are terrifying too. Oh and the gas mask child, watching that in a caravan at night in the middle of Wales...:s-smilie:

Doctor Who has always been scary, I don't know why people are suddenly saying it's too scary for children...

I used to find the Daleks hilarious. You could defeat them by walking up a flight of stairs. The fact that they can now levitate (which is slightly hilarious in itself) actually made them slightly more scary for me :tongue:

Ha, when the Daleks started floating up the stairs, half the adult population of Britain **** themselves and I just sat there not really caring. :lol: I wasn't scared at all. However I do remember sitting in my room in the pitch darkness at 2 in the morning when I was about 10 or so, convinced the empty child was going to come through the door. And also running round in circles in my hallway looking for my second shadow (I actually had two, cos of the way the lights were in my house), and then I just stood there for ages not sure what to do in case the Vashta Nerada were after me. And staring constantly at any statues I saw just in case they were Weeping Angels. And after eating far too much sugar at a sleepover I stayed up till 6 in the morning expecting the Absorbaloff to come into the house and absorb my family. The Absorbaloff isn't even scary!!! I take Dr Who too seriously.
(edited 12 years ago)
@Steven_Moffat just tweeted the following:

"Daleks: I was talking about THIS series. Stand down."
Original post by Oncoming Storm
Ha, when the Daleks started floating up the stairs, half the adult population of Britain **** themselves and I just sat there not really caring. :lol: I wasn't scared at all. However I do remember sitting in my room in the pitch darkness at 2 in the morning when I was about 10 or so, convinced the empty child was going to come through the door. And also running round in circles in my hallway looking for my second shadow (I actually had two, cos of the way the lights were in my house), and then I just stood there for ages not sure what to do in case the Vashta Nerada were after me. And staring constantly at any statues I saw just in case they were Weeping Angels. And after eating far too much sugar at a sleepover I stayed up till 6 in the morning expecting the Absorbaloff to come into the house and absorb my family. The Absorbaloff isn't even scary!!! I take Dr Who too seriously.

:lol: Some things in Doctor Who just terrified me. I keep expecting to wake up in the middle of the night to see a Silence. I can't walk anywhere near graveyards due to angel statues. Now those people who dress up as statues terrify me even more (especially if they're angels)!

And I'm 18 :colonhash: Hmmm, maybr Doctor Who is too scary for little kids :tongue:
Reply 4078
Original post by Yoghurt

It would have been better if the lads one was also dark blue like the girls one :yep:

Latest